Odd, ain't it, road and hospital deaths - PhilW
Latest figures
"MRSA and Clostridium difficile were linked to more than 8,000 deaths in England and Wales in 2006, up from 5,300 the previous year. "
"In total there were 6,424 deaths from C difficile almost double the 3,719 deaths caused by the infection in 2005. "

"Road casualties in Britain fell last year, although figures show the decline in deaths has now reached a plateau.
Deaths fell to 3,201 in 2005, a drop of 0.6%, with serious injuries down 7%. "

So why aren't hospital workers/managers persecuted/prosecuted like drivers?
Or is this too political to discuss?

Odd, ain't it, road and hospital deaths - sirdave
Ever been in a hospial recently ?

I had the misfortune of visiting one & was quite pleased to keep using the alcohol hand disinfectant as the place was so disgustingly dirty that I would not allow my dog in there for the night.

I wonder why they are killing people.

Now that the speed cameras have done their job (grimace), perhaps the army of people they employ that are no longer needed could get scrubbing down the local hospital and prevent some real casualties.

Oh to be in the real world, bring back Hatty Jakes, well she looked the part anyway.

Odd, ain't it, road and hospital deaths - Waino
Or is this too political to discuss?>>

There's an embargo on politics until the poll stations close ..... we wouldn't want Broon blaming the by-election result on voters being influenced by what they'd read on the Backroom! ;-)
Odd, ain't it, road and hospital deaths - ndbw
I too have wondered about this,deaths in 1938/9 were approx. 8000 per annum with far fewer cars,car safety has of course improved greatly but considering the huge increase in vehicles on the road I dont think present figures are bad where as hospital deaths from infection are frightening.

ndbw
Odd, ain't it, road and hospital deaths - jbif
So why aren't hospital workers/managers persecuted/prosecuted like drivers?

Or you could also ask why this is allowed to continue [report from today's news]:
news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7414322.stm
"In 2006 there were 6,500 deaths related to xxxxxxx .. "
" ... xxxxxxx was the main or secondary cause of 207,800 NHS admissions in 2006/7, compared to 93,500 in 1995/96. "

Odd, ain't it, road and hospital deaths - qxman {p}
My father in law died of MRSA about 8 years ago. The truth is that he was very old, very frail, and had a very major operation. He was terribly weak and the MRSA took hold. Although recorded as an MRSA death, he would not have lasted long if he hadn't got it.
On recent visits to hospital (my son had to have a minor op last year) it seemed very clean. In fact the major source of contamination was probably the visitors. When I was in the time before that (around 1991) the place was absolutely filthy, so it has improved a lot, although obviously the MRSA has become more widespread over the years.
Mind you, years back, before the cleaning was 'outsourced' they used to be kept spotless.
Odd, ain't it, road and hospital deaths - billy25
A lot of people don't know this! - Everybody carries BOTH MRSA bacteria and CANCEROUS cells to some degree on thier bodies all the time. All it takes is something (often minor) to trigger activity and off it goes, in the case of Cancer even a slight knock can trigger it, in the case of Mrsa, an open wound from an injury or operation is perfect.
When i went to a NHS hospital for my Heart op, i was literally admitted the night before, monitored overnight, pre-med ed and then at the last minute cancelled and discharged due to an emergency case. Six months later i was admitted to a Private London hospital, three days prior, batteries of tests, including swabbing of body areas ;-) for the Mrsa bacteria were carried out, and nothing left to chance.
With regard to this thread, my point is, there is no need for hospitals to be dirty, no need for hospitals to cut corners, they can work to exacting standards when private customers are paying for it out of thier own pocket, so they should be able to do it when paid by the majority via the government.
Somebody mentioned it earlier, when Matron (H.Jakes) went, so did her standards.

Billy
Odd, ain't it, road and hospital deaths - boxsterboy
The thing that gets me is that the government seem to think that any road death is unacceptable and avoidable, and that there is no such thing as an accident. Well, obviously a road death is pretty unacceptable to the people/family involved, but life has risks and when you think of the millions of vehicle movements/miles every day in this country, an amount of accidents is unavoidable. I think the current level of road deaths is too high, but you can never reduce to zero, and so there has to be a trade-off.

People die in trains and buses, but they are not persecuted in the same way that cars are.
Odd, ain't it, road and hospital deaths - Westpig
as far as i'm concerned, for both disciplines i.e. hospital care versus road deaths... you need to concentrate on what matters most:

not the politics, not the cheapest, not head in sand

Hospitals...nurses need to nurse. If that means feeding someone or clearing up some mess, then so be it. A senior nurse needs to be in charge of a ward and if something needs cleaning, get it done straight away, not wait for a contract cleaner on the minimum wage the following morning. There needs to be enough nurses to do this effectively. Get rid of the glut of managers, they don't clean things or feed an elderly patient.

Car accidents... relying on the 'Speed Kills' propoganda is flawed, because it is only a small part of what causes an accident. It will probably have some benefits, but those benefits will reach a natural limit, because blitzing Mr or Mrs Average, via speed cameras, does not address the real problem as they don't generally drive like complete idiots...and are legal which means their car is registered and traceable, unlike the oik.To improve things further there needs to be a blitz on some of the other causes e.g. dangerous driving, unregistered vehicles, no insurance, no driving licence, poor vehicle maintenance, drink or drug driving, etc. Many many accidents that end in death are caused by 'oiks' who don't give a hoot for the law...when caught, they need to be LOCKED UP, not given some daft half way penalty that to them is no penalty at all.

Odd, ain't it, road and hospital deaths - Leif
Hospitals...nurses need to nurse. If that means feeding someone or clearing up some mess then
so be it. A senior nurse needs to be in charge of a ward and
if something needs cleaning get it done straight away not wait for a contract cleaner
on the minimum wage the following morning.

Modern nurses are degree trained, and many think it beneath them to dirty their hands by cleaning a patient or a ward. I could go on but with due deference to the moderators, I won't.
Odd, ain't it, road and hospital deaths - qxman {p}
People die in trains and buses but they are not persecuted in the same way
that cars are.

I have to disagree. Public transport is generally many times safer than private car (in terms of deaths per million passenger km, or whatever). And when there is a train/plane etc crash there are massive and quite exhaustive investigations.
My son is about to take his driving test and I have two daughters coming up to the age to learn. I am actually quite pleased that there is an emphasis on road safety. Road traffic, one way or another, presents probably the biggest safety threat to my kids. On the evening of May 15th one of my son's friends was killed in a car accident, naturally his family are devastated. Another of his friends wrote off his father's car earlier this year, just 3 weeks after passing his test. Thankfully he was uninjured.
Odd, ain't it, road and hospital deaths - b308
>>
>>
>> People die in trains and buses but they are not persecuted in the same
way
>> that cars are.
>>
I have to disagree. Public transport is generally many times safer than private car (in
terms of deaths per million passenger km or whatever).

Was watching a programme on surviving a train crash and it quoted European stats which showed that rail travel in Europe (including the UK) was as safe as air travel and 20 times safer than road travel - its quite right that we need to concentrate on making travel safer... so we should be concentrating on the carnage on our roads!

Edited by b308 on 23/05/2008 at 13:27

Odd, ain't it, road and hospital deaths - Roly93
Mind you years back before the cleaning was 'outsourced' they used to be kept spotless.

Ah yes, outsourcing, that when you pay a private company to supposedly do the same job much cheaper than previously, with the private company needing to make a fat profit also. Doesn't take a genious to work out what the outcome of this will be. To simplify, 1)Outsourcing company bosses get Aston Martins, 20 they pay immigrant workers at or below the minimum wage to do the work, and 3) as long as nobody looks at the standard of work, everybody is fat and happy !

Edited by Roly93 on 24/05/2008 at 22:04

Odd, ain't it, road and hospital deaths - Leif
Hospitals in the Deven area are not clean, at least the ones I saw. The most disgustingly dirty public toilet I have ever seen was in Torbay hospital. The wards were not clean either, some of the nurses were plain rude, to me and the patients. And the smell of the 'food' was unpleasant.

I agree that the government focusses unduly on road casualties, and pollution from private vehicles, presumably because cars are an easy target, and it is easy for councils to pretend they are doing something positive.
Odd, ain't it, road and hospital deaths - theterranaut
Hello all, my 0.02p.

MRSA- as has been stated earlier, its more than likely that MRSA (Methicillin Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus) is NOT solely a hospital-acquired infection. MRSA is thought to have its origins in the community, and is largely down to over-subscription of inappropriate antibiotic therapy and patients failing to complete courses of antibiotics.

Conservative estimates are that around 60-70% of us carry it on our skin. Normally, its what's called a commensal organism- it lives quite happily side by side with its human host. However, become frail, have a surgical incision, and its a different story.

IMHO, the current emphasis on health care staff washing hands, etc, is valiant, but nowhere near enough. ANYONE attending a hospital to visit a patient where there's a risk that that patient could succumb as a result of MRSA should be screened prior to being allowed to visit.

This will, of course, never happen. Far too much hassle involved, logistically incredibly complex and open to abuse.

C.Diff- as above, its normally a harmless commensal organism living in the gut. Where things go wrong is: it normally co-exists happily with other gut flora, and as they compete for resources, both hold the other in check. However, if a patient is given a large dose of the right antibiotics, it can wipe out the 'other' flora and allow C.Diff to overwhelm.

.*********

Whats the answer to any and all of the above? All hospitals need excellent hygiene. However, to disagree with what another poster has said, this should not mean nurses 'mucking in' when needed to deep clean an area; in actual fact, nurses should generally be kept as far away from this kind of work as possible to protect them and other patients from the rapid spread of infection. Hospitals need to bring these services back in house, decouple them from any private contractual agreements, train these cleaning staff exceptionally well and pay them a respectable salary. These staff are the vanguard, after all.

In addition to this, the NHS needs to do more to educate the public about these infections, and what they can do individually to prevent their spread.

Gary
Odd, ain't it, road and hospital deaths - Dynamic Dave
And now back to motoring discussion please. DD.
Odd, ain't it, road and hospital deaths - Ed V
Well, one answer is to raise the lower driving age limit to 25.

Current stats suggest that most fatalities would disappear overnight, as would arrests for drink/driving.

More sensibly, perhaps 21 could be reinstated as a significant event by doling out provisional licences together with "the key of the door" at the party.

Raise the drinking age to 21 too, to match the US, and BRoomers could reclaim the pubs and bring back dominoes.
Odd, ain't it, road and hospital deaths - Lud
Even 21 is a bit on the young side. It certainly was in my case.

There are lots of careful and well-behaved under-21s, but as an age group it has far more than its fair share of part-time idiots or total fruit cakes. Human nature. So raising the driving age might well lower the death toll on the roads a bit. But not as much as people may hope. I see a lot of dangerous drivers on the road who are older than that.

No doubt raising the drinking age would do something to combat the kamikaze boozing by the young that is said to be a problem, but it would seem dog-in-the-mangerish to want to ban what wasn't banned when I was young and foolish myself. Repressive anti-drink laws in the US have actually never done anything but serious harm to society and the body politic. They haven't saved the young, or the old come to that, from themselves. That is a job for the individual.

As for lowering the voting age to 18, it was a populist cynical move guaranteed to destabilise the political 'system'. Nothing to be said for it at all.
Odd, ain't it, road and hospital deaths - pendulum
Raise the drinking age to 21 too to match the US and BRoomers could reclaim
the pubs and bring back dominoes.

Raising the drinking age would just about finish off most of the pubs in this country. They have already been hit very hard as people turn to drinking at home due to rising alcohol taxes and anti-smoking laws.

If the driving age went to 25, there would be a massive rise in the number of people driving illegally. There's already a high proportion of drivers driving illegally without tax, test or insurance, it would just make the problem worse.