Part exchange no cash? - Round The Bend
My wife has a Megane Scenic Alize 98S 64K. Although it has a FSH it is tatty outside with a few parking scrapes(!)etc.
My wife wants something smaller (a Ka or Fiesta perhaps) but I don't want the hassle of selling privately and would prefer to go for a dealer part exchange - the issue is that I don't want to part with any cash so a straight swap would be my ideal.
I realise that this gives all the best cards to the dealer - but what do you think my chances might be?
Part exchange no cash? - M.M
Ian,

It is just possible to do a swap or reverse deal but boy will you lose out.

Say you just wanted to change your Renault for a different colour, I guess a dealer would want £1500 plus between his inflated retail and harsh trade-in on the same vehicle.

Do a private sale then purchase and you'll end up with cash back. Go on, it's worth a try.

Shame about the scrapes though, the dealer is going to knock off the rectification cost and it'll put off private folks. Worth getting a sensible estimate to do yourself before sale??

Good luck,

David W
Part exchange no cash? - Steve G
Sorry Ian but your just being lazy ! ;-)
This kind of deal will cost you £ 1500/2000 in real terms so you will being parting with money.
Why not call one of the mobile scratch-removal companies out ?
A Scenic should sell quickly privately if priced sensibly.
With the cash from the Scenic you could buy a Ka/Fiesta privately or thru a car supermarket.
You know it makes sense !
Part exchange no cash? - Andrew T
I recently traded from a 2000W to a 1999T, and the part-ex was equal to the windscreen price. Salesman er-ummed a bit, had to ask the boss, but in the end no probs. I didn't see any reason why there should be, since £1000+ margin was there to be made. On the other hand my car had no scrapes etc. However, both the prices matched closely the figures in Parkers (and were £1500 better than the same deal at the Peugeot dealership down the road). So shop round and reason should prevail somewhere.