V40 T4 (2000X) - Are these reliable? - Jase
Hello again,

A friend (yes another one) is tempted by an X Reg V40 1.9T4. It's done 115kmiles and is stickered at £2k at a local dealer.

I am nervous for him, but is this unfounded?

Are these reliable? Any one any experiences? Can't imagine economy is too clever?

Thanks as ever.
V40 T4 (2000X) - Are these reliable? - craig-pd130
I had the 2.0T light-pressure turbo model, which is similar (only small differences to engine, mapping etc.). Economy is frankly, crap. I used to get 32mpg if I was lucky, I'd expect 25-ish from the T4.

The drivetrain is very very reliable, huge truck-size intercooler, watercooled turbo etc which means they are robust. It's essentially the 5-cylinder motor from the 850 / S70 series with one cylinder removed, and they are a very solid proposition.

The electronics and ECU seem to be reliable, but it would be worth checking the boost control hoses for perishing etc as these could cause all sorts of phantom faults if there's a crack or leak. The turbo boost is controlled by a pressure solenoid. Luckily, all this stuff is easy to see and get at without have to dismantle anything.

Usual turbo health checks apply: does it give blue smoke when cold? Suspect worn bores or leaky valve guides. When it's hot, especially after a test drive, let it idle for 30 seconds then stand outside the car and prod the throttle to get the revs up to 3-4,000. A puff of blue smoke means engine wear or turbo oil seals on the way out.

It's a fast car so brake discs could be worn. They don't seem to rust much. Hard wearing interiors.

Not fun to drive (although the torque steer in 3rd gear exiting roundabouts was a hoot) but surprisingly quick, if you get a good one for 2K it's a bargain.