MOT independent? - chrisw2uk
Just got failed for Emissions and Poor rear brakes...
Thing is after failing me he said have I got somewhere to plug it in?
''No'' I answered it's my first MOT (new driver)
I noticed the person before also failed on Emissions and the Clerk/Worker ''i overheard'' advised the customer to come to his house where he could fix/plug it into his computer thingieMeJig....then after failing me he asked if i'd know where i'm going to get it fixed up...after giving me 3 cards i left not liking the place regreting choosing it...I will fit another catalytic converter and attempt to tighten the adjusters in the drums, or maybe its the brake assist not working...
oh yes i heard that over or just really heating the engine will produce less emissions
ANYWAY WHAT THE HELL IS MEANT BY ''INDEPENDENT?''
ALL I SAW WAS JOKERS AFTER LINING THEIR POCKETS

Edited by Pugugly on 18/05/2008 at 15:31

MOT INDEPENDENT? - pendulum
I don't get what your problem is. It failed the MoT on brakes and emissions, and you say you are going to fix it. That's fine. The garage offered to fix it for you. That's fine too, as that is what garages do.

You said you were going to fix the car so you can't be saying they did a dodgy MoT, because if you were suggesting that, you would take the car to another garage for a second opinion or appeal the decision.
MOT INDEPENDENT? - chrisw2uk
yes well said, but what does an Independant ''MOT only'' Station mean in definition?
Just seems he's offering something not needed ''plug it into computer?'' the cat is old and there is obviously a fault or adjustment to make on brakes, the thing is i recently ''3 months ago'' fitted new cylinders and shoes and the car stops fine you just need alittle more push on pedal that these newer uprated cars out...
I just wasn't expecting him to straight away to offer the expensive solution ''getting computers out'' i mean lets face it its a 98 car ''plug it in?''
Yes your probably right i'm just annoyed as probably are many more people having oldish cars trying to meet these standards that can't be met, so therefore we'll see lots more cars popping up in the dealers for this reason amounst the nutorious petrol hike...
MOT INDEPENDENT? - bathtub tom
If you give full details here of what your fail ticket says, then I'm sure many contributors will be willing to help.
In my experience, the MOT brake test doesn't exactly stretch the capabilities of even an old car.
MOT INDEPENDENT? - henry k
>>but what does an Independant ''MOT only'' Station mean in definition?
>>
I know what I understand as an independant MoT station.
The place I have used for decades has existed for over 30 years on the same site and is not connected with any other organisation.
I am not aware of any motor related business within about a mile of them.
A really helpful group of testers who have always tweeked the odd adjuster to get things to standard. Very willing to point out any potential problems and always fully explain any failures.
I consider it well worth passing several MoT stations as I trek to their site.
I think others have posted that certain councils also do MoTs for the public.

Only in the last couple of years have they stocked a few common sized tyres else they just had bulbs and wiper blades.

MOT independant? - L'escargot
ANYWAY WHAT THE HELL IS MEANT BY ''INDENDENDANT?''

I googled for "indendendant", but the best best Google could do was refer me to your post.
MOT independant? - zookeeper
my indendendant MOT garage only does MOT's, he doesnt do any repair work as he makes a decent crust just doing testing, he is a fair chap takes you round and under the car as he does the test explaining what he's looking for , he failed my handbrake but all he did was show me where the adjuster was and told me to sort it when i got home which i did
MOT independant? - helmet
I use a similar place to Zookeeper in Leeds,which is a 10 mile drive from my house,as I know he has no reason to fail you,so he can get the work,as he doesn't do any.

My thinking of an independent test station is one that hasn't a major chain behind it,like Halfords,Kwik Fit etc,which would therefore probably account for 90% of garages.
MOT independant? - doctorchris
If any Googling is to be done, the word is spelt INDEPENDENT so that may help.
I really believe that it is difficult for an MOT station these days to fiddle emissions and generate a fail.
So an emissions fail needs a diagnosis and this MOT station may not have the plug-in diagnostics to come up with the answer.
Brakes are more important. If your brakes are not working properly it could cause an accident, injury or death.
You have every right to visit another garage but it sounds as if some work must be done wherever you go.
Don't get angry with garage folk, they are only human and respond much better to kindness and an understanding that they are trying to deal with high-tech machines that can be a nightmare to fix.
MOT independant? - Pugugly
Thanks DrChris - its been annoying me for days.
MOT independant? - ifithelps
I would definately say definitely and independent are two of the most commonly mis-spelled words on this forum.

It's been annoying me for weeks.