Permabag - Car cover - Anyone used one ? - Surrey_Scientist

Been searching for a cover that fits my Celica convertible - not having much joy , noticed a product called "Permabag"

Seems to be a huge bag that has a "divers zip" that is impervious to water.
You open it out, drive the car on to it, and zip it in.

Inside are cannisters of dessicant that absorb the moisture, and also a little digital hydrometer so you can see the humidity inside.

Cannisters of dessicant can be regenerated by baking in your cookers oven.

Seems to have the advantage that as it competely encapsulates the car, even from underneah, and its completely waterproof ( and so has the dessicant) that fit isnt such a problem - bad fits seems to leave puddles on covers thateventually leak through to the car underneath.

It costs about £350 which is about the same as a Covercraft or other top brand cover.

Looks quite a good idea - has anyone got any experience ???

Permabag - Car cover - Anyone used one ? - Billy Whizz
Looks pretty good.

Note that, from the permabag.com website, an outside cover for your car costs £ 469 (if yours is a Celica Convertible 1994 -1999)

Permabag - Car cover - Anyone used one ? - Chrome
I have used something similiar in the past for my motorbike made by a company called Vacbag and it works well. The only problem I had was of manouvering the bike into position etc. The mosture absorbing sacks can be dried out in an oven but the time /energy costs of doing this are not worthwhile IMO because it takes all day I think. I gave up on the Vacbag because when I traded in my last bike the fact it was in nice condition made no odds ,"I can see you have looked after this very well BUT.............", so I haven't bothered with the bike I currently own , just clean it regularly and spray with a corrosion inhibitor.

Edited by Chrome on 28/04/2008 at 09:04

Permabag - Car cover - Anyone used one ? - Harmattan
I can't comment on the outdoor bag but my post-vintage car has been living in an indoor Permabag for the last seven years and only gets released if I am in the UK in the summer. I last aired it in September and it looked pretty much as it did when first stored and without any of the usual storage smells. The capsules -- I overspecified 2 big ones and the half-size -- only get regenerated in the oven for 3-4 hours maybe four times a year when I remind someone to do it. That is probably less than ideal but seems to have avoided any semblance of surface rust. I think the big advantage is that you avoid most of the condensation that occurs with temperature changes. If you have any doubts just e-mail Permabag. I did before buying mine and they rang up from Germany to ask about the car and for a picture so based on the low height they could recommend a size lower and cheaper than I had asked for. Very nice people.
Permabag - Car cover - Anyone used one ? - asha

I have used the PermaBag since 2002,never had a problem untill i went to buy a second one in a larger size to store a different car.The second one is slightly different to the first one that i bought in 2002,the material is thinner,and each corner seems to be sewn in,so you have less room at each corner.This may seem trivial,but it has become rather annoying to say the least,this new PermaBag will not sit straight no matter what i do with it.I queried this with the company,first by sending an email,which wasn't responded to,so i decided to phone them.I spoke to someone called Jos and was explaining the differences between my two PermaBags when i was cut off.I assumed it was accidental,or a problem with the phone,so i called back later that day.

When i called back and identified myself,i was promptly cut off again.When i tried to call back again,the phone was not answered,so i assume that they are not willing to talk to me for some reason.They have ignored my emails and any attempt to call them since.I had nothing but praise for this company when i first purchased my PermaBag,and an Autopyjama flannel cover from them.I can't recommend them anymore due to how they have treated me,the product has changed and so has the company.I will be putting my second PermaBag up for sale in the new year,it's a size PM only used once,it will be on ebay if anyone is interested.

Edited by asha on 18/11/2016 at 16:26

Permabag - Car cover - Anyone used one ? - 220seb

I bought one for my SLK - I stored it for 3 years mainly to protect from mice. I took it out 3 times in this time and on returning it last week the zip failed. It's probably been opened 6 times in total. I emailed the company and have followed up a number of times - not a single reply. Good idea and works well in use, but it's a £685 investment and neither the quaity nor the service justify this.