05 1.6 engine warning light - adygolding
hi, after some advice before i book car into Fords. I have an 05 (new shape) 1.6 duratech ford focus. Last night i pulled out of a junction and what sounded like a bang?, difficult to hear over radio and 2 kids. Since then the engine light is coming on and off and it feels like it is running on 3 cylinders? Fine on idle, but if you rev quickly big induction noise as if no air filter, possible coil pack, lambda, crank sensor? swapped a few relays about and all fuses are fine. Dont really want to pay through the nose just to replace the coil pack which i can do myself. Car was in twice last year for cutting out intermittently and they reprogrammed the ecu. sods law 2 months out of warranty! please help.
05 1.6 engine warning light - adygolding
well worked it out myself. Plugs were the cause, removed caps and were drenched in water at 15 mm deep. Cleaned all area surrounding plug with rags, bought new ones and as new. possible cause was the caps had not been pushed down fully and maybe previous owner decided to wash engine? or fords did not put leads down fully in correct position when it went in 3 months ago? Any hows all is ok, was going to buy new coil pack but £12 later its back to new.
05 1.6 engine warning light - Screwloose

Check for water leaks through the bonnet from the washer jets - used to be an issue on the earlier model. Never known it cause failure to rev though?

The other known problem is water leaking from the core plugs between the spark plugs.
05 1.6 engine warning light - pete. t
Problem is most certainly rain water (or from washing the car) leaking past the washer jets (Fords know about this!!) had the exact same problem with mine, if you have a look at your jets and the way they are mounted on the bonnet you will see that there is no rubber seal between the jet and bonnet, the revised washer jets have this seal and if your car is still under warranty then have it done free of charge , failing that you can by the new jet kits for a few quid from dealership and fit yourself.
Cheers Pete