True CO2 output - Westpig
just had my car MOT'd. Examiner was kind enough to say that the readings on the Emissions test were very good, which is pleasing as the car is a V6 auto and only really used now in town....however, it is maintained properly via a Jag Independent, I only ever use BP Ultimate fuel and it gets an 'Italian Tune' roughly once a month

it has got me thinking though

would a well maintained so called 'gas guzzler' beat a poorly maintained smaller car on emissions?... or would a well built quality car beat a cheap one that tended to go out of tune more quickly? etc, etc

the figures for my 9 year old auto Jag S Type are as follows:

Fast Idle....
CO...............0.003% (limit <0.2%)
HC...............12 ppm (limit < 200ppm)
lambda.........1.008 (limit 0.970 - 1.030)

the car is too old to have the CO output on the V5, but a bit of research suggests that this car is shown as being 259 g/km

Will I be entitled to look a bit smug... or will I be shot down in flames and have to slink off back to the shadows with my shoulders down. I'm afraid my knowledge on this subject matter is somewhat lacking.
True CO2 output - Blue {P}
CO is Carbon MONoxide as far as I know, not Carbon DIoxide.

Sorry I can't be of more help as I don't know anything about it either!

True CO2 output - DP
The level of CO2 is a function of the amount of fuel burned. The more fuel burned, the more CO2 produced. This is why big cars are generally higher, small cars lower, and diesels lower still. CO2 emissions are given as an absolute level, so x grams per kilometre or other constant.

The MOT tests are a proportion or percentage. They do not take into account how much exhaust gas is produced in the first place, just what the gas consists of.

Bigger engines produce more exhaust gas than smaller ones, so for a given percentage of the total exhaust gas, the bigger engine is more polluting.

But it is possible that a well maintained, healthy "big engine" such as yours, can be less polluting than a smaller, badly maintained engine, or one with a fuelling fault.

True CO2 output - RichardW
But what's tested on the MOT bears no relation to the amount of CO2 the car is putting out - the emissions test is to check the engine is in tune and the cat and associated systems are working. All petrol cars (of a similar age) are subject to the same emissions levels in MOT test, but can have vastly different outputs of CO2 (like by a factor of 5).
True CO2 output - moonshine {P}
But what's tested on the MOT bears no relation to the amount of CO2 the
car is putting out - the emissions test is to check the engine is in
tune and the cat and associated systems are working. All petrol cars (of a similar
age) are subject to the same emissions levels in MOT test but can have vastly
different outputs of CO2 (like by a factor of 5).

Richard is spot on.

The MOT measures Carbon MonOxide

CO2 is Carbon DiOxide

Look to the MPG figures to get an idea of what cars produce the most/least CO2 per mile.