Fuel costs & surrounding debates Vol 1 [Read only] - sony
Even though I have a diesel I am really having to be very careful with my driving style these days.
When on motorways I even am starting to stick to 60/65 mph.. Has it affected you?

Re-titled as Volume 1 of a continuing debate, carry on the debate in Volume 2. Which is Here

Edited by Webmaster on 25/05/2008 at 20:06

Are the petrol prices starting to affect you? - movilogo
Currently not really as I have a car with 1.3 L engine and I don't do high mileage.

However, when I upgrade in future, I won't go over 1.6 L engine because of fuel price.

Are the petrol prices starting to affect you? - djt100
Yep!
I've got a volvo C70 T5 so 2.4 turbo does about 19mpg. Only had it a year, Paid £5k for it , now it's worth about £3k all because of the fuel prices, Selling it to cut my losses and going to buy a small diesel. and hopefully get something that falls into the £35 a year tax braket, Car is a nessesity for me and i've no choice in changing just to be able to afford to run it.
Are the petrol prices starting to affect you? - gordonbennet
Yes, we don't gadd about half as much as we used to, and i too have cut my speed to help conserve fuel.

We don't financially need to do this, but the sheer amount of tax involved is verging on the criminal.

It does have other benefits as well, we spend a lot of time at home (so do many of our friends) and don't eat out or go shopping anywhere near so often, so thats helping with the economy too (ours anyway).

I've read and said on other threads i believe lots of others are driving slower, and the traffic volume is certainly reduced.

I've got a feeling that when we've ditched our uneconomical motors, and the tax collectors coffers are suffering that the goal posts will have to move a bit (that'll be a shock) and the tax on fuel and eco cars will be increased. Cake and eat it?
''that last sentence summarises swmbo's thoughts on the subject, she's usually quite perceptive''
Are the petrol prices starting to affect you? - tazmania
dont blame you for thinking for doing that i think that will be the right step definitly because the fuel price is herendous and add all the living costs how can we relax it is terrible sometimes i think of start riding a bike
Are the petrol prices starting to affect you? - doctorchris
Oh yes. Cancelled the order for the Porsche Cayenne only today.
Seriously, no, cos my 1.2 petrol motor is economcal enough for it not to matter just yet.
Are the petrol prices starting to affect you? - bbroomlea{P}
We are about £60 a month worse off - not life changing but if things keep going as they are then something will have to give.

We are also starting to think twice about doing unnecessary trips - which is a good excuse not to go to the monster in laws!

Are the petrol prices starting to affect you? - jbif
if things keep going as they are

I don't think anyone has commented on the next new tax, Nottingham is to be the first to charge £185 annual levy for parking places at work, and no doubt others will follow soon:
news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/nottinghamshire/739647...m
"Nottingham city council said around 500 employers with 10 or more workplace parking spaces would be liable for the levy. Companies will have to decide whether to foot the bill themselves or pass charges on to their employees."

Are the petrol prices starting to affect you? - Robin Reliant
I need to use my car to work, I don't earn a fortune and the price of diesel is beginning to seriously hurt. I have had to think carefully about my working pattern to avoid unnescessary mileage and now only fill the tank to half to save about 30 litres of weight.

The dearest garage round here is charging 129.9 for diesel, this time last year it was around 97p.
Companies will have to decide whether to foot the bill
themselves or pass charges on to their employees."

And Nottingham and other short sighted boroughs can wonder why their quality companies have pulled out and moved to somewhere less blinkered.

£185 may not be a huge amount, but its another nail in the coffin.

Have these jobsworths at county halls no common at all?
You only have to think of the reasons that the newer major retail parks are doing so well, and the town centres dying...the people with money to spend want to be able to drive to their destination, park easily for free (generally) and be safe (both their vehicle whilst unattended, and themselves trying to avoid the flotsam and jetsam so prevalent in many town centres now, and the perils of evening public transport in city areas).

Apply that similar reasoning to people going to work, and the companies needing good reliable staff to come to work, with somewhere to park for pete's sake. Not to be penalised because they can attract and keep good staff.

Is it me, am i barking or have i got the wrong end again?
Are the petrol prices starting to affect you? - Lud
Petrol prices have always affected me, and they always will. Nothing else to be said in answer to that.
Are the petrol prices starting to affect you? - PhilW
"Is it me, am i barking or have i got the wrong end again?"

Nope, you are spot on - unless I am barking also!!

Daft thing is, I would be affected living in E Midlands. I live in a rural village and work in a rural village. My route to work takes 7 mins to do 5 miles along roads here I might see 10 other cars. So what congestion will this prevent? - especially since there is NO public transport that goes anywhere near my place of work. In Nottingham, companies like Boots and Players(?) employ thousands so £185 per parking space is not a small sum. And the factories are on the outskirts - so no impact on congestion in city centre.
Just another way of grabbing money from the motorist.
Read an article recently (in Private Eye) where a hospital introduced parking charges for employees - laid on buses for them to encourage them to use buses instead of private cars. Shift started at 7am, first bus arrived 7.30. Shift finished at 5pm, bus left at 4.30pm. No buses laid on for those working the night shifts.
It's all a con. Fed up with paying extortionate parking charges in Nottingham and Leicester (seems to be a minimum of £4) I have stopped using either city centre for shopping/lunch etc. - and they wonder why centres are dying and out of town places thriving? Thickoes.

Are the petrol prices starting to affect you? - Ravenger
It's all a con. Fed up with paying extortionate parking charges in Nottingham and Leicester
(seems to be a minimum of £4) I have stopped using either city centre for
shopping/lunch etc. - and they wonder why centres are dying and out of town places
thriving? Thickoes.

The local council has sold off the two car-parks I used to use to park in to go shopping in town. At the same time bus fares have been rising so much that it now costs about £10 to take my family into town.

So I've now stopped going into town and the out-of-town shopping centre gets most of my business instead.
Are the petrol prices starting to affect you? - Marc4Six
Just changed to a car 25% more efficent, so haven't been adversely effected. However petrol costs haven't changed much due to increased prices:-(

Should save £100 a year on insurance and lose another £120 in road tax from next year:-(

Servicing should be £200 a year less, I've not missed a new servicing tax have I?
>>Servicing should be £200 a year less, I've not missed a new servicing tax have I?

Maybe we should delete this before we give them new ideas...
Are the petrol prices starting to affect you? - Xileno {P}
No. Renault Megane dCi - 55MPG without trying.

I'm not particularly sympathetic - the writing's been on the wall for quite a few years now. China, India and others all guzzling oil like there's no tomorrow. It's not as if the signals haven't been there.

Diesel would need to be £10 a gallon before I would alter my lifestyle.
Are the petrol prices starting to affect you? - madf
Of course price rises affect my pocket.

But other than that .. no.

Traffic is definitely down locally tho...

Agree comments on Nottingham. Short sighted idiots...

Are the petrol prices starting to affect you? - ukbeefy
I think charging for workplace parking will come in everywhere. It is effectively an untaxed perk. Likewise I think parking in retail developments will become both tighter and maybe charged for.

The biggest difference will come when out of town places are required to charge for their parking. That may then make visiting B&Q for a bag of nails or a wander about a bit more expensive.
Are the petrol prices starting to affect you? - Martin Devon
I think charging for workplace parking will come in everywhere. It is effectively an untaxed
perk. Likewise I think parking in retail developments will become both tighter and maybe charged
for.
The biggest difference will come when out of town places are required to charge for
their parking. That may then make visiting B&Q for a bag of nails or a
wander about a bit more expensive.

Shop on the web and horlicks to the lot of them. This country has gone mad. I hate it and the petty carp.

MD
Are the petrol prices starting to affect you? - PhilW
"It is effectively an untaxed perk"

Please explain to me why it is an "untaxed perk".
If it is, why not tax pedestrians for walking in cities? Why, if I sit outside at a cafe table having a coffee, is that not "an untaxed perk"? Why is it just car drivers that it is assumed can be taxed for everything they do - buying a car, putting it on the road, buying fuel for it, parking it, driving it etc.
If you want to reduce congestion in cities why not tax pedestrians?, pushchairs? wheelchairs/mobility scooters? Desks in offics? cashpoints? Does no-one want people to shop/work/spend money in city centres? Why not slap a tax on all public transport into city centres also? In about the same proportion as on petrol and cars - that would reduce congestion.
The whole reason for B&Q etc being in "out of town places" is so that they can provide large areas of single storey shopping and provide their customers with large areas of parking to make their carriage of goods bought easier in their own cars. Where is the logic of discouraging this? We all need these goods so why, apart from raising extra revenue, is the logic of taxing this? You'll be taxing shopping trolleys next. But only after slapping a tax on everyone when they step out of their front door.
Get off the back of motorists - the car is the greatest liberator of people of the last couple of hundred years - but an easy target. Have Nottingham Council thought of themselves and their own employees? Town hall is in the city centre isn't it? Council offices also nearby, as are Rushcliffe council offices
Are the petrol prices starting to affect you? - graham sherlock
Have Nottingham Council thought of themselves and their own employees?

Quite probably yes. You will probably find a nice cosy little setup whereby council employees get free parking.

Nottingham Council please feel free to deny this...

The hospital where I work upped to a flat rate of 80p a day (That's £180 a year-ish) for on-site parking. OK for a consultant or Chief Exec, not very PC for a cleaner/care assitant. But that's another tale. Off-site parking anyone. The roads are now chocker. We expect the yellow lines to appear shortly.
Are the petrol prices starting to affect you? - Bromptonaut
Please explain to me why it is an "untaxed perk".

Because the employer is providing foc something which would (or might) otherwise have to be paid for. The value of the perk will vary from almost nil in rural locations to several thousand a year in central London.

Edited by Bromptonaut on 14/05/2008 at 22:32

Are the petrol prices starting to affect you? - FotheringtonThomas
Has it affected you?

Yes, and I'm quite enjoying it. At the weekend I went out for a drive. Wow! Tomorrow, I shall drive to work, because I have to pick up a thing I've purchased from a colleague. Cor! Last weekend, I also went for a drive. Fantastic! At other times, I've used a bicycle, to go the whole 3.5-4 miles to work (and back), and drop the boy off at school. My "underneath" is getting used to a Brookes leather saddle. I'm getting fitter. My occasional drives in the car now give me much increased enjoyment per trip. I'm thinking of getting one of the old motorbikes going. Come foul weather, of course, some of this will change - but it's great at the moment!
Are the petrol prices starting to affect you? - Pendlebury
They are really starting to affect me and my driving style and also how many journies I do. Maybe not a bad thing initself but this will start to damage the local economies. I tend to buy allot more stuff on the internet for home delivery so I do not have to drive - especially into Derby City centre which is anti-car IMO. The fact that they are losing revenue from people doing similar won't dawn on them though.
I started a thread a couple a days ago on petrol hitting £8 a gallon. I was told it was all scare mongering. I see oil is up again over fears in Iran. It's only going one way IMO and that is not down in price. We must all remember though how much is tax and how much is the cost of the commodity and districution, refining etc.
Darling is borrowing more money to get out of his embarrassing 10p tax situation that GB passed on to him. Now let me think how he will repay that £2.7Bn - fuel duty maybe ?
Are the petrol prices starting to affect you? - MichaelR
Not at all - hasn't really affected me at all despite driving a 3 litre car which does 22mpg around town. I simply dont do the mileage to be bothered by the price of fuel. I fill up once a month.
Are the petrol prices starting to affect you? - zookeeper
i drive a small petrol engine car so im getting about 45-50 mpg , i recently stopped smoking so i suppose it's not really bothered my wallet YET, with such high demand for oil in india and china makes you wonder how much they pay for a gallon of the stuff?
Are the petrol prices starting to affect you? - astrabob
From 1987 until 1992, my round trip to work each day was 52 miles. Since 1992, my round trip has been 75 miles. I currently use an economical diesel for the journey. For some of that time, I car shared.

I am currently applying for jobs with other companies. The one I am close to accepting, provided that the pay is at least equal to the old job, will be home based. There will be travel involved, but I will get a car, and be able to claim for fuel.

So yes - I'm changing jobs to reduce the amount I pay for fuel. (The only other reason is that I am concerned about the long term prospects for my present company).

Are the petrol prices starting to affect you? - ukbeefy
I wonder if firms in their urge to be green will ever look closely at how far their employees live from work and how many drive? I wonder if any would be keen to set a limit say on the distance that they have someone commuting?
Are the petrol prices starting to affect you? - Number_Cruncher
>>especially into Derby City centre which is anti-car IMO

Yes, that puts it rather mildly IMO!

I hope that the larger tenants of the new shopping centre, and the city's larger employers have told the council what they think of the proposed [now scrapped?] conjestion charge.

For a city with so many talented technicians and engineers, why has our local road system, and some of the newer junction layouts been designed by such incompetents?
Are the petrol prices starting to affect you? - mrnikko
Oil prices at a new record high tonight 127 dollars a barrell.
The company I work for are forecasting £1-50 litre diesel by end of June Petrol £1-35 as well will this stop us all driving ?
Time to bring tax down on fuels me thinks
Are the petrol prices starting to affect you? - nick
I fill up once a week. It was costing about £35-40 about a year ago, now about £50-ish. Not life-changing but I'd obviously like to pay less. It'll have to go up dramatically to change my behaviour. As a previous post noted, in real terms it's still not a huge amount dearer than most years in the past. I suppose it hurts more now because everything else has gone up so much, so quickly.
Are the petrol prices starting to affect you? - james86
I have a Focus 2.0tdci which I have always driven "enthusiastically" and only got around 40mpg from.

I've now learnt not to use the full travel of the accelerator and on a 200 mile run yesterday sitting at 85+ I got 50mpg just by accelerating more gently and consciously trying to avoid unnecessary acceleration. Won't be doing anything more than that though for the time being as more than happy with 50.
Are the petrol prices starting to affect you? - L'escargot
According to my car's fuel computer acceleration has more effect on consumption than speed, so I might keep my top speed the same but try accelerating more gently. On the other hand, pigs might fly!
Are the petrol prices starting to affect you? - steveo3002
its hitting us..we're both looking for new jobs but most stuff coming up is a good 30-45 mins drive and thats a fair chunk out of lowish wage each week. we live where theres very little bus service or trains etc

whats gona happen when the knock effect of people not driving puts alot the shop workers out of work , and then the selivery drivers etc etc
Are the petrol prices starting to affect you? - DP
I'm spending about £50 a month more on fuel than I was this time last year. That's a combination of higher prices, and about 12 miles less to the gallon albeit on fuel that hasn't gone up quite as steeply as the diesel I used to use.

I have no choice - it's a commute and it's compulsory. Any extra cost here comes out of my disposable income, and therefore the wider economy. Public transport is inconvenient and unaffordable (3x the cost of the car). If the car cost this much, I'd quit the job, take a lower paid local one, and start claiming all the tax credits and other paraphernalia which I am currently not entitled to.

I would like to see government legislation taxing companies for making people commute unnecessarily. If they're prepared to tax the little people for having the temerity to park at work, why not hit the pockets of the big cheeses who are making them do it?

Oh I forgot - where do party donations come from? Grrr...

Cheers
DP

Edited by DP on 14/05/2008 at 10:41

Are the petrol prices starting to affect you? - Pica
Quote from Winston Churchill (posted by someone in another forum on a similar issue)

"We contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle"
Are the petrol prices starting to affect you? - mike hannon
Has anyone else noticed that the prices of 'classic' bubblecars - your BMW Isetta, Heinkel/Trojan and, particularly, Messerschmitt - have gone through the roof?
Presumably they are now as interesting as they were 40 or 50 years ago to people who have a morbid interest in 100mpg with an almost total lack of protection and - in the case of the Messer - a desire to go as fast backwards as they do forwards.
Me, I'm still looking for a nice 1990s Bentley Continental R at a 'distress sale' price...
I would like to see government legislation taxing companies for making people commute unnecessarily.

Wonderful idea! Now they can offshore the few remaining jobs with glee (and the CEO can claim how much carbon footprint he has reduced in next board meeting)

Are the petrol prices starting to affect you? - Mapmaker
When - as it does, as I keep going on - a 9 year old Audi A6 2.8 V6 quattro with leather 12 months' MOT costs no more than a decent off-the-peg suit, then the cost of petrol is affecting somebody.

Personally I still haven't filled up since Boxing Day, but I don't know how I'd get plasterboard home from B&Q without a car. Too useful to have a motor.

Edited by Mapmaker on 14/05/2008 at 11:49

Wonderful idea! Now they can offshore the few remaining jobs with glee (and the CEO
can claim how much carbon footprint he has reduced in next board meeting)

So what do you suggest?
Are the petrol prices starting to affect you? - Dipstick
I've just had a trawl though the "Pre-budget summary" leaflets from 2002 to 2007, on the Treasury website. I've put the figures from the pie charts into a spreadsheet. (I don't know of a sensible way of sharing a spreadsheet with the world, sorry).

Anyway, the comparisons between VED income, VAT income, expenditure on transport, income tax levels etc over the last few years make interesting reading when it's all together in one place.

Stick "Pre-Budget Report 200x summary leaflet" into Google to see the pie charts if you're interested (and/or tell me how to sensibly share a simple Excel spreadsheet).

Without wishing to be overtly political, taxing people to make them stop doing a perfectly legal activity is 1. stoopid and 2. it does not really work.

Far better to turn it on its head and give rewards for good behaviour... eg companies whose employees have a post code within 20 miles of work can claim a small tax reduction...

ooops I forgot .. our government 1. does not believe in that and 2. they've spent all our money and a lot more.

Incentives work better.
Workers slapped with £185 a year tax... just for driving to work

tinyurl.com/6zhmer

Are the petrol prices starting to affect you? - dxp55
I bought my Mazda Xedos 9 miller 18 months ago on likely event petrol would rise to 0.90p ltr Huh!! - at 22mpg it was getting used once a week but now for some reason without me doing anything to it or changing my light footed driving style it did 29 mpg last week and yesterday when I filled up it worked out to 27 mpg but was a shorter mileage week. So it's getting better for me.
Filled SWMBO Yaris up today and that worked out to 47mpg - 1.3 petrol SR
Are the petrol prices starting to affect you? - Westpig
It is affecting us more and more. I used to do 12,000 - 14,000 miles a year in my car, a 3 litre V6 auto... now it's relegated to the 2nd car status doing 4,000 - 4,500 a year, whilst we use my wife's car a 2 litre diesel for the main mileage.

I filled up my car yesterday for the sum of £75, which with a current average to/from work of 19.5 mpg is painful.

Trouble is i much prefer driving mine than hers (even though hers is 3 yrs old and mine 9), but hey ho why should I be allowed motoring pleasure.

As a compromise we'll eventually swap my wife's car and buy a 2.2 diesel auto, so i can have a bit of grunt and auto, but not be seen to be sucking the planet dry or emptying my wallet quite as fast as i could be... and my car will be kept for all time, as it is currently entering the 'worth not much' zone... and will eventually no doubt become a 'classic'.
Are the petrol prices starting to affect you? - barney100
I find myself too trundling along at 60 on the motorway too. I have a 2.2 diesel which gives me about 42 mpg if i take it easy.
People in my line of work need a car to get from school to school and some of them have a Little at many places which requires a lot of travelling. What with fuel and food and the rest going up we'll all be sewing on buttons and making stews out of leftovers soon.
I find myself too trundling along at 60 on the motorway too. I have a
2.2 diesel which gives me about 42 mpg if i take it easy.

Crikey. My old 2.0 petrol does that!

What with fuel and food and the rest going up we'll all be sewing
on buttons and making stews out of leftovers soon.

Some of us do that anyway.
Are the petrol prices starting to affect you? - helicopter
The 2.4 Accord does around 24 mpg on the commute but then I don't do much more than 5/6000 a year so the petrol is not so much a problem. Usually between £50 and £ 60 a fill.

BUT - I have had the Accord taxed this month @£210 for the year , serviced ( oil and filter ) and MOT another £178. I have advisories on front discs and pads ( advised as £282 by main dealer ) and all four tyres are going to need replacement at say £ 400 within the next couple of months.

So the thick end of a grand spread over the 5/6000 miles a year puts the petrol price in the shade ... and next year the road fund tax almost doubles .

Local authority is also charging a fortune to park anywhere near the shops whilst increasing the council tax to pay for their protected final salary pensions.

I earn good money by most peoples standards so I am less affected than many but all I am seeing is more and more tax demands and the prospect of a comfortable retirement disappearing into the far distance..

Politicians -- Bah Humbug - Get rid of the lot of them I say , thieving pink fluffy dice ......

>>serviced ( oil and filter ) and MOT another £178

If the oil and filter change cost £120 then you were done...

>>. I have advisories on front discs and pads ( advised as £282 by main dealer )

Or £100 from kwikfit?

and all four tyres are going to need replacement at say £ 400 within the next couple of months.

Say £20-30 a corner, second hand.

You are joking Mapmaker.

The oil (fully synthetic|) and filter change was done by a mobile independent well known to the forum at my workplace using Honda approved parts. He also took the car for its MOT - (£44 on its own) to save me the aggravation so you have to put in his time for that ,very fair for what he did but 17.5 % of that is VAT.

If I do not have the work done on the brakes either by Main Dealer or my independent using the approved Honda parts I am invalidating the extended Main Dealer warranty that I have. I may be able to save some labour cost by using the independent but I haave yet to get a price from him. I might save myself £100 there.

I would not use Kwikfit.

As a matter of interest I saw the local KF manager was in a local independent garage to get some work done his BMW last time I was in there.....

Oh - and the tyres are Michelin Pilot Primacy 205 /55/R/16 's - You might use second hand on your motor but I won't risk my family safety on the basis of saving a bit of money. I may be able to save myself £ 20 a corner fully fitted if I call one or two of my friends in the trade but I am told the prices of tyres have gone up a lot over the last couple of months.

£20 -30 a corner -Yer aving a larf mate......
Are the petrol prices starting to affect you? - Westpig
i'm with you on that one helicopter....i wouldn't be compromising my or my family's safety by cheapo tyres and/or brake parts...in fact if anything needs doing, it's done properly.
Stews from leftovers are tasty. And cheap.
Anyone who throws food away is wastefull...
No food gets binned in our house thanks to the four legged dustbin we call a dog :-)

Cheers
DP
Quite madf. And what do you do if you don't sew buttons back on anyway? You either walk about with your attributes hanging out or throw the garment away. Of the two, the first is preferable unless the garment itself is made of man-made fibre in some distasteful colour and pattern. But I imagine anyone wasting such clothes before they are worn out will simply buy new ones of the same sort. The very thought of barney100 in a new turquoise shell suit is making me feel sick.

:o{

Edited by Lud on 14/05/2008 at 17:48

Are the petrol prices starting to affect you? - Optimist
madf said >> Without wishing to be overtly political, taxing people to make them stop doing a perfectly legal activity is 1. stoopid and 2. it does not really work.

Far better to turn it on its head and give rewards for good behaviour... eg companies whose employees have a post code within 20 miles of work can claim a small tax reduction...>>

I had a look at what the French have been doing this year on an emissions related tax. They don't have an annual charge like we do, so on the purchase of a new car which is high emissions you give the dealer money to hand over to the government.

But if you buy a low emissions car, the dealer gives you money and re-claims it from the government.

Tres bien, as I believe they tend to say over there.
Are the petrol prices starting to affect you? - mike hannon
Just out of interest, I nerved myself up to do a quick calculation and confirmed that Brits living in France with finance from UK have suffered a double whammy on the price of fuel.
I have just filled the tank with 98 unleaded (only about 1 cent per litre more than 95) at 1.46 euros per litre. Last year at the best exchange rate I could muster that would have equalled 1.02 pounds, a useful reduction on the UK price. In fact, the price then was the equivalent of about 80p a litre.
Now prices have risen and because of the recent drop in the value of Sterling a litre now equals at least 1.17 pounds, which must be about nip and tuck with the UK price (?).
Supermarket diesel here is about 1.35 euros a litre - around 1.12 Sterling at the present exchange rate.
Inflation is rising fast here, too, so it's just as well drink is still cheap and France is the beautiful place it is or I would predict a collapse in UK visitor numbers this summer.
Please note: I am not Number Cruncher - these calculations are approximate indications!

Edited by mike hannon on 14/05/2008 at 19:29

Are the petrol prices starting to affect you? - David Horn
Filled up with normal petrol in Oxford at 114.9p/litre at a BP station today. Every so often a small squeak of shock still escapes my lips.
Are the petrol prices starting to affect you? - mss1tw
No sign of any one slowing on the M3 today...
...or on the M4 last Sunday...
Are the petrol prices starting to affect you? - barney100
No sign of any one slowing on the M3 today...You didn't see me then!
Are the petrol prices starting to affect you? - davros
Mike is spot on. Cost me 76 Euros to fill up the Legacy in Burgundy today. Which must be on a par with the UK. And probably explains why Subarus are as rare as hen's teeth here (although there's a dealer in Dijon). With the pound as it is, even a decent bottle of Nuits St Gworges is beginning to look a bit pricey.

OTOH, counter that against the insane price of used cars in France (how about 17,500 Euros for a 40K km 2006 Citroen C4 coupe in the local rag today....)

Davros
Are the petrol prices starting to affect you? - perleman
I've had to slow down from 80-85 to 70 on the motorway and it's strangely relaxing in a frustraiting kind of way
Are the petrol prices starting to affect you? - mattbod
Yes. I drive a Diesel (Fabia VRS)as well and although my car will do well over 50 mpg on a run I find on regular trips from Kent to Devon that where I used to put £20 I now have to put £30. As I have said on other threads I bought a Diesel for its efficiency and am alarmed at the rate in which it is going up. The papers are saying that people are "rushing to go green": BS they are rushing to go efficient. You just can't win. No wonder Brown chickned out of the election.

The whole criminal tax liability is typical socialist control and bullying. I don't do many miles apart from these trips and there seems little point in running a Diesel any more. Plus the VRS is a threat to my licence! I have two choices. Do I go out and buy the Mercedes 560 SEC that I have always fancied or do I go and buy a little Citroen C1. Drove one of those and loved it. What do you guys think?
I go out and buy the Mercedes 560 SEC that I have always fancied or
do I go and buy a little Citroen C1. Drove one of those and loved
it. What do you guys think?

I find myself in almost the same dilemma, i keep wondering whether to sell the 124 320 coupe, as its a 96 its presently unaffected by the tax changes, but we all know there's the grave possibility of the furtive sound of moving goal posts; what to do?

My chum is looking to by a diesel C1, or kia rio diesel, and i do like them too, but the next day (and encouraged against by swmbo, who is more anti politicians than all of us put together) i think no way. Then i start looking at CL500's, which is the natural progression from the 124 coupe.

Why do we go from one extreme to the other.

My current cunning plan, till i come up with another is to get a very underpriced legacy 3 litre and get it lpg'd.
I agree a nice 560 can be gt for 10-12k and that was a 70K car when new.Driving one of those is a big V sign to the green swindle merchants and is probably cheaper to run than a family hatch using a good specialist as simple but tough technology. Plus tell your friend to avoid the Diesel Citroen C1. I drove both and the little 1.0 Toyota 3 pot petrol is nearly as economical and much livlier. It was the best engine in the 1.0 litre class in this years Engine of the Year award. Slightly off topic I know!

Edited by Mattbod on 15/05/2008 at 00:13

Are the petrol prices starting to affect you? - Baskerville
Mike is spot on. Cost me 76 Euros to fill up the Legacy in Burgundy
today. Which must be on a par with the UK.

You're not saying people pay just as much even when the tax element is less are you? It's heresy, sir, and no mistaking!
Are the petrol prices starting to affect you? - gmac
Filled up the bike this evening. For the first time broke through the 25? barrier.
Not a big deal in itself but the jump in price was an eye opener. I usually fill up every 10 to 14 days. Last time it was 1.539? per litre for 100 octane, today it was 1.659? a 12 cents rise in 10 days...
Are the petrol prices starting to affect you? - davecooper
Why isn't there any organised public action against petrol prices? You could count me in for anything.
Why isn't there any organised public action against petrol prices? You could count me in
for anything.

Because fuel is still cheap. Yes, it really is.
Are the petrol prices starting to affect you? - Robin Reliant
Because fuel is still cheap. Yes it really is.

No it is not.

The cost of fuel at the pump is out of all proportion to cost of producing and retailing it because it is so heavily taxed. We would not stand for any of the other essential goods we buy having their prices inflated like this.

The "Fuel is cheap in reality" nonsense is a load of cack that is continually spouted by the greens to the extent that many have begun to believe it.
The "Fuel is cheap in reality" nonsense is a load of cack that is continually
spouted by the greens to the extent that many have begun to believe it.

It's nothing to do with the Greens, nothing to do with tax, and nothing to do with the cost of production. It's to do with the retail market.

The measure of a good's cheapness is whether people are prepared to pay a given price for it. Since people are still buying fuel for their cars in significant quantities I conclude that fuel is still cheap. It's the price rises that are making people complain, not the absolute cost--so far.
Are the petrol prices starting to affect you? - Waino
Because fuel is still cheap. Yes it really is.>>

True. I won't believe it's too expensive until I see more folks slowing down. With some long cross-country runs held at no more than 60 mph and a bit of town stuff, the old Mondeo 2L petrol estate has just returned 42.2mpg (brim to brim). My tax per mile is about the same as it was 3 years ago - I object to paying this totally incompetent government any more than I really have to! For quick trips for the 1.5 miles into town, I now use the pushbike.
fuel is still cheap. Yes it really is.

There doesn't seem to have been a noticeable decline in fuel sales in the last 10 years, approximately (source: UK Trade Info.).
I have just been offered a MG ZS 1.8 with LPG. Its the same year as my Audi diesel and I will probably pocket a couple of K at least after buying the MG and selling my Audi. Headgasket done so thats a bonus. At £1.29 a litre of diesel at local Tesco, LPG has to be the way to go!
Are the petrol prices starting to affect you? - gmac
At £1.29 a litre of diesel at local Tesco LPG has to be the way to
go!

Until Mr Darlings next mini budget (probably sometime next week)...Got to get that 2bn back from somewhere.

Edited by gmac on 14/05/2008 at 23:12

>>Until Mr Darlings next mini budget (probably sometime next week)...Got to get that 2bn back from somewhere.

Its a gamble I know but I recon the savings are worth it. Unfortunatley I cover a reasonably high mileage and therefore any savings are good for me....and the local garage does LPG!

I am going to test it for a week and maybe 600 miles or so first before I make a definate decision.

Are the petrol prices starting to affect you? - Badwolf
I have a 2.0 Vectra which is not an excessively large car. However, I am seriously thinking of changing it for a diesel. This really hacks me off as, effectively, the government is telling me what I can (or can't) drive. If that lovely Mr Darling were to cut fuel duty by 9p per litre then he would still be getting the same in fuel duty that he was getting six months ago and Labour would get a boost in the polls. However, that's too much like a good idea...

I cannot do without a car as I work odd hours and there is no way I can get to our yard at stupid o'clock on public transport. Also, I don't want to drive a tiny, fuel efficient car as I have children and I don't feel that a tiny car offers the same protection to the them in the event of a collision as a larger car. I know that current small cars are a lot safer but I'm on a very limited budget and can only afford a older car which, historically, will be weaker in a crash.

Cheers.
Badwolf I am biased but if you are on a budget have a look at a first generation Skoda Octavia 1.9 TDI preferably in 110bhp spec. This is a solid and reliable car that can be bought cheaply and will return 55 mpg on a run. Will feel as quick as your Vectra as well becasue of the torque.

Know what you mean about the nannying though but I am not going to bother to rant any more, see my other threads onthis topic.
Are the petrol prices starting to affect you? - Blue {P}
Not yet it hasn't, it might later in the year though when I will probably chuck an LPG kit in my Mondeo and run it for peanuts until the tax on LPG goes up.

Only this evening I went shooting past the entrance to my estate on the way home from work and took a detour of 3 or 4 miles at warp speed with the tunes thumping and the night air blasting through my hair with the top down, all the stars were in the sky above, beautiful. :-)

This LPG is great and garages offer it but my mate is fed up with fuel stations running out of LPG he says for him it has not been worth the conversion costs because he often has problems finding stations that have regular stock
Are the petrol prices starting to affect you? - Blue {P}
Availability around my neck of the woods is pretty good, my uncle has used LPG to do a daily commute down into Yorkshire and hasn't had any problems, I suppose it must depend upon where in the country you are.

Are the petrol prices starting to affect you? - Big Bad Dave
Not petrol prices in particular, but the weak pound is having a drastic effect on my income. I earn in pounds but spend in zloties and now I'm only getting 4 instead of 7 for every pound I earn. After 15 years of V6s, straight 6s and turbocharged 2-litre petrols, the next car will be diesel, sensible and simple. Unless, that is, I suddenly find a golden client who wants to throw money at me.
Are the petrol prices starting to affect you? - stunorthants26
We completed our first long run in the Charade yesterday. Including 4 days of running around town and 250 miles of dual carriageway at 75 mph, we got and average of 52 mpg, which we felt was more than acceptable against the Forester which would come in around 30 mpg.
Even more telling, my misses said that she found the Charade almost as comfortable as the Forester and she would be happy to downsize to an auto Charade if economies dictated.
Certainly we can afford to run the Forester currently because it is only used twice a week to doing about 40 miles, but if fuel and road tax jumps another 25%, it will have to go, but not yet!

On the food front, anyone tried cornedbeef pie? we have it once a week and it works out for 4 people at 55p per head for a huge plateful, including all veg and potato.
Someone said above: >> The cost of fuel at the pump is out of all proportion to cost of producing and retailing it because it is so heavily taxed. We would not stand for any of the other essential goods we buy having their prices inflated like this. >>

Well. I don't want to argue what's essential and what's not, and I do agree that road fuel is over-taxed, but how much of the cost of a bottle of wine or spirits relates to producing and retailing it? We do put up with taxes on consumption of what we like to consume.

Anyone want to see duty on alcohol go up so that duty on road fuel can go down?

Cheers!
Are the petrol prices starting to affect you? - Alby Back
Anyone want to see duty on alcohol go up so that duty on road fuel can go down?

Optimist - of course I realise that you are only using this as an example. However, if we were, in a fantasy world, to be given that straight choice, I would have to say that yes, I would rather see more taxation on alcohol, if it genuinely did lead to a reduction in fuel prices. I can take or leave alcohol ( usually I leave it as it happens ) but I absolutely need to be mobile to provide for my family. If it happened to have the secondary effect of making our town and city centres safer and more pleasant at night then so much the better. Bring it on.
Not tried the pie stu but a corned beef and onion toastie goes down a treat....'Dribbles'

My favourite pie is sausage onion and tomato or a shepherds pie made by my own fair hand using the lamb mince from Southdown sheep raised by one of my employees.

We buy half a lamb at a time and freeze it to save money.

The difference in taste from the supermarket lamb is remarkable.

Likewise we have friends with an allotment who we receive vegetables and fruit from regularly when in season.

But lets get back to motoring ......
cost of a bottle of wine or spirits relates to producing and retailing it?

Getting drunk is optional but commuting is mandatory! You can't compare losing money vs earning money ;)

Are the petrol prices starting to affect you? - enfield freddy
well this morn , just put £5 in there, because i had,nt got my wallet , result 4.54 ltr

result = the £5 gallon,

sad days I can remember my father buying 4 gallons (and a couple of spashes of redex) for a £1

personally , 33p a ltr

Are the petrol prices starting to affect you? - malteser
Diesel on the Costa del Sol is now 1,24 euros a litre.
With the current exchange rate that's as near £1 a litre as makes no odds!
Unleaded is around 1,18 euros a litre

Thank goodness I'm only 20 mins from Gib!
Diesel is £1.289 this morning at my local
Just filled my Audi up at £82 which is about £20 more than what it cost at xmas. 65 litres at 1.28, if it goes to £1.50 then its going to be £100 fill up!!

I have just driven to Newcastle up the A1 and followed a Saab Estate with a sticker in the window that said 'If your stuck behind me Im saving fuel'! Wonder where you get those from? He wasnt hanging around though so only knows what he was like before he was saving fuel!!

Are the petrol prices starting to affect you? - boxsterboy
I've noticed the M25 is quieter on the weekend - fewer Sunday drivers. Every cloud has a silver lining!
I spent £20 on half a tank for my wife's Micra yesterday. A stupid price for a small amount of fuel.

You know what? I don't care. We've two cars and I've no intention of altering how we use them. There are worse problems on the horizon to do with the cost of food, maybe peaked according to the UN, and with keeping a roof over your head.

I know I've got to avoid being political, but the PM said yesterday that he was the right person to get us out of this mess because he'd done it before.

Excuse me? Isn't this the same man who told us that as Chancellor he'd brought us record growth, prosperity and employment. So, er, where was the mess, please?

Still. When he's taxed us into recession, demand for fuel will drop for industry and for private motoring so the pump price should fall. Every cloud...........

(That's a joke. Unfortunately it's not funny.)
Political take on VED increases backdated:
tinyurl.com/4n5zg6

Are the petrol prices starting to affect you? - Glacier
It wouldn't be so bad if that and the fuel tax was all ring fenced to make driving a pleasurable experience.
Still. When he's taxed us into recession demand for fuel will drop for industry and
for private motoring so the pump price should fall. Every cloud...........
(That's a joke. Unfortunately it's not funny.)

Unfortunately it's no joke as well as not funny.
Are the petrol prices starting to affect you? - spikeyhead {p}
I'm currently between contracts so not got a commute. Still doing quite a lot of leisure miles driving at the weekends to see friends and I've a driving holiday planned soon to either France or Scotland depending on my mood and the weather.

I've taken to driving at around 65 to 70 on long runs instead of about 85ish leptons. Having more time on my hands means I'm less bothered about getting places quickly. I've noticed that the motorways are definitely quieter at weekends and the traffic is moving more slowly.

When I take the Porsche out that still gets used as its makers intended, I', fortunate enough that I don't have to watch the pennies but I don't like paying the government any more than I have to.

Are the petrol prices starting to affect you? - bobson
I had my first incursion into £70 for a tank of petrol today, and that was at the seemingly 'cheap' price of 109.9!
Are the petrol prices starting to affect you? - L'escargot
I haven't changed my driving habits yet, but I am thinking about trying to economise on domestic heating oil. The price of this has increased 30% in the last 5 months and 80% in the last 16 months. Petrol price rises have been small in comparison.
Are the petrol prices starting to affect you? - El Hacko
Yes, so thought I'd try and change a habit. For the 70 mile trip Epsom to Stansted last Sun left home bit earlier and instead of usual 70ish mph stayed at 62-63 for whole trip, M25/11. Consumption (computer readout) went up fm usual 56ish to 64.8mpg at end of my return today. And each way probably took 5 mins longer - lesson learned, I reckon.
Are the petrol prices starting to affect you? - sony
And to think some of us were wanting the motorway speed limit raised to 80mph!

I think we'll all be travelling at 60mph very soon!
Are the petrol prices starting to affect you? - frazerjp
I was doing the same thing today whilst driving to the New Forest & back on the M4/A33/M3, cruising at around 60-65mph, trying to keep the rev needle at the 3k rpm mark.
Are the petrol prices starting to affect you? - mss1tw
Has HJ mentioned in his column how to drive most efficiently? Rather than the tripe on the radio (Always use the lowest gear...since when? Peak torque was in 3rd not 4th at 30mph on my last car)

Lots to be said for anticipation as well.
Are the petrol prices starting to affect you? - nick
Absolutely mss1tw. Every time you brake it's fuel down the drain.
Are the petrol prices starting to affect you? - ajwt2
www.whatgas.com - Unleaded Prices are going crazy! Link now working

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 25/05/2008 at 19:59