1996 1.2 8V - temp gauge occasionally gets too hot - oldnotbold
Car runs fine if ambient is less than 70 F/ 20 C. Last w/e we went out at 10.00, and had to put the heater on to cool the engine circuit as the temp gauge was heading for 100 C.

Turning on heater full blast (!) keeps the needle in the safe section of the gauge, but still about the 95 that is normal in cooler weather.

No loss/use of cooling fluid, no pressurisation of coolant, no mayo, oil OK. Fuel consumption seems fine.

Any thoughts? Noticed the rad was cooler at base than at top on one such occasion.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 16/06/2008 at 19:49

1996 1.2 1.2 8V - temp guage gets hot if ouside te - Screwloose

Blocked rad/poor circulation is a definite possibility for those symptoms.

Can you get the header tank sniffed for hydrocarbons to eliminate a HGF?

How good are you with the caustic soda?
1996 1.2 1.2 8V - temp guage gets hot if ouside te - oldnotbold
Not HGF - new engine, as the last one had HGF....., so it's got a history of boiling up. Rad is the suspect then. Tell me about the caustic treatment....

The time-honoured method of cleaning out a radiator. Lethal stuff - probably would dissolve a modern Corsa rad. They'll only be pennies for a new one anyway.
They seem to be about £40 new. How easy is it for a half decent amateur plumber to change a rad?

Fairly straightforward on one of those IIRC.
Rad changed - no difference. It had a new water pump when the engine was changed, so the only remaining suspect is the thermostat, which amazingly requires the cam belt to be removed, and so is 90 minutes of professional time. Grrrr.....
1996 1.2 1.2 8V - temp guage gets hot if ouside te - gon
Hey I have a corsa 98; I have the same problem with the tempreature I'd like to clean the radiator but couldn't see a drain tap; could you explain me the caustic soda way?
will I need to drain it? thanks

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 20/06/2008 at 01:38

gon

Use a proprietory radflush; much safer.