Removing oil through the dipstick. - wazza
Years ago (more than 15?) i remember seeing a machine at several petrol stations. It had a thin tube which you insert into the dipstick tube of the engine in your car and remove the engine oil. Basically it allows you to change the engine oil without the need to get under it to remove the sump plug. Not recommended because you should change the oil filter as well unless it is accessible from top of the engine.

Are these machines still in use nowadays? I am looking for one in the Nottingham area.

Thanks to those who have replied
Removing oil through the dipstick. - zookeeper
why dont you spend an hour doing it yourself rather than drive around robin hoodville looking for an oil syphon... then at least you know its been done thoroughly and while your at it change the filter too... i would if i were you
Removing oil through the dipstick. - steveo3002
yes theyre still for sale...you can find them on ebay and such like

must admit id rather drop the oil incase theres some sludge build up at the bottom

Removing oil through the dipstick. - adverse camber
hmmm.

mods quick on the draw tonight.

I posted an answer and a link.

I saw that the link was too long for the page.

I went off and did tinyurl. edited my post.

and found it had gone while I edited it.

how about a couple of minutes leeway guys?

And now its back ? Is this a quirk of the editing system then?

trigger happy...

haven't you got a decent bottle of burgundy to be getting on with?

Edited by adverse camber on 26/04/2008 at 23:26

Removing oil through the dipstick. - adverse camber
These machines are commonly used by many garages and main dealers.

There has been lively discussion on their merits on here.

you can buy them at places like machine mart or at boat chandlers.

eg tinyurl.com/6lq64h

Glad you edited, unfortunately a slip of the finger deleted the very lengthy link you posted

Edited by Pugugly on 26/04/2008 at 23:24

Removing oil through the dipstick. - Pugugly
Moved it to the garden shed temporarily to tinker with it !

Patience is a virtue. :-)

Edited by Pugugly on 26/04/2008 at 23:28

Removing oil through the dipstick. - Hamsafar
If you hurry! You can get a Pela clone at Eurocarparts for £41 at the moment.
www.eurocarparts.com/website/sales.html
Scroll down to near the bottom 529770091.

Edited by Hamsafar on 27/04/2008 at 00:00

Removing oil through the dipstick. - oilrag
I have used one for years, always changing the oil at half the manufacturers interval, so no chance of sludge.
Having said that, if an oil has started sludging, its going to take more than taking the plug out to remove it I think.

If you have a top mounted filter, (no need to remove the undertray) an extractor makes an oil and filter change an easy, clean job.If its easy to do, it makes it more acceptable to half the oil change interval... well, that`s how i see it ;)

regards

`halve` i mean..
Removing oil through the dipstick. - Robbie
I bought one from Lidl a few weeks ago, for changing the oil in the lawnmower. It was about a fiver, but it only holds 1.5 litres.

I suppose you could use it for a car if you kept removing the old oil into another container.
Mine is the Sealey. Bought years ago from a local motor factors.

tinyurl.com/5tv3xc

Edited by oilrag on 27/04/2008 at 11:52

To add,
Be sure the tubes on the one you choose can reach the pump when its stood on the floor in front of the car. Unless they used identical oil temperatures when testing, I would treat those extraction rates with a pinch of salt too.
Hot oil and its not much more than a minute, cold oil.. and well....go and have a coffee or two.

Edited by oilrag on 27/04/2008 at 12:01

Removing oil through the dipstick. - Stuartli
I use National for oil and filter changes (the price charged is the same or less than if you bought them yourself and a lot less messy); the oil and filter change is always done correctly and takes about half-an-hour.

I'm also given the balance of the five litres allowance for topping up purposes.

Edited by Stuartli on 27/04/2008 at 12:12

But do they use the manufacturers OE filter?

I like to see the Mobil 1 going in from my own can ;)