1995 2.0 Battery warning light on just now. - FotheringtonThomas
Just about to leave on a longish trip. The battery warning light is now on. I possibly heard a faint clonk on starting, there is possibly a bit more of a whirring buzz than before, but the belt is moving. I was supposed to leave 30 minutes ago! Now this has just happened! Any "bright" ideas about what's wrong?
An afterthought - the car went in for an oil/filter change yesterday, by national firm, & the chap didn't seem too keen on groping around by the oil filter and getting oily removing it. Some wires seem to go down there. Could there be a link between these circumstances?
Have driven up onto a couple of old wheels. Can't see anything amiss under in vicinity of oil filter, not to say there isn't, though.

Fuses? Relays? Argh!
Can't see any blown fuses in the panel in front of the driving seat.
1995 2.0 Battery warning light on just now. - Billy Whizz
Has the plug fallen out of the back of the alternator?
Plug? I'll have a look. I have poked about at the wires inside near the ECU and behind the fuse panel, but can't see anything obviously wrong there.
1995 2.0 Battery warning light on just now. - mfarrow
Were the lights noticably brighter when you revved the engine before, and are they now? That'll tell you if the alternator's still pushing out juice.

If so disconnect the battery or alternator when you stop at the other end of your trip to prevent the battery draining for now to be on the safe side, and sort it when you get back.
The red warning light on the dash brightens as I rev the engine. The headlights have never seemed to brighten appreciably when I blip the throttle. Unfortunately, I can't just drive/charge, I'd need headlamps, & it's too far. I'll see if I can find a meter and stick it across the battery terminals.
Can't see anything hanging off the back of the alternator, although it's hard to see.

Voltage across the battery seems to be about 12 1/2V with lights/heated things on. Possible very slight increase in voltage (1/4 - 1/2V) when the engine's revved. Could be mistaken, it's a 50V scale.
1995 2.0 Battery warning light on just now. - Screwloose
FT

Check the small brown wire that earths the alternator to it's bracket.
I can see a blue and white stripey wire, that goes to a terminal on the back of the alternator, and a thick red one terminating under a nut towards the bottom of the alternator - nothing else (I am going to look for an inspection lamp). The alt. has got "Delco" cast into the end, if that helps.
FT

Which engine is this? Single/DOHC? Power output?
'95 2.0 GLS Ecotec, looks like DOHC, power output, dunno, 120 to 150BHP maybe, when actually working, flippin' thing.

Difficult to be precise without an engine code; but if there are only two cables to the alternator, then they will be the main one and the warning light.

As the light is on, then it may be fairly safe to assume that the warning circuit is active; so check that there is battery voltage on the red lead and that the alternator casing is well earthed. [Use a jump lead.]
1995 2.0 Battery warning light on just now. - Alby Back
Had a problem on a car once after a service where the alternator had had some diesel spilled on it following a filter change. Caused the the alternator to fail.
Sorry. Went to the garage this afternoon, £150 for a new alternator, fitted. Bother. I'll have to stay "in" at the weekend, now.