Dual Mass flywheels on petrol cars? - Pete Mansell
Are dual mass flywheels ever fitted to petrol cars?

In Honest John's column in today's Telegraph, the reply to 2 letters about clutch judder is that it is probably the DM flywheels at fault. However the letters do not say anything about them being diesel. Hence my question.

Pete
Dual Mass flywheels on petrol cars? - shadyarea
I have a 2001 mondeo 2.0ltr petrol and that is fitted with a DMF according to ford when i priced up a clutch kit a few weeks ago
Dual Mass flywheels on petrol cars? - Number_Cruncher
I'm not too sure about HJ's reply.

If it's the dual mass flywheel, why does it only affect the first clutch use of the day?
Dual Mass flywheels on petrol cars? - nick
Yes, that occurred to me too. Maybe they warm up after the first use and become more pliable. But if it was failing I'd expect symptoms most of the time.
>>Number cruncher is misquoting me.

No, I'm not, I'm referring to your response in yesterday's DT motoring supplement, which, given that both questions state that the problem occurs with the first application of the clutch does not point to DMF in any way, yet, that's what your respose talks about.

>>Number cruncher is misquoting me.

Bump.
Dual Mass flywheels on petrol cars? - tr7v8
Unlikely to be the DMF most likely oil on the clutch plate, but this is a man who still talks of chain cams so limited mechanical knowledge!

And yup some petrols have been fitted with DMFs like Porsche 964, 968 & lots of mercs as mentioned
Dual Mass flywheels on petrol cars? - J Bonington Jagworth
"the first clutch use of the day"

That's more likely to be moisture (condensation), IMHO, esp. if kept outside.
Dual Mass flywheels on petrol cars? - tr7v8
"the first clutch use of the day"
That's more likely to be moisture (condensation) IMHO esp. if kept outside.

Could also be that as well.
>>That's more likely to be moisture (condensation), IMHO, esp. if kept outside.

Yes, I think that's a much more plausible explanation than the DMF.

Dual Mass flywheels on petrol cars? - Bagpuss
Mercedes has been fitting dual mass flywheels to petrol engined cars since the days of the W201 (190). Starting with the larger engined variants, it was introduced in the W124 across the range. As far as I know, all subsequent rear wheel drive Mercs have been fitted with DMFs (though someone with better knowledge may beg to differ). In practice, as almost all Mercs have automatics, this means not very many.