99 1.6 heater problem - poloowner
My heater does not blow hot air at all. i have tried to run the engine up to remove any air locks but this has not made any difference. All the heater controls work fine, but i just get no heat into the car. Can anyone help at all?

Edited by Pugugly on 26/04/2008 at 21:19

99 1.6 heater problem - Peter.N.
Im not sure of the exact layout of your heater system but they are all fairly similar. Providing it hasn't got a water control valve which most havn't, the temperature is controled by a movable flap that allows either hot or cold air, or a mixture of both, to enter the car. This is either controlled via a bowden type cable from the heater controls, or if its electronic, by a motor.

The first thing to do is check if the water is circulating through the heater matrix. To do this, locate the heater flow pipes, you should see them dissapearing throught the bulkhead behind the engine. If the circulation is normal, both pipes should be at approximatly the same temperature, if one is cold, you have either a blocked matrix or possibly an airlock - unless it has a water control valve which is faulty.

If both pipes are at the same temperature the water is circulating OK so the fault must be with the flap cables/motor or control system.
99 1.6 heater problem - poloowner
Thanks Peter, I will check the necesaries. I contacted the renalut main delaer that did the headgasket recently and they confirmed that they had advised the previous owner that the car needed a new heater system radiator, cost approx 700 euro for 8 hours labour plus parts. I guess thats why it was not done.
I wonder if the current Rad could be flushed at all?