1997 1.9 Possible fuel pump problem??? - Ritz-dog
Got a '97 1.9TD 306. Got about 111k on the clock, all accounted for. Recently it's been taking a few attempts to start (turns over for about 10 seconds, then i stop and try again), engine is firing. When it does get huge cloud of smoke from the exhaust. After is starts then it's 1st time on the button every time after that. I've been told that the riser pump inside the fuel pump may be on it's way out meaning that the fuel is being sucked back and that they cost about £1500 for a new one? I changed the fuel filter today to see if it was something simple and i noticed a few (about 20) glitter-sized metallic fragments inside the filter housing. I rang a friend who said that this is most likely the fuel pump starting to wear away which is a common problem with the 306's
As i only bought the car about 1.5 years ago for £1500 i'm reluctant to fork out for a new fuel pump when i could just get another car and i also don't want any suprise break-downs if the pump is due to fail as i do quite a few miles in my job
Any ideas or comments greatfully received as my PC knowledge is excellent, my car and mechanical knowledge is pathetic)
Thanks in advance as alwayd
1997 1.9 Possible fuel pump problem??? - astrabob
Certainly worthwhile checking that the glowplugs are OK, and that voltage is supplied to the glowplugs when starting. This is a simple test for a garage or auto-electrician, and shouldn't be too expensive.

The clouds of smoke when it does finally start suggests that fuel is getting into the cylinders, and that it isn't a pump problem.
1997 1.9 Possible fuel pump problem??? - nick74
I would second checking/replacing the glowplugs. Fuel pump failure on this engine is generally very rare.
1997 1.9 Possible fuel pump problem??? - thomp1983
id bet it's a combination of two things,

the first is fuel drain back overnight due to an air leak, this is why first thing it takes several turns to get the fuel back up to the injectors, tracing these leaks can be a pain but not that hard if your willing to get your hands dirty.

secondly you're likely to have at least 1 glow plug dead, most likely the one behind the fuel pump, they aren't that expensive for a full set but only use beru plugs, available from your local gsf car parts.

chris
1997 1.9 Possible fuel pump problem??? - whitie
cost about £26 qwid for a set of 4 heater plugs,dead easy to fit,warm the engine up first as it makes the plugs easier to remove than when the engine cold,the clouds of smoke will be the exsess fuel when you been turnin it over,should replace the plugs every 2 - 3 years,had the same proplem on my lasy car(306 d turbo)good luck
1997 1.9 Possible fuel pump problem??? - Ritz-dog
SORTED! turned out it had 4 dead glow plugs! Thanks to all for your advice and tips £26 indeed for the full set, now starts on the button every time
Yipee