99 1.9 reverse lights staying on - mickthematelot
A few people recently have stopped me whilst driving along to inform me that my brake REVERSE lights are still on. This seems to be an intermittent snag and I was wondering if it could just be a sticky switch, if so does anyone know where it is and how I get to it? The car is a 1999, 1.9 TDI, 115bhp, Auto/Tiptronic Estate

{edit taken place - AGAIN!}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 01/07/2008 at 19:42

99 1.9 brake light staying on - mickthematelot
whoops-I'd misread this to read that the OP was correcting himself to reverse lights. - given DD's post at the end I was wrong

Edited by Pugugly on 05/06/2008 at 20:09

99 1.9 brake light staying on - 659FBE
Just take the bulbs out. They're not a legal requirement, most people don't need them to see with and a proper repair will be expensive.

Edited by Pugugly on 05/06/2008 at 20:09

99 1.9 Brake light staying on - George Porge
I quite like to know if someone in front of me intends to reverse into a parking space for example
99 1.9 Brake light staying on - Hamsafar
You could get a 12v buzzer from maplins, wire into the bulb-holder, and then you would know when they come on and would be able to try and spot a pattern, or wiggle the shifter to turn them off. IIRC (certainly on facelift ones) there are two male spade connectors on the bulb holder assembly one of which is 12v when reversing lights are on.

www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=3213&C=Mapli...6

Edited by Hamsafar on 05/06/2008 at 17:18

99 1.9 Brake light staying on - Dynamic Dave
Just take the bulbs out. They're not a legal requirement ....

See his 2nd post in which he corrects himself, and the subject title. Not reverse lights, but brake lights are on all the time.

OP, guessing the switch is up under the dash somewhere near the brake pedal.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 05/06/2008 at 19:57

99 1.9 Brake light staying on - Screwloose

Now I'm confused?? It was definitely the reversing lights, not the brake lights, earlier.

If it's the brake lights; are all three staying on, or just the lower pair?

If it's the brake lights....
99 1.9 Brake light staying on - mickthematelot
Sorry for the confusion. It is definitely the REVERSE LIGHTS which are intermittently staying on. Does anyone know how tho get the switch, hopefully a bit of WD40 will do the trick?

{edited once more. However, I'm not doing each post, only the topmost one}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 01/07/2008 at 19:43