Wheel fell off my car 9 days after tyre change - donovlaim
Hi,

Looking for some suggestions on where I stand persuing this one..

I had 4 tyres changed by a tyre place, 9 days later going along the motorway the front wheel fell off, the bolts were rattling around under the hub caps. I was doing 60 at the time on the M4!

Not really sure where I stand on this as it is a cheap car, bought for £700 but has had some idiot key it all over since, and a further 10k miles so not it good nick.

I think being that the MOT is up in june and it will need some work to get it through, its going to be a scrap job.

I've had a scap yard pick it up, and a mechanic is going to look at it to asses the damage, but based on what I've told him it wil be £350 min, if he does find anything else more.

So I've lost my car and the money spent on 4 new tires!

Do I have much basis to go back to the garage with if the mechanic feels it's their poor fitting (which I can't confirm yet, but seems likely.) ?

ANy help much appreciated.
Wheel fell off my car 9 days after tyre change - Lud
It would be strange if a loosening wheel didn't make some difference to the steering, not to mention an alarming noise, for some considerable time before coming off.
Wheel fell off my car 9 days after tyre change - movilogo
This is quite serious.

Do you have proof of work - like invoice etc.? You can definitely claim from the garage for bad workmanship.

You probably need report from another independent expert confirming that it happened from shoddy work.

If you stick to your point and be prepared to go to court (if required) you can probably get enough compensation.

But it's quite lengthy and frustrating process though.

I do, I kept the invoice, it's around somewhere.

I also have my statement from the bank if it is missing.
Wheel fell off my car 9 days after tyre change - welshlad
firstly can you specify a couple od points

1. did you hear the nuts rattling about in the hubcap prior to the incident
2. did you do the usual 5 mile check after the new tyres were fitted (using an independent contractor does not exclude you from having to do this)
3. is it possible that the same person who keyed your car loosened off your wheel
Wheel fell off my car 9 days after tyre change - welshlad
oh yeah

4. was SWMBO really surprised to see you when you got home almost as if she was expecting someone else (like the police with bad news ) just kidding
lol
Hi,

Thanks for the reply's,

1. There was a knocking on turning in one direction, which I put down to probable drive shaft. and discussed with mechanic he said he though it was a drive shaft, (booked it in for a check today but incident happend last night). when I got on the motorway it wasn't major, but then suddenly got very loud and I was slowing down to stop.

2. No, wasn't aware that was normal

3. No, keying was from some drunken kids that did every car in the street.

I am sorry to say donovlaim that you and the 'mechanic' are to blame for not immediately checking the obvious. Sorry of course.

Unless there's very serious damage to the car, won't a new hub from a breaker do the trick?
Yeah, needs new hub, wheel bearing, disk, wheel and tyre. may need a few other bits.

Good suggestion though
Wheel fell off my car 9 days after tyre change - jacks
When I've had tyres fitted - usually by a well known national outlet - they've advised me to check whell nut tightness (or pop back for them to check) after 100 miles.

Was anything along these lines mentioned?

J
Wheel fell off my car 9 days after tyre change - Dulwich Estate
Every new tyre fitting invoice I've ever had has had a weasel clause saying check the tightness of the wheel nuts after so many miles. IMHO - no hope of a succesful claim.
Wheel fell off my car 9 days after tyre change - Pugugly
Always, without fail, been asked by National Tyres both verbally and in writing to tighten up after 100KM. Would say its standard operating procedure to have it on the small print.
no mention of checking them, no one has ever suggested that to me
Wheel fell off my car 9 days after tyre change - b308
New tyres fitted - shortly after noise from front wheel area - my next step would be stop and check, don't like any unidentified noises from my car....

Nuts can loosen, especially if they hadn't been changed for years before, I tend to feel that the loss will be down to the OP, not the tyre fitting company....

Edited by b308 on 21/04/2008 at 18:15

Wheel fell off my car 9 days after tyre change - PoloGirl
>no mention of checking them, no one has ever suggested that to me

Even without knowing where you had them done, I'm pretty sure there will have either have been a note in small print on your invoice/receipt, or a whacking great big sign on the wall. In all the places (big, small and backstreet) I've ever had tyre changed, there has been.

Scary thing to have happened though, glad you're ok.

Edit: If it does go for scrap, can't you take the new tyres off and sell them, e.g. on Ebay?

Edited by PoloGirl on 21/04/2008 at 18:21

Wheel fell off my car 9 days after tyre change - VR6
I would be straight round the they tyre place and tell them what has happened. They may be able to help with the cost of repair to keep you quiet.

I have also never checked the tightness of wheel bolts after a tyre change, and i dont know a single person who has.

Also , would some small print asking you to check the bolts after x miles really absolve the tyre fitter of any responsibility for a badly fitted wheel?
Don't want you to name the company involved, but the small print on the back of the invoice is pretty critical.

Report it in person and in writing to the outlet involved. Get the name of the person in charge.

Whilst there check out any signage regarding the points raised above.

Is there scope for an independent examination of the car ??

I've never checked the bolts either. Usually a proper tyre fitter will torque them on in front of you.

On the other hand I've never driven far enough on a loose wheel to do any real damage either. It's only happened once, and I was myself the culprit.
Wheel fell off my car 9 days after tyre change - PoloGirl
I wasn't saying I do check, just that that's what the small print and the big sign are for...
I've never checked mine either but I should. I'd then look at it being my fault if it all goes horribly wrong.
Wheel fell off my car 9 days after tyre change - krs one
My local tyre place has a sign up behind the counter telling you to check your wheel nuts the day after you've had your tyres changed. I've always thought this was a cop out , as how are some people to know how tight they are meant to be.
Wheel fell off my car 9 days after tyre change - Dynamic Dave
how are some people to know how tight they are meant to be.

It should be in the car's handbook, but few people read that either.
Wheel fell off my car 9 days after tyre change - PhilW
Just had some tyres fitted by our local independent - watched him use torque wrench to put wheels back on and asked him why he didn't use the "air hammer thing"and he said you couldn't rely on their settings for torque and also said "bring it back in a couple of days and I'll recheck them".
Wheel fell off my car 9 days after tyre change - Pendlebury
I have just had 4 tyres replaced by costco - I could not believe how cheap they were.
Michelin Energy 195/60 15" - £59 each with fitting, balancing, valve and vat - and then with a further 20% reduction on top for buying 4.

Anyway - they made me sign to say that I was responsible for checking the torque (they supplied the value) after 25 miles of driving - or they did offer to do it if I popped back in.

Did you do anything similar or were you informed in writing on any of the invoices ? (might be in the small print somewhere)

Edited by Pendlebury on 21/04/2008 at 21:11

Wheel fell off my car 9 days after tyre change - Number_Cruncher
>>I've always thought this was a cop out

Sorry, but there's a very good engineering reason why it's a very sensible clause.

During tightening, the wheel bolt only stetches (elastically) by only about 30 microns**. If there's any debris, between the wheel and disc, or between the rear face of the disc and the hub which would compress or embed by anything like the 30 microns, the wheel nuts will become loose. Yes!, that's a properly tightened wheel nut coming loose without any rotation or slackening - purely by embedding and compaction of carp.

** compare the thickness of a human hair ~50 to 100 microns!

Also, using a buzz gun to tighten wheel nuts is bad practice - especially so if the gun is used to hammer the bolts home, rather than to simply spin them into place.

Even without a torque wrench, you can easily use the standard wrench, after 20 miles or so, to make sure the bolts aren't about to drop off!

I used Costco to fit a couple of tyres to our E300D the other week. I'll be fitting the next tyres myself.

Wheel fell off my car 9 days after tyre change - Bill Payer
Even without a torque wrench you can easily use the standard wrench after 20 miles
or so to make sure the bolts aren't about to drop off!

Presumeably you'd really need to loosen them and retorque, rather than just check the torque?
I used Costco to fit a couple of tyres to our E300D the other week.
I'll be fitting the next tyres myself.

Care to expand on that?
Wheel fell off my car 9 days after tyre change - Cliff Pope
The more usual complaint is that garages do nuts up so tightly that no ordinary human can undo them with the puny wheelbrace supplied in the usual tool kit. I do usually check mine, but that's to loosen them so that I know I can get them undone if I have to.

It sounds odd for all of them to come loose, unless they weren't tightened in the first place. When I have myself forgotten to tighten the nuts the noise has been unmistakeable.
>>Presumeably you'd really need to loosen them and retorque, rather than just check the torque?

No, not really - it's just to check that they aren't completely loose. Ideally you would re-torque, but most people at home don't have the equipment or knowledge to do that.

>>Care to expand on that?

No, it's as close as I'll approach the naming and shaming policy.
Wheel fell off my car 9 days after tyre change - FotheringtonThomas
I'll be fitting the next tyres myself.

Have you a machine, or does your technique involve using a jack, or a big lever, or running things over? Perhaps something else... interesting.
>>Have you a machine

No, just some very old fashioned clamps and levers. They work very well.

Wheel fell off my car 9 days after tyre change - none
Torque settings are absolutely pointless unless the components are in 'as new' condition. Quickfit operators don't derust and clean mating surfaces or spigots.
The torque wrench is just a bit of show. The 'must check wheel nuts' notice just passes the responsibility to the car owner.
Wheel fell off my car 9 days after tyre change - Galaxy
I always do, and always have done, tighten up my wheel nuts with a socket set ratchet (yes, I do know that you aren't supposed to use the ratchet for this purpose!) just as tightly as I possibly can.

Been doing this for 30 years on various different cars that I've owned, never had a problem with wheelnuts coming undone, or, for that matter, had any problems with the ratchet either, and I'm still using the same one.

I always used to check the wheelnuts for tightness after having new tyres fitted but, I'm very sorry to have to say, these days I don't bother!

I always do and always have done tighten up my wheel nuts (...) just as tightly
as I possibly can.

Cripes (swear filter permitting). If I did that, either the bolts/studs would stretch and break, or the nuts would dish out the cup in the metal of the wheel until the nut contacted the hub material - the latter being perhaps worse.
Wheel fell off my car 9 days after tyre change - ForumNeedsModerating
If I did that, either the bolts/studs would stretch and break, or the nuts would dish out the cup in the metal of the wheel until the nut contacted the hub material...

It's difficult to over-torque using a spanner - in fact spanner shaft lengths generally reflect the maximum torque that need be applied - that's why small spanners have short shafts & larger ones longer. Of course, you may well have the hand & arm strength of a Geoff Capes!

When I for whatever reason change wheels, I use the supplied spanner-thing in the toolkit & tighten as hard as I can without using much body weight (or feet!) , i.e. pure twisting moment from arm strength. If the engineering principles of spanner dimensions have been adhered by the toolkit (car) maker , the torque should be about correct - I always re-check my own work after a suitable period though.

Maybe I'll start to check after visiting the tyre fitter in future after reading this thread though!
Wheel fell off my car 9 days after tyre change - L'escargot
I have also never checked the tightness of wheel bolts after a tyre change and
i dont know a single person who has.

The first thing I do when I get back home after a tyre change (or a service if I think they may have removed any wheels) is loosen and then re-tighten the bolts/nuts of all four wheels with a torque wrench. For the sake of the small amount of time it takes it's better to be safe than sorry.
Thanks all for your responses, I will find out today what the cause is and let you all know. I am fairly sure I am on to a looser with this one!

However I don't think it's un-reasonable to assume wheels are done up correctly, as some of you seem to suggest, especially as there was little sign of a problem untill a very rapid decline and failure.

And really I doubt most of the motoring public have torque wrenches, or indeed any idea what a slight knocking noise would be.
I had 4 tyres changed by a tyre place 9 days later going along the
motorway the front wheel fell off the bolts were rattling around under the hub caps.
I was doing 60 at the time on the M4!

Had they loosened, in which case it's fairly and squarely your fault, or sheared off, in which case it isn't?
Wheel fell off my car 9 days after tyre change - grumpyscot
I always thought that good motoring meant carrying out weekly checks of your vehicle for things like oil level, windscreen washer levels, tyre / wheel condition, lights, wiper blades.

Wheel fell off my car 9 days after tyre change - pleiades
Out of interest was it the left or right wheel as I thought there's some theory that left side tends to self tighten and right side untightens unless left hand thread like some older heavy cars and commercial vehicles (or is it the other way around). Never quite followed the reasoning with wheel nuts/studs tho' can understand the inertia idea with the old knock on hub nuts. (still have two copper hammers at home both with the leather bit missing). I only check the wheelnuts after a change to make sure I can undo them!
Wheel fell off my car 9 days after tyre change - The Gingerous One
I too have always been informed by the various fast-fit places that the tyres should be checked after 100 miles.

In one case, I told the guy "does that mean you expect me to stop by the side of the M42 in about 90 mins and do it ?" as I was about to drive up from Hampshire to Lancs.

He said "I'll just nip them up a little bit more then. But you MUST check them."

They were a bit tight.

Wheel fell off my car 9 days after tyre change - Mapmaker
Lorry wheels have (did have?) left hand threads on the right hand side so that the nuts wouldn't work loose.

As for those without torque wrenches... torque is measured in pound feet. So if you're 140lb, and you stand on a spanner at 1 foot from the nut, you're exerting 140 lb ft. You can at least have an idea if you're in the right ballpark.
I've sometimes wondered whether this left-hand thread on the offside really makes any difference.
I see the principle - if you imagine gripping a right-handed nut on the offside as the vehicle goes past, it would tend to undo. But that's only while the vehicle is accelerating, and the nuts are tending to get left behind as it were on the studs. When the vehicle brakes the opposite would happen, and the nuts would want to go on spinning but the studs would slow them down.

So is it true that left-handed hub and wheel threads are only of value on vehicles with better acceleration than braking - ie old fashioned British sports cars?
I've sometimes wondered whether this left-hand thread on the offside really makes any difference.

It's certainly not an inertia argument.

It's only any use when the initial joint design is a bit poor. The old British trucks used to use LH threads on the near side. These wheels were located by tapers in the wheel rim, and on the wheel nuts. Now if you have 10 tapers, what is the chance that the hub can be machined accurately enough to all low proper 360 annular contact at each taper - Nil!! As the tapers located the wheel, they did take some load as the wheel rotated - the wheel would move around, promoting wheel nut loosening.

In most situations, fasteners which themselves rotate, and are subject to a rotating force should be fitted with a mechanical locking device. Why truck wheel nuts have avoided this is a mystery to me.

Contrast this with a proper spigotted design, where the location, and load pass through the spigot, and the studs pass through generous clearance holes in the wheel rim, which is clamped by a flat faced nut. With this, superior design, there's no need for the tack on afterthough of LH threads.

Thanks NC. Well-explained as always.
But your argument is for LH threads on the nearside? I, and other commentators, imagined they would be on the offside. If you hold the wheelbrace while spinning an offside wheel (forwards) with a normal RH thread, it undoes the nut.

Interesting perhaps that on the two occasions I have had a wheel come loose, it has been on the nearside.

Would the reasoning be any different if we were considering one large knock-off hub nut with wings, exposed to the rush of air, rather than 5 nuts shielded inside a knave plate?
Left hand threaded nuts and bolts are an appalling nuisance, and never really seem necessary. After all if you don't need them on a Ford you're hardly likely to need them on a Rolls-Royce. Yet I remember my Bentley having LH threads on one side, perhaps just on the nave plate which had its own big special spanner, can't really remember. I've come across one more recently too, again I can't remember where, quite apart from one of the hub nuts on a Dyane. I never remembered one of them until I had almost done some damage. Ghastly things, inviting the normal idiot to do damage and giving the trained artisan an annoying sense of superiority (along with a few skeletons in his or her cupboard).
The friction argument for left hand threads does have some possible use for hub-nuts, where is the wheel bearing begins to spin, the nut will tighten instead of loosen. The hub will be ruined anyway, but at least this does keep the wheel attached to the car - just about!

There isn't a friction argument for wheel nuts - there's nothing dragging on them. Think more about the wheel squirming about under the nuts, aided and abetted by almost impossible detail from the tapers.

From an engineering design point of view, it really is (or should be!) a solution of last resort. The cost in tooling up, and in then maintaining the extra part numbers is well worth avoiding.

I well remember uncovering an awful [although not atypical] fault during sericing a newish Iveco truck. The stub axles were fitted to the wrong sides, with the LH thread on the driving side. Eeek!
The stub axles were fitted to the wrong sides with the LH thread on
the driving side. Eeek!

So It's the nearside wheels that tend to come lose with an ordinary RH thread?

I've got a 1950s ex-army trailer and it has ordinary flat nuts, but quite wide. Under each is a large split cone-shaped spring washer. That seems the neatest way of locking the nuts in place, but there would always be the risk of losing one of the six washers.
Wheel fell off my car 9 days after tyre change - L'escargot
I've got a 1950s ex-army trailer and it has ordinary flat nuts but quite wide.
Under each is a large split cone-shaped spring washer. That seems the neatest way of
locking the nuts in place .........

This is just a general comment about ordinary nuts, as it's obviously not relevant to nuts with a domed face. Spring washers and serrated washers are rarely used in well-engineered products nowadays as they have been proved to be detrimental. Current thinking is for the nut (or bolt) to be tightened just to the point of plastic deformation of the male part. I doubt if you'll find a spring washer or a serrated washer on a modern car.
>>So It's the nearside wheels that tend to come lose with an ordinary RH thread?

To be clear, in the Iveco example, I was talking about the stub axles, and the nut that holds the wheel bearing, not the the wheel nuts themselves.

Cliff: as I wrote it, I was thinking exactly that. It is certainly well documented (perhaps only by myth, of course) that this effect does happen.
Wheel fell off my car 9 days after tyre change - doctorchris
I always check the wheelnuts/bolts after they've been removed by any garage. However it is usually a case of loosening them and them torquing them up to the correct setting. I've never found them to be too loose (as in Lautrec).
When I was a youngster, my dad and I did fail to properly tighten some wheelnuts on my mum's Ford Pop 100E. However, it made an awful racket on the road into Hounslow long before the wheel fell off. Of course, much slower cars then.
Wheel fell off my car 9 days after tyre change - bathtub tom
I lost the nearside wheel off a caravan. I'd had it off to check brakes and bearings, and to re-paint it. I was careful (I thought) not to get any paint on the area where the wheel mated with the hub!
The only warning was a barely audible whoop-whoop-whoop that I put down to something loose in the boot seconds before it parted company - I heard it then!
>>I used Costco to fit a couple of tyres to our E300D the other week. I'll be fitting the next tyres myself.<<

As requested by another poster above numbercruncher - what was your problem with costco that makes you want to fit them yourself next time ??
>>No, it's as close as I'll approach the naming and shaming policy<<

That's not very helpful - if you had a bad experience surley you can warn others of a potential problems.
Wheel fell off my car 9 days after tyre change - injection doc
there must of been considerable noise beforehand unless the Radio was on full chat! usuall problem. Don't ignore a noise.
Doc
Wheel fell off my car 9 days after tyre change - MVP
We had a set of new tyres put on our classic fintail merc several years ago by a specialst tyre place located in Beaulieu.

We went out for lunch, and while driving back to the museum, it felt like we had a flat tyre.

I checked but everything looked fine., so drove on a bit further with the same problem - checked again, all OK, thought it must be the road surface. We were right by the tyre place by then, so took the car in - it turned out they hadn't tightened the wheel nuts on one side.

If we had got on a fairly straight motorway, we possibly wouldn't have felt it until it was too late or we hit a decent bend.

MVP

Wheel fell off my car 9 days after tyre change - Dwight Van Driver
Neenahhneenah - screetch to a stop.

"Wots this Mr Donovlaim, why you stopped?

"Errr my wheel fell off Officer" - points to three legged car.

"That'll be an absolute offence Sir, £2,500 fine, 3 points."

Reaches for pocket book issues the following:-

That you did use on a road a certain motor vehicle Reg No N4KAR, the parts of which, namely a road wheel was in such condition that danger was likely to be caused to persons in or on that vehicle or on a road.

Contrary to Regulation 100 Motor Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regualtions 1984, Section 40 A, Road Traffic Act 1988 and Schedule 2 Road Traffic Offender Act 1988.

......".Papa 7 to Control, Ambulance please to my location. Driver now red in the face and suffering from fit...."

Never rains but it pours??????

dvd
Thanks for your constructive post.............

The garage has offered me compensation and accepted it was their error......... even though it was all my fault for expecting them to fit wheels properly lol

Let face it I think most people in the UK pay for a service and expect the job to be done correctly.

What about the rail workers getting prosecuted for not fitting rails properly, its the same thing!
SNIPQUOTE!

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 02/05/2008 at 19:21

Except DVD is a (recently retired?) police officer. He speaks the truth.

It is the pilot's responsibility to make sure that his vehicle is roadworthy. And that should be a salutory reminder to all of us.
Wheel fell off my car 9 days after tyre change - ukroo
hi
i know this post is from ages ago, but the same thing has happened to me whilst on holiday. do you have any advice for me before i go to the garage that fitted the tyres? i'm not sure what to say to them. thanks
Wheel fell off my car 9 days after tyre change - Collos25
Did you retighten the wheels after 100km if not ...
Did you retighten the wheels after 100km if not ...

As I have posted before, Kwikfit do not require retorquing after 100km. The guy in there looked at me as though I was mad when I took it back and asked him to do so.

Moreover, Kwikfit will remove your wheels without telling you, in order to look for other work they can undertake on your car. Under such circumstances you do not get to know that they need retorquing.
Wheel fell off my car 9 days after tyre change - Bill Payer
Franchised SEAT dealership removed and refitted rear wheels (steel) on daughter's car the other day.

When I got it home the wheel bolts where immoveable with normal tools - I tried a torque wrench at 150Nm (correct setting is 120) and it clicked away happily.

I removed them with an electric impact driver, but even that had to give each bolt several whacks.
Wheel fell off my car 9 days after tyre change - Collos25
I find it strange because its in the tyre fitters bible to tell the customer to have his wheels checked .
Wheel fell off my car 9 days after tyre change - 659FBE
If you buy a new vehicle there is no stipulation to my knowledge to have the wheels checked for tightness after a short distance.

On taking delivery of a new MB at Sindelfingen all the bolts were checked in my presence before hand-over, but I would suggest that is no longer the norm when purchasing from other outlets.

My present Skoda had bolts tightened to the point of immovability with the supplied wheel spanner.