01 1.7 oil pump failure - pgold01
I have an Astra 1.7 diesel. It was overheating so the head gasket was replaced and because of x contamination of oil and water the oil cooler was replaced. As good practice the cam kit was also replaced. Two weeks later the oil light came on. A vauxhall dealer said that the oil pump pully retaining nut had come loose causing the oil pump to spin with the drive of the cam belt wearing away the oil pump shaft giving a loss of preasure. my question is could this have happened because the cam belt was replaced and if so how?
01 1.7 oil pump failure - Carrow
It is a very common problem on these engines I'm afraid. I used to work for Vauxhall in parts & we used to do at least 2 a week. Sometimes you could just get away with changing the Pump & nut, other times turbo's were also replaced, and in some cases new engines were fitted. If the work was carried out at a Vauxhall agent I would have thought they would have checked the pump & nut. An independent garage might not be aware of the problem, but thats not to say it's their fault!!
01 1.7 oil pump failure - pgold01
Do you have to remove the oil pump ully to change the cam belt?>>

sq

Edited by Pugugly on 18/04/2008 at 18:46

Just spoke to my mate (Vauxhall mechanic of 15 years) and he says you don't need to change it. He did say they always check the nut & if it's ok, they "centre punch" it to stop it from coming loose. He isn't a bodge it kind of guy so I do trust what he says.
Sorry, didn't mean "change", I meant "remove".