Sat Nav sends driver into river !!! - Cyd
news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/norfolk/7362254.stm

When I were a lad...taxi drivers knew their way round!

Any way, who was in control of this vehicle, the driver or the nav?

We've heard of stuff like this before. People seem to think sat nav is an excuse for not looking at signs or where they're going.

No sympathy.

Discuss
Sat Nav sends driver into river !!! - Billy Whizz
Cyd, if I recall correctly, I have driven on a B-road (or it could have been classified as a green lane) in the West Country which follows the course of a shallow stream for 200 yds. Maybe you have driven something similar in your rallies?

And there are plenty of fords I have crossed.

Sat nav getting people stuck - would never happen to me! ;-)
Sat Nav sends driver into river !!! - hillman1 {p}
All the more amusing because he worked for a firm called Streamline!
Sat Nav sends driver into river !!! - oilrag

tinyurl.com/5k35zt

Edited by oilrag on 23/04/2008 at 10:53

Oilrag, ah, yes, that Lynn News piece with photo is rather more revealing than the BBC one! Not similar to my "six inches of clear water running over the top of the tarmac" experience!
Sat Nav sends driver into river !!! - stackman
I guess its lucky there aren't any cliffs in that part of Norfolk.

Sat Nav sends driver into river !!! - oilrag
If the driver is from a different part of the world where unsealed roads, fords and driving down dried riverbeds is routine, its more understandable, perhaps?
I just showed that Lynn news piece to SWMBO to remind her of our german forest experience. And I must say how impressed I am with both the driver and Caravelle. He managed to drive (or maybe float) several hundred yards along the river and the engine was still running when his boss came looking for him. I wonder [a] what tyres he's got on and [b] whether a Caravelle would be a good choice for my next production car trials vehicle.
Sat Nav sends driver into river !!! - Mapmaker
"The vehicle still had its engine running and headlights on, and he was sitting in it with his trousers rolled up round his knees. I shone a torch in the river and there were fish swimming around the headlights"

Anybody else wonder why if the headlights were on they had to shine a torch in to see fish around the headlights?

Poetic licence perhaps.