1999 2.0l Misfire - spider
HELP!!

Does anyone else own a peugeot 406 with a misfire? If so how did you cure it??
I have tried better fuel, replacing the knock sensor, cause that's what the diagnostic machine said to do, replaced fuel filter, plugs, and it still does it.
Any advice?
1999 2.0l Misfire - Screwloose

When does it misfire and what was the exact code number?
1999 2.0l Misfire - Fullchat
I had a very slight misfire when cruising just above 70 MPH. Dealer said it was coil pack and replace along with plug covers. No difference.
I changed the lambda sensor which seemed to cure it.

Screwloose, I don't know what code it said in all fairness, I was just told it said knock sensor, which I replaced. The code is going to be cleared today and I am going to replace the Lambda sensor which fullchat reckons will clear it. I am hoping and praying it does as apart from the misfire it is a beautiful car although not the most economical!!
Will keep you posted and thanks for your help.
Just to mention, screwloose it misfires at low revs. Like it is holding back. You put your foot down and it doesn't respond for a few seconds, the when it is wound up and moving, it just misfires intermittently, not at any particular speed.

Edited by spider on 20/05/2008 at 09:17

1999 2.0l Misfire - Peter D
If you continue to drive with this misfire you will be damaging the Cat. Just had a 206cc with a failed coil pack and drove 10 miles at 50 and the Cat was wrecked. All replaced under warrantee. Regards Peter
Thanks for your reply Peter. Replaced the Lambda sensor £100, thank you very much and it still has the problem. The code did say Knock sensor, it is not one of the cheap machines that give you a code, it actually tells you the problem it thinks it is,(ha ha).
I will look at replacing the coil pack, sounds logical!!
Will let you know. How much is this going to cost now???????????????

The code would not have said; "replace knock sensor" more like the fact that it's signal was out of range in some way. The clue is often in the exact wording of the code.

I'd do a compression test and then maybe change the coilpack - much rarer to see one fail on the bigger Pugs, but it does happen.
Replaced the Lambda Sensor today to no avail, at £100. How much was it to replace coil pack?? Have already replaced plugs. Feel like I am just pouring money down the drain at the moment.

Sorry to say; but it was never going to be the oxygen sensor.

A coilpack is about the same price. Try for a secondhand one; unlike the little Pug engines, it's worth a go.

Why not get the codes read?
1999 2.0l Misfire - Bill Payer
Which engine is in this car?

I've lost track of the dates now, but we had 2 company 406's with 2L HPi petrol engines - I think they had variable valve timing?

Mine was fine for first 18mths then had an incurable misfire for the next 18mths. It spent many weeks in the dealers - a whole month at one point. I was pretty miffed to find Peugeot had paid the lease company to take back the other car early when I'd persisted with mine for the whole time. I feel sorry for anyone who maybe bought those cars at auction not realising the problem.
Hi Bill,

This car has not got variable valve timing, but thanks for your concern.
Wish we could find a cure!!!!!!!
thanks screwloose will give it a go. Have a decent breakeryard round the corner.
1999 2.0l Misfire - Fullchat
Sorry the lambda sensor didn't cure your problem. I think you paid top money for the replacement. My misfire was only very very slight at 70MPH off load.
Was really banking on this working, but not to worry.
Have got a price of £40 for coilpack from our local breaker yard. May wait a week or two then give that a go.
Fingers and everything else crossed.
Was really banking on this working, but not to worry.
Have got a price of £40 for coilpack from our local breaker yard. May wait a week or two then give that a go.
Fingers and everything else crossed.
Hi Screwloose,

replaced the coil pack and that didn't work either. The plot thickens!!
It must be a fuel problem musn't it?????
spider

Not necessarily. What make of plugs are fitted? [Only genuine ones work reliably on French cars.]

Just confirm the exact registration date and engine code; it's in the middle of the VIN, RF - something?

Some of them still had a hose to the MAP sensor on that year - all OK there?