VW Engine supply 1.4 TSI - what a cock up! - oldgit
One of VW's best selling Golfs, the Match had been offered, along with other engines, the 1.4 TSI 122PS engine, offering better torque and economy over their 1.6FSI engine which was going to be discontinued, anyway.
Imagine my delight, then, hoping that towards the end of this year, I would be able to replace mine with a new Golf Match 1.4TSI 122PS, (that excellent torquey engine).
Alas, no, this is apparently not to be now, at least for the forseeable future, as VW cannot keep up with the demand for this engine although (according to their website) it can be ordered if the DSG auto box is specified. Apparently the 'old' 1.6FSI engine can now still be specified in the Golf Match but as I already have this engine then a change is not really viable, is it?

Edited by Pugugly on 25/04/2008 at 13:42

VW Engine supply - what a cock up! - MichaelR
Why not just buy a nearly new 1.4 TSI Match instead?
VW Engine supply - what a cock up! - oldgit
Why not just buy a nearly new 1.4 TSI Match instead?

What a strange reply! What makes you think that there are any available when new ones haven't yet been made - unless of course you have information not available to we mere mortals.
VW Engine supply - what a cock up! - MichaelR
What a strange reply! What makes you think that there are any available when new
ones haven't yet been made - unless of course you have information not available to
we mere mortals.

You said quite clearly that it 'had been offered' so I assume it had.

'the Match had been offered, along with other engines, the 1.4 TSI 122PS engine'
VW Engine supply - what a cock up! - Shaz {p}
I thought the 1.4 tsi (the turbo / supercharged engine) was approx 170 bhp?
VW Engine supply - what a cock up! - Rhubarb
Any yet this engine is still listed as being available in the Audi A3 and the Seat Leon. I wonder if VW are holding this engine back to promote sales of the new MkVI Golf when it arrives.
VW Engine supply - what a cock up! - Lud
Get GTI Engineering or someone to make you a Polo or Lupo with that engine. That would be a jet-propelled roller skate all right.

Of course it's possible all the blowers and piping make the unit bulky and heavy. Does anyone know?
The new 122 BHP engine only has the turbocharger (no supercharger like the 140/170 BHP versions). The overall weight is 131 kg - see: media.vw.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=10146
The new 122 BHP engine only has the turbocharger (no supercharger like the 140/170 BHP
versions). The overall weight is 131 kg - see: media.vw.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=10146

No supercharger!! Are you absolutely sure of that fact, which, if true, surprises me as I thought that the whole idea of the supercharter was to give sufficient ooomph until the turbocharger cut in at higher revs.
Yep, sure of the fact. I have a writeup from Volkswagen Driver magazine and there's definitely no supercharger. If you go to HJ's writeup on the Mk V it's mentioned about 3/4 down the page.
Also see: media.vw.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=10132

"In contrast to twin-charged engines, the "small" 90 kW TSI uses just the turbo-charger for boost - an additional compressor is not required."
The new 122 BHP engine only has the turbocharger (no supercharger like the 140/170 BHP
versions). The overall weight is 131 kg - see: media.vw.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=10146

Yes, indeed, you are correct as some checking has revealed. I do now remember that this was the case but had forgotten. Ah, well, nothing wrong with simplification if it works and is efficacious! Sorry for doubting you.
VW Engine supply - what a cock up! - Lud
122 bhp was about what the Uno turbo had. Nippy.
VW Engine supply - what a cock up! - colinh
Must be a UK problem as it's still showing up on the VW Spain configurator in both manual and auto modes in all versions of the car. I think the local equivalent of the Match is now called iGolf (was Conceptline or Trendline). The DSG version is the new 7-speed one which offers better economy and CO2 figures

You were talking about the end of the year - isn't the GolfVI due then? The engines line-up will probably be revised again anyway.
VW Engine supply - what a cock up! - Tornadorot
Just to muddy the waters, VAG also have a 1.4 TFSI engined (125 PS), which has been an option for the A3 (and possibly other models?) since last year. I'm guessing the 1.4 TSI isn't an FSI engine, and hence is quite different.
Just to muddy the waters VAG also have a 1.4 TFSI engined (125 PS) which
has been an option for the A3 (and possibly other models?) since last year. I'm
guessing the 1.4 TSI isn't an FSI engine and hence is quite different.

I'm pretty certain this is the same engine with a different designation and slightly different output. See: www.fourtitude.com/news/publish/Audi_News/article_...l
VW Golf 1.4 TSI 120 Am I a Cynic? - mattbod
Havjust been reding that Volkswagen have closed the order books on the Golf fitted with this engine. They say it is becasue of component shortage so tey can only bring 100 cars in a month whnthe order book is running to 1700. Now I fancy one of these cars and find it hard to believe that a company as large as VW should suffer shortages. I am equally cynical that they have put the 1.6 FSI back on sale. I suspect that they have a surplus of unfitted 1.6 FSI engines and they want to try to ofload these. I even read in HJ's column i the Telegraph a few weeks ago that a dealer was going to charge more for the 1.6 which is an inferior engine. Why do we Brits stand for this?

Finally I know that the SEAT Leon is available with this engine, does that have the same supply problem? Als does it affect the Twingcharge motor? VW has a factory the size of Monaco according to their literature so this s inexcusable in my opinion.
VW Engine supply 1.4 TSI - what a cock up! - mattbod
P.S Don't be tucked into a 1.6 FSI people. I have driven that engine in an Octavia and was really unimpressed: no low down pull to speak of and a reluctance to rev. This 1.4 sounded great with 147 lb ft coming in at a low 1500 rpm. Wait for the new Golf or and see your SEAT Dealer and see if he can supply you with the Leon if you like the look of this car. Why can't a firm as big as VW anticipate demand unless of couse they want to deliberately restrict demand or, as i feel, offload all the old 1.6 units on us Brits.
VW Engine supply 1.4 TSI - what a cock up! - rtj70
"or, as i feel, offload all the old 1.6 units on us Brits."

Just maybe a bit of truth in this.... or maybe too many mad brits won't accept a 1.4 (albeit with forced induction) can be better than a 1.6?
VW Engine supply 1.4 TSI - what a cock up! - mattbod
Just the opposite, there is huge demand for this engine over here hence this situation.
VW Engine supply 1.4 TSI - what a cock up! - colinh
In Europe the 1.4TSI is still being offered in the Seat Leon & Altea (but 125CV not 122), and the VW Golf (122 & 140), Crossgolf (140), Jetta (122 & 140), Passat (122), Golf Plus (122 & 140), Touran (140), Eos (122), Tiguan (150)

As noted above, the Brits are part of the awkward squad driving on the wrong side of the road, and hence easily isolated in marketing terms.
VW Engine supply 1.4 TSI - what a cock up! - oldgit
In Europe the 1.4TSI is still being offered in the Seat Leon & Altea (but
125CV not 122) and the VW Golf (122 & 140) Crossgolf (140) Jetta (122 &
140) Passat (122) Golf Plus (122 & 140) Touran (140) Eos (122) Tiguan (150)
As noted above the Brits are part of the awkward squad driving on the wrong
side of the road and hence easily isolated in marketing terms.

Well, I have been on to the Seat UK website and apparently, if I configure a Seat Leon 'Stylance,' I can have one with a 1.4 TSI engine (or can I?). Anyway, I have sent for a brochure and will eventually contact the dealer when the time comes.

Can there really be this discrepancy between VW and Seat cars and the availability of these TSI engines?