1999 1.3 Rusty Spark plug - billysbarn
I feel honour bound to say thank you to Trevor and the others on the thread for the message below.
I was asked by my daughter to service her T reg Ka. Is that 03? {No, it's 1999 - changed}
To my horror the first plug I tried to remove broke exactly as described in the thread.

Thanks to the info provided that when the top tapered section is removed which I drilled out, the remainder could be removed using a screw thread remover (known as EZ out in the US I belleve)

Here is my contribution which might help others:

I hopefully prevented all the drilled swarf from going into the cylinder using a "DUM DUM" flexible putty equivqlent which I pushed down the hole before I started drilling.
Hopefully all is well now.
( btw my own car is a Lexus Rx 400h which is going really well.)

Thanks again.
Billy

New Sat 7 Apr 01 20:21 Re: Ford Ka - rusty spark plugs - trevor
in my experience it is usually the fact that the plug sidewall corrodes very thin and the top of the plug snaps off leaving the threaded part in the head .usually if the broken porcelain is pulled out of the centre of the plug then a splined
"easy out" can be tapped into the hole in the centre to remove the remains of the plug without removing the head. The only prevention is a coating of high temp. grease on outside of new plugs when replacing them. The threaded piece left in the head isnt usually tight as the tapered seat is usually on the piece that snaps off.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 12/05/2008 at 11:25