Tyres needed urgently - Happy Blue!
Through son #1 distracting me, I managed to rip a hole in the sidewall of the NSR tyre of the Outback. I know that I could do with at least one new tyre elsewhere on the car and I need to get the spare replaced urgently.

Buying four new tyres seems sensible, putting the spare I have just used back in the boot. But, I don't really like the Geolanders that come as standard as I never go off road and would prefer something comfortable like a Michelin, but don't know what to go for. Any ideas anyone?

Size is 215/55 R17V
Tyres needed urgently - gordonbennet
You could try these people....consider the vredesteins at the top of the page, good stuff..do a search on tyretest.com for user opinions

tinyurl.com/5dnp42

Michelins in your size are an arm and a leg.

Are you going to deduct the cost of these from pocket money (is there still such a thing), in which case i object m'lud as the youngster by your own admission only helped cause damage to one tyre and you're trying to stitch him up for four...have you no shame. I'm going to call for Rumpole to defend the lad.
The children have to earn their pocket money via good behavior and the relevant son knows what he needs to do to get his way back into my good books! And it does not involve money or inappropriate behavior....

I really want tyres that are comfortable. As I only do about 9,000 miles pa, that is more relevant to me than being long lasting and having permanent 4WD means that absolute grip is less of an issue than with a 2WD car.
Tyres needed urgently - drbe
via good behavior and >> behavior....

Does the father have to earn respect by correct spelling?

;-))
I knew there was something wrong with the word, but I was too tired and frustrated with my children this evening to worry about it........
Tyres needed urgently - gabble
I can't suggest suitable tyres for a Legacy, but I can recommend www.etyres.co.uk.

I've used them for the last two sets of tyres on my car and can't fault the service or pricing. Prices seem very keen, cheapest or within a couple of quid each time I've checked and fully mobile fitting service that comes to you wherever at a pre-arranged time. I think it is run as a franchise type operation, so the quality of the staff may vary, but great guys in my part of the world. They took all the care in the world over my alloys.

gabble
Tyres needed urgently - Ed V
I changed those on my Outback to Bridgestone Turanza ER300s. Much quieter than the Geolanders.
Thanks

I have also been offered some Dunlops which are more for a car than a light SUV so should have a better ride and be quieter.

The Michelins I wanted are alleged to be harder wearing but therefore harder ride and noisier.
Also just been told that the Bridgestones are no longer available in the relevant size.
Tyres needed urgently - Mapmaker
IIRC mobile fitting services can lead to poor balancing?
Hence my decision to go to a long respected trader from tradtional workshop premises with whom I have dealt for many years. He sold me some Avons about 10 years ago that transformed a Honda Accord from a hard and noisy riding beast on Dunlops to a smooth and quiet limousine.

It is amazing the difference tyrs make. My wife's Trajet came with Michelins and after two punctures in two days, the car is now shod with Federals. Awful things, noisy, hard, no grip. Just cheap....I didn't choose them.
Tyres needed urgently - gabble
My experience of the mobile fitters is that they have all the correct gear in the van for balancing wheels (including adding weights to the inner edge rather than outer edge of fancy wheels), inflating tyres, removing silly low-profile tyres from alloy rims carefully etc etc. That said, if you are lucky enough to have an established relationship with a fitter you trust then it makes a whole lot of sense to continue supporting them.

gabble
Well got the Dunlops fitted for £110 inc everything a corner. Drove out and they seem fine; a little heavier than the old Yokohama's which is no bad thing, but little change so far.

Nice to see use of a torque wrench and copper grease as well. I change the punctured tyre myself yesterday and the old wheel came off easily as there was plenty of copper grease already on. However a small Peugeot came in and it took five minutes to get the wheel off the hub as it had corroded on. The fitter said that most 'high quality' European cars are like that unless you use grease or take the wheel off the hub at least every six months. The ease of access to their rubber and copper hammers bore the truth of this remark.
Tyres needed urgently - ukjazz
When I needed tyres for my old Subaru I hunted them down through:

www.mytyres.co.uk - check prices summer winter etc Good Quality + service

COSTCO - will have offers for Michelins

Blackcircles.com 2 choices fitted or just tyres - check out the premium brands

It will pay you to replace all 4 at same time then swop around at 20k

Good Luck
Tyres needed urgently - Pendlebury
In agreement with ukjazz - use costco if you can for michelins.
Blackcircles could not compete with costco when I last looked.
Just be careful about warnings over the cost of Michelins and false economies.
They will last longer than most other brands - according to all the independent tests I have read. They are more comfortable as well in terms of noise.
If it was me then it would be Michelins from costco.
Tyres needed urgently - rogue-trooper
I have 215/55 R17 on the Grandis. Can't remember what it came with but they were dreadful, and think that I now have Pirreli (or perhaps they were the ones that were standard). Will check what;s on later this evening. Think next time I might go for Verdersteins.
Tyres needed urgently - Marc
I priced up some Michelins (Primacy HP) yesterday and was shocked to find that Costco could only beat my local independent by £4 a tyre.

Thought the tyres would be worth the £25+VAT joining fee but not in this case.
Tyres needed urgently - quizman
A femail friend had a blowout today and wanted a new Pirelli zero rosso tyre. One quote was £185, another was £115 both fully inclusive.

It just shows that you should always get a few quotes.

I have had Dunlop tyres on several cars in the past. Never again, I think you can do much better with Michelin, Goodyear, Continental, Pirelli etc.