Filling up - wotspur

I have a 2.2 dci car, and generally fill up every 550 miles, with the cost of petrol, last week, at Tesco's, it came to £84.00, so another couple of weeks and that will hit the ton, or if I'd filled up at a motorway robbery station .
What does it cost you to fill up
Filling up - Pugugly
I wouldn't put petrol in it a diesel will run rough. Do you want me to change it ?
Filling up - Bill Payer
Won't you need to change his injection pump & fuel lines too?
Filling up - DP
Wrong side of seventy quid on both cars now, and both are family saloons - nothing flash whatsoever.

I love the way the blame is subtly being shifted via the media to the oil companies, when it's still the tax take that makes up the vast majority of the price we pay. I would love to see the increase in revenue through the VAT receipts alone in the past 6 months.

Cheers
DP
Filling up - Zub
Not such a bad idea, surely you could submit a freedom of information request and get this information from the government?
Filling up - Dipstick
Was costing me just about £90 a fill and I decided enough was enough, so have just swapped for a different beast. Same range, now £34 to fill with super, never mind ordinary unleaded. Result.

It was one extreme to the other it's true but I'm happy with the decision, and £50 up already in a week on fuel alone.

Filling up - oilrag
I think the most I put in was £43 worth of Diesel. the tank holds 49 litres and I can get lower to mid 70`s mpg, with a one off best of 78mpg (55-60mph)
Filling up - Mapmaker
Was costing me nearly £100 a fill, so I put a couple of bricks in the tank. It's now cheaper. Result.

I thought of swapping for an Imprezza as they have tiny tanks.

Alternatively, use the Pay at Pump at Tescos, and you're limited to £60, so no more inflation.

Edited by Mapmaker on 23/04/2008 at 13:28

Filling up - Optimist
DP said: >>I love the way the blame is subtly being shifted via the media to the oil companies, when it's still the tax take that makes up the vast majority of the price we pay. I would love to see the increase in revenue through the VAT receipts alone in the past 6 months.>>

Dead right. It's the tax and duty that's the crippler. At a very rough estimate the tax and duty together on a litre of fuel must be something like 200% plus of the cost. Quite high, that.
Filling up - gsb
Why is the difference in price, deisel to petrol continually increasing, the oil companies or tax?
Filling up - L'escargot
>> I have a 2.2 dci car, and generally fill up every 550 miles, with the cost of petrol, last week, at Tesco's, it came to £84.00,

Assuming £1.11 per litre, that means you only get 33 mpg. So much for diesels being economical! Crikey, I get 38 mpg overall average from my 2 litre petrol Focus without even trying!

Edited by L'escargot on 23/04/2008 at 14:37

Filling up - midlifecrisis
£70.00 to fill the Pug.

But hey!....Gordo tells us inflation is only 2%. Life must be sweet in the parallel universe he exists in.
Filling up - wotspur
Yep filling up with petrol, in my DCI would be a problem, but I didn't think about the term.

L'escargot, well done on your mpg, but I use my Espace like a van,(wish I'd bought a van) never any rear seats, but fully loaded with heavy equipment, and I'm usually rushing around and travel at safe speeds for the road conditions, mainly on motorways, and not always within the limit !!

I have tried, slower acceleration,and less heavy breaking and conserving more by going slower, and I have managed to do 600 miles,but I get bored driving at 50-60 on motorways, I prefer remaining alert at 70-80. ooooh lock me up and throw away the key
Filling up - Whisky
Oil to heat homes is made from the same stuff as diesel. Therefore theory tells us that in winter diesel will be in shorter supply therefore more money, by contrast the difference should be smaller in summer.

Although in theory all these biofuels are pushing up the cost of food, due to a shortage of fields. But how come the price of fuel is going up too?
Filling up - Martin1981
Diesel at my local Tesco has now reached 117.9 ppl against 107.9ppl for unleaded. It is really annoying the hell out of me how the price difference between diesel and unleaded seems to be forever growing. It's almost getting to the stage where I'm considering buying a petrol car, such as a 1.6 Focus (average 38mpg) when my elderly 306TD bows out. Either that or a small diesel i.e. Fiesta TDCi which is capable of 60-65mpg on long steady runs.

It cost me a record £66 to fill the 306 on Monday at 117.9ppl. What's more annoying is the fact that the vast majority of it goes to Mr Darling.

Martin
Filling up - Optimist
Someone asked: >>Why is the difference in price, deisel to petrol continually increasing, the oil companies or tax?>>

Not sure. Despite the claims of encouraging people to "go green" by using diesel, it has always been taxed that bit more than petrol. Whenever the price of fuel goes up, that's made worse by VAT being added at 17.5%. And of course VAT at 17.5% is charged on the fuel duty.

It's going to Darling now, but it was Brown with his fuel accelerator who got us as highly taxed as we are on fuel.

I don't think either of them has any idea of what it's like in the real world.
Filling up - RichardW
Current fuel duty is the same on ultra-low-sulphur petrol and diesel now (which it all is on the forecourt) - 50.35 ppl I think this went up 2p / l in October last year. at the current price of £1.20 / l diesel is 51.78 p for the product, 50.35 fuel duty and 17.87p VAT. Last April the pump price was approx 95p/l. In this case the make up would have been 14.15p VAT, 48.35p duty and 32.5p product. So VAT / duty has increased from 62.5p / l to 68.22 p/l - a 9.1% increase. This has shielded us (in % terms) from the 60% increase in the product price.

The tax mark up rate on the product has fallen from 192% to 132% - which HMG would no doubt trumpet as tax reduction!!
Filling up - welshlad
mr brown says find alternatives for getting to work etc.......this from the man who works from home and when he does have to go into the office gets driven the few hundreds yards in a gas guzzling jag.

when you consider the the oil companies are actually one of the few truely global companies its hardly surprising they make the profits they do but we are being led to believe that they make their profits from fleecing us which is totally untrue like its already been said its the tax and duty that fleeces us.

i think its about time we all went straight to the source of the problem and stop letting ourselves be side tracked with the oil giant conspiracy propaganda
Filling up - madf
Stop whingeing about tax.
It's boring

Start whingeing about government expenditure.
The Government spends money like water and does not tax us enough to cover it all.
I suggest you start suggesting where the Government can save the £40 billion which it spends in excess of its receipts.

Halving the number of MPs would be a start. Or schools or hospitals or the Olympic Games. Or The £50Billion for Northern Crock.

I bet some of the whingers voted for this Government.
Filling up - Optimist
Tax? Boring? Good grief!

But you're right. We could pay less if we spent less.

If you really want a suggestion I'd ditch every consultant and adviser to every organisation or body paid for out of public funds. Every time El Gordo gets rid of a few middle-ranking, relatively poorly paid public servants, he brings in a raft of people on contract from the private sector and pays them more.

No-one voted for Brown, not even his own party. They didn't get the chance.
Filling up - David Horn
£66 quid to do the Honda today, though on BP Ultimate the improved fuel economy more or less balances the appalling cost over bog-standard diesel.

However, the odd scream is still escaping me as I realise how much it's costing. Hopefully, will only have to fill up once more before I go onto $3/gallon in the US. Will be brimming the car before I leave though, dread to think how much petrol will cost at the end of the year.
Filling up - madf
Article on direction of oil prices.

money.uk.msn.com/investing/articles/nicklouth/arti...3
Filling up - Alby Back
One thing for sure it should reduce the number of so called mis-fuelings. I find that I simply can't think about anything else but the filling up process in great detail now while I'm doing it! Every ten pound increment that clicks over hits me in the wallet like a fiscal defibrulator. (sorry if that's spelled incorrectly) No chance of not concentrating!
Filling up - smokescreen
Politicians need to learn how to eat their own dogfood. Its all well saying that 'find an alternative' , but I'm pretty much sure if they were travelling similar distances from their 2nd homes along with the rest of the public on public transport, they'd change their tune pretty fast...
Filling up - Optimist
If the article that madf posted is right then tax on fuel should be reduced to make sure the economy trundles on.
Filling up - Hamsafar
The tax on red diesel is going through the roof too.
Boat owners, farmers, builders etc.. are very upset.
On 28 February 2008, HM Revenue & Customs revealed that from 1 November this year, boaters will be paying a duty rate of 56.94 pence per litre, instead of the current rate of 9.69 pence per litre!

This will see prices of red diesel rise from around 58p to over £1 a litre.
Filling up - madf
>Optimist
I trade oil shares.. have done for years.
To me it's obvious that oil prices are long term a one way ride.

That's why I boughta Yaris diesel, now I have switched off the aircon except for very warm days. I'll be interested to see what mpg imporvement I get ovr the current 57mpg.

(About £40 to fill up every 500 miles)

Edited by madf on 23/04/2008 at 18:51

Filling up - Hamsafar
"I trade oil shares.. have done for years. To me it's obvious that oil prices are long term a one way ride."....."That's why I bought a Yaris diesel,"

Hmmm, something contradictive about that!

Filling up - Optimist
Earlier post said: >>On 28 February 2008, HM Revenue & Customs revealed that from 1 November this year, boaters will be paying a duty rate of 56.94 pence per litre, instead of the current rate of 9.69 pence per litre!>>

I had no idea people who used powered pleasure boats paid only the same rate of duty on their fuel as farmers. Hardly groups who both contribute to the nation in the same way.
Incredible. And thinking about it: do boaters pay anything like a VED as they go about polluting the environment? I suppose there's a fee to register the boat with the Maritime Agency but after that?
Filling up - Ben 10
Passed by a Shell garage today near Western Avenue. £1.20 per litre ,diesel,. 1 hour later it had changed to £1.21. Cost nearly £60 for me to fill up. How bad is it for hauliers. This will generate inflation as the cost is passed on to the consumer. And I got a 2.4% pay rise this year. Stabilization of fuel pricing through adjustment of tax is the only way forward.

This could be done by a sliding tax on fuel which could be used to keep fuel at a set price.
As the price of fuel increased the scale of tax would be decreased. This would keep fuel at one price. Goods and services would not pass on fuel duty to their customers, hence calming inflation. Everyone would know where they stood. And forbid, the price of fuel came down, their chancellor could increase tax to maintain the status quo.

Edited by Webmaster on 24/04/2008 at 01:13

Filling up - Optimist
And another thing.

I've just tried to find out what is the situation with private planes. They pay no air passenger duty and it looks (I'm not certain) as though they pay a low rate on fuel.

In doing that I came across this organisation at www.bettertransport.org.uk. When they lobbied "not now" Darling in January, they suggested that fuel tax go up by x pence per litre plus 3 or 4% because if motor engines became more efficient, polluted less and did more mpg, people would use cars more and should be discouraged by increased taxes. I'm not sure that follows.

I also read on a freight association site that the total tax associated with vehicles is £41 billion per year.

Haven't they heard of the goose and the golden egg?

Filling up - welshlad
In doing that I came across this organisation at www.bettertransport.org.uk.

>>

any 'green' lobbyist who doesnt live in a cave, living off nothing that nature doesnt provide and doesnt lives without electricity or gas and has ever been in any mechanical vehicle....doesnt have the right to tell tell any of the rest of us how to live our lives

Edited by welshlad on 23/04/2008 at 20:38

Filling up - Roly93
I think diesel has gone up 1p per litre per week for the last 3 months personally, last night tankfull was 4p per litre dearer than the last tankfull. This is very worrying, because it means that by this reckoning, diesel will be about £1.50 a litre by christmas even in the chepest places.