04 1.2 Lambda signal wire - 9884booth
Can anybody tell me which is the output signal wire on the exhaust lambda sensor. I want to use a tested as I think it's faulty but need to know which wire is the signal

Edited by Pugugly on 29/05/2008 at 21:52

04 1.2 Lambda sigmal wire - Screwloose

As a general rule; it'll be the black wire on a Zirconia sensor. There'll be two of them on an '04 - pre-cat and post-cat.

Remember that the reading is of the oxygen level in the exhaust; the sensor reports it - it doesn't control it. Just because the front sensor isn't sweeping does not mean that it's faulty.

04 1.2 Lambda sigmal wire - topbloke
the other two are/should be white this is the heater part of the sensor check for voltage if okay then check for resistance through the sensor lastly check that you are getting a good earth through the exhaust system to the engine to the chassis
04 1.2 Lambda sigmal wire - 9884booth
I've an AVO can you descibe in more detail what I need to check.

Which do I chaeck for voltage and what is ok?

Which do I check for resistance, assume any resistance is ok?

How do I check for good earth

Thanks for replying

Steve
04 1.2 Lambda sigmal wire - topbloke
assuming that you have a four wire sensor then one wire (white ) should be battery voltage the other will /should be earth , determine which one is live connect positive lead(from avo) to the live and earth lead from avo to the exhaust this proves exhaust is earthing okay and that you have batt voltage from ecu then swap the earth lead to the other white lead this should complete the circuit again if that side is okay then you will need to check the resistance through the sensor it should have a fairly high resistance no resistance means open circuit means its scrap, the voltage sweeping on the other two wires is milli volts and i dont know if the avo would be quick enough to sweep a digital meter would be better a range between 0 mv up to 999mv constantly sweeping up and down what the sensor is telling the ecu is the quantity of air in the exhaust gasses just because it is stationary dosn't mean that its faulty it could have an air leak and tell the ecu that it needs more fuel, or another sensor is making the ecu run a weak mixture