Autotrader - traders - ivrytwr3
Hey all,

I hope someone can help me with this. I am looking to buy a car from a garage, so please no advice on getting a better deal by going private!!! (hee hee!!)

I have been searching for a few weeks on autotrader online and after viewing a few lemons i think i have found the car i am looking for. However, on autotrader website, you can normally click a link that takes you to the dealers website, and others all you see is just a mobile number. The car i have seen is listed as been sold by Priory Direct in Doncaster, but i cannot find a website, nor does a goole search show their garage. A search for their postcode brings up a residential estate, yet they are listed as traders on autotrader.

They have offered me 3 month warranty as oppose to their standard 1 month and when you call you are greeted by "Priory Direct".

Can someone eplain this, as i was hoping to turn up to a garage with a forecourt.

Thanks!!
Autotrader - traders - Whisky
Just because they are a trader doesn't force them to have a traditional garage, he probably has a friend/contact who owns a garage and carries out any warrenty work.

might be worth having a read of this
www.honestjohn.co.uk/buy_sell/buying_used/buying-u...m

especially under the "home" traders subtitle.
i am a bit worried, but thanks for the link.
OK, i contacted the trader and he readily gave reg and VIN. I have done a check with "vehicle check" (through auto trader website and everyone checks out except:

It is listed as one owner from new, this is confirmed.

It is listed as 19000 miles, but the report says there is no mileage history for the vehicle, but it is sold with a Full Peugeot service history.

Any alarm bells ringing? Or is it ok to proceed?
Autotrader - traders - DP
The mileage record comes from the DVLA database, and this information is provided when the vehicle changes owners. As this car is one owner, it's not surprising they don't have the mileage information. To be honest, even if it had changed hands, provision of this information is optional anyway so it's likely to be missing.

If you're still unsure, you can always confirm the service history. Find out which dealer has done the servicing from the service book / invoices, and call them to check. This is another good indicator that the mileage is genuine. I did this when we bought our Scenic privately last year and the dealer was more than happy to help.

Cheers
DP
Autotrader - traders - boxsterboy
I did this when we
bought our Scenic privately last year and the dealer was more than happy to help.
Cheers
DP

Well you were lucky! When I tried this with a Merc dealer they confirmed the validity of the service book record (i.e. they had seen the car on the date in question) but couldn't tell me what work had been done due to 'Data Protection Act'.
Autotrader - traders - adverse camber
Well you were lucky! When I tried this with a Merc dealer they confirmed the
validity of the service book record (i.e. they had seen the car on the date
in question) but couldn't tell me what work had been done due to them being
obstructive and unhelpful and not deserving of any of my custom as well as
having no understanding of the dpa.

corrected ;-)
Autotrader - traders - DP
heh heh. :-)

No, I can't work out why you'd protect the personal information of a car either. If you were asking for the name and address of the person they invoiced, then perhaps.

Cheers
DP