Can you tell by looking at 115bhp against a 100bhp - bobit
I am in the market for one of these focus zetec's and have read all the reccomendations as to which one to go for and the like - But how can you tell which is which by looking under the bonnet ?

answers on a postcard please !!

many thanks
Can you tell by looking at 115bhp against a 100bhp - Ed V
Interesting question to which my answer is, no idea! I wonder how many BRs would pass this GCSE question in motoring?
Can you tell by looking at 115bhp against a 100bhp - grahamw
I believe the only visable difference under the bonnet is the inlet manifold;
these are black plactic and are on the front of the engine. On my 100bhp there is a gap between the 1st pipe looking left to right, where there is a tube going to the air filter housing on the right. The other 3 pipes are joined together. The 115bhp has a different manifold configeration.
I hope this helps.
Can you tell by looking at 115bhp against a 100bhp - Snakey
Do Fords of this era not have a sticker under the bonnet somewhere that says '100 PS' or similar?
Can you tell by looking at 115bhp against a 100bhp - L'escargot
I assume you're talking about the 115 PS 1.8 litre petrol engine, and the 100 PS 1.6 litre petrol engine. If this is the case, then (according to Haynes) the engine code and engine number of the 1.8 litre is stamped on the front left-hand side of the engine, next to the transmission flange; the engine code and engine number of the 1.6 litre is stamped on the front left-hand side of the engine, below the throttle housing.
No afraid not - I want to be able to tell the difference between the 100bhp 1.6 and the newer 115bhp 1.6. the one with the TI-VCT name.

thanks though for your reply!!
I will have a look - does your casing cover say duratec across the top, because I have been told that the 115bhp TI VCT does not?
not 100% though.

many thanks for your reply tho !!
I will have a look - does your casing cover say duratec across the top, because I have been told that the 115bhp TI VCT does not?
not 100% though.

many thanks for your reply tho !!

Can you tell by looking at 115bhp against a 100bhp - DP
The Ti-VCT engine looks like this:

tinyurl.com/6knocv

Can't find a pic for the normal unit, but I suspect a good pointer will be the presence (or not) of the two round lumps in the side of the cambelt cover, just visible in this pic. This will be the VCT gubbins which the 100PS version doesn't have.

Cheers
DP
spot on my friend.

I've been looking all over for just this to help me out.

much appreciated
cheers
Pete
Can you tell by looking at 115bhp against a 100bhp - MikeTorque
The inlet manifold configuration is the easiest way to tell. The 115ps configuration has straight inlet manifolds, the 100ps has bent inlet manifolds.

Edited by MikeTorque on 12/06/2008 at 01:14

Thankyou,

between DP and yourself I am in no doubt you are quite correct - just that when I ask a salesman what engine it has in I can be sure or not whether he is telling the truth or making it up.

thanks again.

Pete
Can you tell by looking at 115bhp against a 100bhp - MikeTorque
As a further check the vehicle id can be computer checked by the dealer/saleman for any car you are interested in. Also the registration document will show whether it's a 115 ps or 100 ps.