More efficient propulsion - cjehuk
Whilst the media is filled with people claiming that a hybrid is the way forwards (America) or that a small car with no luxuries is the only possible way (various pressure groups), it amazes me as an engineer that very little effort is put into exposing just how much more we can get without going very far off the beaten track and certainly without adding huge complex systems of hybridisation to a vehicle.

Certainly a primary concern is going to be saving weight, and we can do that very easily by using Aluminium albeit at a cost compared to using Steels. This is of course consequence that few people are willing to pay for in comparison, because ultimately the bottom line matters to anyone, however a premium of £1000-1500 for car can be shown to work when the return is great enough e.g. diesel engines currently command this kind of premium in many cases.

What I'm more interested in though is the ways in which the engine itself can be made more efficient. The first one is really simple, downsizing and turbocharging to capture waste energy from the exhaust and we're seeing this happen at the moment, but we could happily take it further than this. The heat coming out of the exhaust isn't all consumed going through the turbo (though it would be nice if it were - turbines/turbos work using a delta in temperature across them to harness power). That low grade heat that is left is of a similar value to that discharged by the cooling system, not really hot enough to do useful work but of significant cost anyway. BMW made a demonstrator a couple of years back that captured exhaust heat to add extra power, and there's no reason why we couldn't do this to generate electricity or even run the air conditioning system. This works more or less the same as a kerosene fridge and would remove significant loads from the engine e.g. a Range Rover has a 14kW (19Hp) air conditioning pump and a 100A (say 5Hp) alternator. Now imagine how much less fuel said car would use when not consuming a "base load" of 24Hp before even moving. We should start on the bigger cars too because there is more potential benefit here.

We can do much with gearing too if the motoring press and motorist can get over the idea that they would have to shift down or the transmission would have to shift down to accelerate. This is akin to keeping the revs low and throttle open (most efficient running is generally at 3/4 throttle or so with lowest engine revs that generate the necessary power) whilst cruising.

A good example of what can be achieved in miniature in a car is what we see in CHP power stations. The company I work for, a well know UK aero engine manufacture has installed gas turbines in power stations in Europe where the combined output efficiency is over 94% considering the electrical output and the heating output used in the local area. We already use the heat from the engine to warm our cabins, we could also use it to cool them too.

None of these engine based technologies are new, nor substantially heavier than those being removed (aircon) and nor are they unproven. What they are though is a shift from the norm, and the question is which manufacturers are willing to make the first jump. Personally I hope it's Tata Jaguar/Land Rover because they have the most to gain and the best models to demonstrate on due to their current consumption rates. I suspect it will be BMW however and to be fair to them their efficient dynamics packages should be present on all cars as a licensed technology or manufacturers own derivative.

What ideas do other members have for improving our cars for efficiency?
More efficient propulsion - zookeeper
too much to read there old boy
More efficient propulsion - Saltrampen
Engineers come up with really innovotive ideas re-cars only to be beaten back to their CAD programs by Car Maker accountants and told to do it again with sellotape and a cereal packet.
Any really innovotive idea may involve a complete rebuild of the car factory as well as retooling, so unless it is a big seller, very risky for car maker.
Go for a Turbo -diesel-electric hybrid combined with a modern stirling motor to recoup heat and use it to recharge batteries as well as regen braking and stop-start technology, should be able to break the 100mpg barrier in a small car...dread to think of the cost, must be high as I heard PSA have given up on Diesel - electric due to high costs.

More efficient propulsion - b308
dread to think of the
cost must be high as I heard PSA have given up on Diesel - electric
due to high costs.

Could you please explain why there is a problem replacing a petrol engine with a diesel in a hybrid? I always thought that the only reason current hybrids are petrol is to satisfy the US market due to their aversion to diesel, not because of any technical issues....

Think the high costs must just relate to hybrids in general, not d-e in particular - all that extra electrical gear and batteries....?
Not an expert on diesel electric hybrids, but I would guess diesels need much more torque to start them off. Hybrids use a stop/start system for the mechanical part of the powerplant, so I would guess there are issues with getting a smooth power delivery as the diesel motor kicks in and out.
The other possible issue could be the fact that diesels and electric motors generate lots of torque, combine the two and you may need special autoboxes and torque limiters. This technology is available but it is an additional cost vs petrol hybrid.
Finally PSA normally targets the mid to cheaper end of the car market, there will not be many buyers for a Diesel electric 207 at £18k, even if it could do 100mpg. But who knows about the future , so suspect PSA probably have shelved the project and may revisit it in the future?

The US aversion to diesel may change if petrol prices continue to increase. Does anyone know how the % of diesel sales in the US has changed in the last few years?
More efficient propulsion - Leif
Kind of repeating what has already been said, but doesn't it cost a lot to develop a new engine, albeit largely with existing technology? After all, if you look at many cars such as the Ford Ka, you see that the engine is really rather an old design, with a few improvements made every few years. Some manufacturers such as BMW seem to use whizzy technology, but then again I suspect that this is reflected in the relatively high purchase price of BMW cars.

What is mitigating against efficient cars is the mass of EU laws. Modern cars are very heavy compared to ones from 20 years ago, and yet they have better MPG. The extra weight is largely due to safety regulations, requiring a more rigid body cell, with crumple zones. That probably means that plastic body panels (low weight) are a no go.
More efficient propulsion - Muggy
I wonder whether it might be possible to develop some kind of system similar to a scaled down version of the momentum flywheel in a Parry People Mover that could act as a sort of energy store during a journey?

Obviously it wouldn't be effective at the start of a journey, but once under way if some of the energy used from braking or the exhaust heat could be store in such a flywheel and later harnessed to assist with acceleration and cruising there should be an appreciable fuel saving.

Would have to be offset against the effects of carting the weight of the system around on the shorter trips, though?
More efficient propulsion - P3t3r
I think improving efficientcy of 'normal' engines is probably the way forward at the moment. I have heard that we can make more savings this way than by using alternative fuels.

I think small Turbos are a great idea, and think they should have been used at an earlier date. I'd really like to get a small Turbo, but at the moment there aren't many around so I'll probably engine with a normal petrol engine :(. I think the Twingo GT is a real step forward IIRC 48mpg and 0-60 in 9.5s. I bet the Aygo/107/C1 would be great if they added a turbo to the 1.0 engine!

Reducing weight would also be good. You can see some of the benefits by looking at the Lotus Elise, you can get 40mpg with the performance of an Impreza. Unfortunately I can't see cars loosing much weight because of all the features (particulary safety features) that people want.
More efficient propulsion - FotheringtonThomas
What I'm more interested in though is the ways in which the engine itself can
be made more efficient.

That's one thing to look at - another is quite simple - where does the power "go", i.e. what is the engine's output mainly used in doing? In what ways could that be reduced?

What ideas do other members have for improving our cars for efficiency?

See en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automobile_drag_coefficients

Also consider that the power required is approximately proportional to the square of speed.

So with a conventional engine, the simplest way to maximise efficiency is to reduce both drag and speed.
More efficient propulsion - Kiwi Gary
Re comments above about Peugeot diesel-electric hybrid - I am not so sure that it has ben shelved. Because I leased a 307 whilst in Europe a couple of years ago, I am on their junk-mail list. Earlier in the week, I received their latest glossy brochure on what is forthcoming into N.Z. The d-e was there, claiming 2.3 litres / 100 km. I wonder if they are thinking of using our small market as the testing ground whilst keeping it quiet in Europe until the bugs are ironed out.
What is happening with the Astra-sized d-e that GM are developing, anyone know?
More efficient propulsion - Dynamic Dave
b308, do you mean this one?

globalmotors.net/20092010-opel-astra-spied-also-in.../

This one!

www.wired.com/cars/energy/news/2005/03/66949
More efficient propulsion - BrianW
It must surely be possible to replace the alternator with a bank of thermocouples on the exhaust?

No moving parts and zero power consumption.

More efficient propulsion - craig-pd130
I'm still puzzled why the Toyota & Lexus hybrids have combined drive.

Why not just use electric traction motors to drive the wheels, and have the engine running only to top up the batteries when they need it? That way you could have a much smaller engine, and smaller batteries because you've got charging on tap when its needed.

I thought the early 90s Volvo ECC gas-turbine hybrid was a great idea, the small turbine just drives a generator so it can run at optimum rpm at all times, for a clean exhaust.

Also, I really want a jet car :-D

More efficient propulsion - Number_Cruncher
>>Why not just use electric traction motors to drive the wheels, and have the engine running only to top up the batteries when they need it?

Sounds ideal doesn't it?

The problem is that you would have to size the traction motors to cope with worst case conditions, and so, for most driving, they would be seriously over-sized, and so, it wouldn't be as efficient a solution as you might first imagine.

A combined drive allows each drive to be sensibly sized, and when acting together can overcome worst cases conditions, like steep hill starts, long mountain climbs, etc, but, are efficiently sized when running alone propelling the vehicle under relatively lightly loaded cruise conditions.

Again not an expert on this, but I'd assume the batteries have a maximum charging current
which may mean unless you have many batteries in the car, that only a very small engine is needed and it may need to run for many hours to give you 1/2 hour of electric only driving.
Also you cannot charge a battery at the same time as drawing high currents from it, so you would need to have a bank of batteries on charge and another bank being used to supply power OR the batteries only recharge when not driving the wheels (ie downhill) which happens in current hybrids via the motors acting as generators. If going slow in a hybrid and batteries are weak, motor will fire up anyway from what I have read about them.

Gas - turbine - sounds great but would need batteries as well since Cars accelerate and decelerate all the time and gas turbines like to run at constant and high revs otherwise they become inefficient. Turbine - batteries - motors - generators all in one car sounds very expensive at the moment.
thanks both -- good points.

Although the ECC prototype was only 75kg heavier than the equivalent Volvo 850, and with advances in battery & electric motor technology over the last 16 years I bet it could be made a lot lighter!
I seem to recall recently about the development of flexible photo-voltaic solar panels.

A hybrid car covered in those would at least top up a little when parked in daylight away from base.
More efficient propulsion - Old Navy
Has anyone worked out who is going to fix these things? Some garages cant even service or fix current cars properly.
Haynes have put out a manual for the Prius, I'd actually quite like to read it to see what the owner CAN actually do ...
More efficient propulsion - Old Navy
Would any of the above buy a 3 year old, out of warranty, on board gas turbine charged, battery powered, electric motor driven, car? Fitted with electric brakes with regeneration, thermoelectric exhaust, photoelectric roof and bonnet and also fitted with a mains charging lead should there be a pressing need to transfer ones carbon output to a coal fired power station.
If it had a gas turbine, I would :)

I'd love to have a jet car!
More efficient propulsion - Enoughalready
We'll all be driving air powered cars one day anyway. I wonder where taxes will be applied to make up for the shortfall?

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/2281011.stm
That's where your road pricing comes in.

Instead of paying 8p per mile in fuel tax you'll pay up to £1.30 per mile road charges.
I seem to recall recently about the development of flexible photo-voltaic solar panels.

Not that effective in the UK, especially Wales and Scotland ...

And, park it in Liverpool, and when you return not only is the car on bricks, but the valuable solar cells will have gone walkies down to the local pub ... [Runs for cover]

But seriously, the weight of a solar panel might offset any advantages.
More efficient propulsion - Sofa Spud
I think hybrids are with us to stay and that when diesel/electric hybrids hit the market their real benefits will become apparent.

One disadvantage I've heard for hybrids is that once they are cruising along a motorway, they are less efficient than a car with mechanical drive. So why not have a diesel hybrid that normally works with electric drive but shifts to a mechanical 'lock-up' when cruising at over, say, 55 mph AND the battery is fully recharged?
More efficient propulsion - Sofa Spud
Quote:.....>>>"I'm still puzzled why the Toyota & Lexus hybrids have combined drive. "

Am I right in thinking that thre regenerative braking system is able to recover about 50% of the energy used to accelerate the car, and that the petrol engine provides the other 50% to maintain the 'Synergy' drive? The key feature of their hybrid system is the regenerative braking and how best to integrate that with the power from the petrol engine.

Quote:.....>>> I seem to recall recently about the development of flexible photo-voltaic solar panels.

Photovoltaic 'tarmac' for car parks would be good - then you could plug the car in to recharge while parked.

Edited by Sofa Spud on 04/06/2008 at 17:10

Photo voltaics use Iridium which is an expensive and rare element. If there was a surge in demand for these devices the price would go higher and there is some question on whether all the demand could be met. Photocell manufacturers are looking at alternatives.
The best photocell is still a leaf...so perhaps one day we would have a leafy car charging the batteries..until autumn comes...umm Ford fOAKus and Lotus FLOWER. (sorry couldn't resist it!)

Photo voltaics use Iridium which is an expensive and rare element. If there was a
surge in demand for these devices the price would go higher and there is some
question on whether all the demand could be met.

I read that the cost of offshore windmills has sky rocketed due to increased demand allowing manufacturers to increase prices.

Regarding the Prius, by all accounts it is no more efficient in terms of mpg than a comparable diesel car. I would have thougt that removing the heavy batteries and wheel motors would remove so much weight that the performance on long journeys would skyrocket, and combined performance might well be just as good anyway. And the cost would be significantly less. And less to maintain too. I think a lot of the Prius appeal (to some) is that it is trendy.
More efficient propulsion - kiss (keep it simple)
Another advantage of the regenerative braking system is reduced brake and disk wear, especially for taxis where they get a hammering.
More efficient propulsion - Lud
I think a lot of the Prius appeal
(to some) is that it is trendy.

After all the technical ingenuity of the thing has a beguiling side. And running gently in town on a full battery it is absolutely silent, not just very quiet like many modern cars. Indeed that is what some people complain about, these things creeping up behind them when they are waddling about in the road without looking.

I'd like to try one although I don't want one, but I am told I shouldn't because I have a pacemaker. Apparently the Prius runs along generating sudden surges of magnetic flux, theoretically capable of making unwanted adjustments to that excellent device.
More efficient propulsion - Cosec
I read an article on the Fisker Karma the other day. Now there is a clean car I would not mind owning! Anyone else seen these?
Apparently the Prius runs along generating sudden surges of magnetic flux <<

Didn't know that -- could be hazardous to those with steel plates & pins too :)