03 1.7 Suddenly unable to engage gear - pvcu man
Whilst in traffic, earlier today Sat 3/5, suddenly unable to engage gear. I was not most popular whilst holding up traffic on Ladbroke Grove earlier today. The car was resisting my changing gear, making screaching noises and jerking movement. The clutch still seems ok but have problems trying to engage gear and up until this incident both clutch and gearchange were working perfectly, in other words no sign of failure.
Because this was so sudden could this be a linkage problem, please advise and all suggestions most welcome and appreciated.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 04/05/2008 at 00:52

03 1.7 Suddenly unable to engage gear - Peter D
Will it go into gear with the engine off. If so then this could be a clutch failure and is dragging thus locking you out. Regards Peter
03 1.7 Suddenly unable to engage gear - pvcu man
Peter, thanks for your reply. I have so far deduced that whilst the engine is on the gears can be selected with the clutch depressed or so it seems. Just when you thought you were in a certain gear or even neutral and the moment the clutch is raised it's a different story.
It originally displayed symptoms of gear linkage failure, then it became a possible engine mount failure, now it would seem to be a spider gear failure or a replacement gearbox. With the gearbox being obviously reconditioned.