2004 1.6 Zetec Auto. Intermittent Starting - billygoat
Car fails to start sometimes, usually after I have refuelled.
Noticed recently, that fuel cutoff did not work and overfuelled it resulting in fuel spillage at petrol station. This has happened a couple of times at different petrol stations, so now I only fill it 3/4 full.
Starting problem only seems to happen the next morning - after i have refuelled.
Last time it happened got a friend to tow me and it started after being towed about half a mile, then worked fine for a few weeks.
Checked fuel into injector rail on cranking and nothing being pumped.
Any suggestions appreciated.
Billy

Edited by Webmaster on 22/06/2008 at 13:36

54 1.6 54 reg 1.6 ZETEC Auto. Intermittent Starti - jc2
Fuel cut-off is on pump nozzle not vehicle,so always put nozzle correctly into filler orifice.If it still happens,tell the service station and claim against them.
54 1.6 ZETEC Auto. Intermittent Starting Fault - billygoat
When the over spill problem happened first i thought it was due to a faulty forecourt nozzole/pump failing to cutoff, but it happened a couple of times now at different petrol stations so It must be something wrong with the car. I am always very careful to put the nozzle in as far as it can go.
Is it possible that fuelling can create a vacuum in the fuel system? This might explain the starting problem too.
54 1.6 ZETEC Auto. Intermittent Starting Fault - jc2
The tank venting whilst filling is separate from the filler pipe and feeds up thro' a separate pipe to near the filler.;when the cap is on the venting to the tank is thro' the carbon canister.
2004 1.6 ZETEC Auto. Intermittent Starting - Screwloose
Billy

When there's no fuel pressure cranking; is there a spark?
2004 1.6 ZETEC Auto. Intermittent Starting - billygoat
Yes, scewloose, there is a spark.

Starting problem reoccurred today and RAC man gave fuel tank a whack while I was cranking it and vroom. started OK.

Seems have a dodgy fuel pump which needs coaxing into life.

Into garage on Monday for further investigation on fuel spillage problem and to have fuel pump changed.

Thanks for all your help.
Billy

Edited by billygoat on 22/06/2008 at 03:25

2004 1.6 ZETEC Auto. Intermittent Starting - billygoat
Garage replaced fuel pump which was causin backpressure pressure when filling resulting in both overspill when filling and fasilure to start. Bizzarre!.
Replaced fuel pump all now working fine.

2004 1.6 ZETEC Auto. Intermittent Starting - Screwloose

Bizarre is right. Thanks for the update - but I'm still struggling to see how it caused the back-pressure when filling.

Still; that's cars for you....