Toyota Carina Oxygen Sensor Problem? - Danny
Dear Forum,

I have reason to believe the oxygen sensor is faulty on my 1991 pre-cat Toyota Carina 2.0i auto. (There has been a long history of running and starting problems in cold damp weather caused by a fuel mixture that gets weaker on its own a few weeks after adjustment).

I have 3 questions.

1) How easy is it to test an oxygen sensor to be sure that it actually is faulty?

2) If the oxygen sensor is indeed faulty, what sort of money am I looking at for a replacement, including both the part and the labour? Is it economically viable on an 11 year old car? I’d much rather fix it and keep the car but I have to consider if I’m throwing good money after bad.

3) Is it something only a Toyota main dealer should do? I’ve got no problem in principle about using the main dealer but it’s much more convenient and cheaper at the independent garage I use.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Danny, Medway, Kent
Toyota Carina Oxygen Sensor Problem? - dan
Um, this is a lambda sensor in the exhaust isn't it?
1)Local garage can test the voltage given out by the sensor quite easily. Often as part of an emissions test.
2)£40 for a non-OE part plus maybe £10 for the adapter. Garage can fit it in half an hour probably. Could do it yourself but given its probably right in the centre underside of your car it isn't worth the hassle.
3)Main dealer will charge double for OE kit. If you've already had it tested at the local garage, just get them to do the job.

Also run a tank of fuel with a bottle of injector cleaner in it.
Can't do any harm.

dan
Toyota Carina Oxygen Sensor Problem? - Crinkly Dave
I vaguely recall an article last year about the Carina sensor being slightly different because of the lean running of its engine, and that Toyota had extended the warranty to something like 60 or 100k. Might be worth a phone call to a Toyota main agent at least
Toyota Carina Oxygen Sensor Problem? - jc
The classic lambda or ego sensor merely swithes the voltage when the engine runs rich or weak.There is a much more high-tech and expensive type where the voltage changes proportionately inline with the amount it is rich or weak.