Blue badge parking - menu du jour
As inappropriate parking in disabled bays comes up for discussion on here occasionally, I thought some Backroomers may find the following interesting.
ASDA and now Sainsbury are to fine people for incorrect use of disabled bays.
I only hope I am there one day when someone has a fine imposed on them. Also hope the person doing the enforcing is well built.
screwtape

Edited by Pugugly on 23/04/2008 at 11:41

Blue badge parking - Pugugly
Totally agree with fining them. I despair of people usually (I'm sad to say) in expensive German brands who appear to disregard the rights of the disabled at Supermarkets. I have noticed that some of the occupants of the cars that park, without authority, in these bays are usually of the physique that would benefit from the occasional waddle from the far end of a car-park. As previously stated, if I became physically disabled I would take a role in promoting "active" dissuasion. I would willingly give my time to defending any disabled person
who ended up in Court as a result of such activity.
Blue badge parking - Optimist
I'd like to see a sign by blue badge parking which says "Parking regulations enforced by man with hammer."

And everyone who parks without a badge gets a headlamp smashed.

I feel a lot better now I've told someone that.
Blue badge parking - Screwloose

If I were ever to return to my vehicle and find some oaf, however well built, smashing my headlamps with a hammer - he would immediately become the star of the first disembowelling clip ever seen on YouTube...
Blue badge parking - FotheringtonThomas
ASDA and now Sainsbury are to fine people for incorrect use of disabled bays.

Good. If people who park in them can't read the signs, they shouldn't be on the road. If they can read the signs, they shouldn't be there.
Blue badge parking - geoff1248
Is there some sort of ratio that states that for every say 10 parking spaces there must be 1 blue badged? If there is does this take into account the number of badge holders in a specific area or countrywide?
Blue badge parking - isisalar
I agree entirely with all of the above.Even more annoying though, to me at any rate, was the fact that when working as a cab driver a few years ago at least 90% of one of the ethnic groups of drivers had blue badges on their cabs,and none of them were at all disabled. They claimed they were designated drivers for some elderly relative I believe.They certainly had no trouble abusing the system.The advantage was the lack of parking tickets,being able to park on yellow lines etc. Grrrrr.
Blue badge parking - welshlad
what really annoys me is the assumption by some people that blue badges are even abused by the disabled, i am disabled and i have a blue badge but i dont always use it i have good days and i have bad days on my good days i dont used disabled parking i leave them for people who do need them and park in the nearest free normal space i can find (even on a good day im not superman).

im not alone in doing this i know of a few other blue badge holders who use theirs as and when and not all the time just because they have one.

To me that make the abuse by non-badge holders even worse it smacks of bad manners and even worse a distinct lack of consideration for anyone else, sadly this is reflecting in society as a whole and not confined to disabled parking

rant over!!
Blue badge parking - Ben 10
The only reason these morons abuse the parking set aside for disabled patrons is that the bays are wide and thus their treasured possession is immune to dents and scratches from other cars. Purely selfish acts that needs addressing. If the security at these supermarkets do not want to confront these people personally, then take a photo and send them a fine in the post.
The only answer to selfish parking is to make all bays wide enough so they don't have an excuse to park in a blue badge spot.
Blue badge parking - ifithelps
How about fining the dozens of able-bodied drivers I've seen using a disabled badge?
How about fining the dozens of able-bodied drivers I've seen using a disabled badge?

>>

quite right i personally think the whole badge system needs revamping whats the point of having the eligible persons photo on the back where it cant be seen that needs to be in full view and traffic wardens / car park attendants need to start asking 'so where is the person in this picture'
Blue badge parking - bathtub tom
That could create a problem.

My late ma-in-law had a blue badge, and if I took her to town, I'd drop her off as close as possible to where she wanted to go. I'd then go and park, usually in a multi storey. I was quite aware of the looks I received as trotted away from the car, but it meant I could park for free, without cluttering up yellow lines.

Misuse?
Blue badge parking - Bromptonaut
Bathtub Tom asked:-
Misuse?

Yes
My late ma-in-law had a blue badge and if I took her to town I'd
drop her off as close as possible to where she wanted to go. I'd then
go and park usually in a multi storey. I was quite aware of the looks
I received as trotted away from the car but it meant I could park for
free without cluttering up yellow lines.

shakes head in disbelief
Blue badge parking - PhilW
"That could create a problem."
A problem for you - but I presume you are not disabled, so it wouldn't be too much of a problem for you to park legally?
I hope you didn't keep the disabled badge in your car and abuse it even when not giving MiL a lift?

Blue badge parking - ForumNeedsModerating
Being a hearty believer in the law of karma, the ultimate reward for those people using disabled parking spots/privileges without due cause will probably be that very thing. In another sense, by mimicking being disabled for advantage, you are practising for it.
Blue badge parking - bathtub tom
Perhaps I should elucidate.

I'd leave Ma-in-law, and whoever was pushing her around in the wheelchair, while I went and parked. I felt that because I was able, I didn't need to clutter up disabled spaces, but because I was using my own car at my own cost, I should take advantage of the free parking the badge gave me. I'd then return to collect the car, and pick up passengers from a convenient point.

I didn't keep the badge in my car, Ma-in-law carried it with her for use by whoever happened to be ferrying her around.

The badge was surrendered on her demise.
Blue badge parking - grumpyscot
The only reason these morons abuse the parking set aside for disabled patrons is that
the bays are wide and thus their treasured possession is immune to dents and scratches
from other cars.

Our local Tesco is really bad for this, so what I do is, instead of returning my trolley to the trolley stack, I simply leave it as close as possible to the passenger door of the defaulter - especially good if it's a BMW X5 (they usually are them, Range Rovers, or Lexus) - as near under the wing mirror as poss so they don't actually see the trolley in their mirror.

If they don't see it, the look on their face is wonderful! Even if they do see it, they have to get out again to shift the trolley!

Devilment? Yes. But so, so pleasurable!

But I saw a goo done th eother day - woman in her Range Rover (no badge, of course) got blocked in by an old man in a Rover 214 who had a badge but no spaces left. He parked up close to her rear bumper then went into Morrisons for his breakfast. He refused to move his car until he finished his breakfast! I felt like buying him another bacon sandwich!
Blue badge parking - L'escargot
Devilment? Yes. But so so pleasurable!

No. Childishness.
Blue badge parking - Whisky
No. Childishness.

More grown up then when I kicked someones bumper off who had dented my car :-)

I may try the trolly trick next time.

Edited by Whisky on 24/04/2008 at 10:44

Blue badge parking - bhoy wonder
The system needs a total overhaul. I worked with a rather large lady. She had a disabled badge because of her size and the other illnesses that came along with being this size. Always thought it was strange that all these illnesses had cleared up when she decided to immigrate to Australia.

Great on the old boy for blocking in the Range Rover.
Blue badge parking - Bilboman
Two simple solutions:
1. Have all blue badge bays in supermarket car parks properly patrolled (trolley assistants then have a dual role, offering assistance where necessary and keeping an eye on the use of blue bays.)
2. Legislation to make abuse of disabled parking a recordable offence, whether the bays are on private or public land; CCTV to film culprits (why not? - they're used for everything else these days!) and truly massive fines and points on licences for transgressors. Fines don't bother them? Fine, then let's go for wheel clamps, tow trucks, filming, naming and shaming on TV, YouTube,...
Blue badge parking - Cliff Pope
There has been a special key system in use for years giving access to disabled toilets. Why can't the same key be used to retract metal posts?
Blue badge parking - deepwith
Using a Radar key in a post would be fine for me, as the 'able' driver, but can you imagine the chaos if a disabled driver who uses a wheel chair had to unlock a bollard? Even those who have it down to a fine art, still need time as the chair needs to be put together before they transfer into it and then deconstructed for them to park their car etc etc......

Blue badge parking - Whisky
1. Have all blue badge bays in supermarket car parks properly patrolled (trolley assistants then
have a dual role offering assistance where necessary and keeping an eye on the use
of blue bays.)

Have you met many Trolley boys?
Blue badge parking - agrb
couldnt agree more.My wife and I both have blue badges, she cannot walk at all and needs a wheelchair.Me because of breathing and walking difficulties. Some days are better than others and I often use an ordinary space if shopping alone at Tescos on agood day.It does seem to me tho that these badges are obtainable too easily- lots of holders seem to park in a disabled bay and then walk quite normally. Cannot be too judgemental tho as is not unknown for me to walk fairly normally for 100/200 yards and then virtually collapse. Interesting tho that most non disabled motorists are indignant about this.Thankyou for that!!
Blue badge parking - Muggy
Depends on the disability.

My wife is a badge holder because she is partly sighted and epileptic.

She can walk normally in the physical sense, but for her even with glasses her best vision is similar to what a person who needs glasses to obtain normal sharp vision would see without their glasses on.

And if she is getting overtired she is at risk of having a fit. In these instances, being able to use a disabled bay to reduce the effort needed for her can make the difference between her having a fit and avoiding one.

Edited by Muggy on 24/04/2008 at 16:55

Blue badge parking - Alby Back
Issue the trolley boys with tazers to use on the offenders thus temporarily "disabling" them and giving them at least a short term moral right to park in the blue badge bays! Bet they wouldn't do it again. There are so many things I shall do when I am in charge..............;-)
Issue the trolley boys with tazers to use on the offenders thus temporarily "disabling" them

ok now that is funny