02 1.6 - not starting after stored for a month - rozza
Hi,

I am after some advise after storing my brother's Mini Cooper S in my garage. I moved it into the garage a month or so ago and it started no problem but I went to move this weekend and it wouldn't start.

All the dash lights came on and it made a clicking sound when I turned the key but the car did not start. Any ideas of what to look at or will I have to get it recovered to a local dealer and plugged in?

Thanks in advance,

R

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 06/05/2008 at 14:38

02 1.6 Cooper S not Starting - Screwloose

Try jump-leads.
02 1.6 Cooper S not Starting - henry k
Try jump-leads.

>>
But "seriously" read the manual first.
Re Focus / Mondeo, there are very specific instructions on what to do before removing the leads and it is not what you can guess. All about not damaging electronics.

Similar requirements may apply to your car
02 1.6 - not starting after stored for a month - Victorbox
Do as suggested & jump start or alternatively charge the battery. If you didn?t disconnect the earth lead before storing then the battery has probably just gone sufficiently flat that the starter motor can't engage.
02 1.6 - not starting after stored for a month - Spospe
Sounds like a flat battery to me.

If it is the original battery, then by now it is 6 years old and probably well down on capacity. After a month of storage following a very short drive (when you moved it into the garage) it is most probably flat, flat, flat.

Try charging it before you expend any money.
02 1.6 - not starting after stored for a month - rozza
Thanks folks,

I guess if it is a really flat battery then it won't light up the lights etc but it obviously has enough power left to turn everything on. Will give the jump leads a dust off and tell my brother he neads a new battery!

Cheers
R
02 1.6 - not starting after stored for a month - Lud
When you turn the key and hear the click, you should see the lights all going dim. The battery has enough juice to light bulbs and work the relay, but not to crank the engine.

I suppose the battery must be maintenance free, but he doesn't necessarily need a new one. Once the thing is charged it should be OK for daily use. Of course it shouldn't normally go flat in a week of idleness. Might be a good idea to get a spare in for the day it really goes phut.
02 1.6 - not starting after stored for a month - Falkirk Bairn
If there is enough power to light up the p[anel lights try giving the car a push

1) Switch on engine until panel lights come on, select 3rd gear and keep clutch down
2) Get some neighbours to push
3) When moving at a slow run lift clutch pedal

and it should fire!

4) Give the car a good run of a few miles

1) is included as years back SWMBO had not switched on the ignition and car did not start even after reaching foot of the hill.
02 1.6 - not starting after stored for a month - Pugugly
....invest in an Optimiser (CANbus) charger to keep it charged up.