2000 1.8tddi: Flashing glow plug light - Leedsdna
Engine loses all acceleration, Glow Plug Light starts flashing, rev counter drops to zero and engine just seems to be in tick over but doesn't stall. Have to turn engine off and restart.. Have taken it in to local garage after problems going up & down motorway to Nottingham last weekend and they plugged there computer but found no error codes to try and solve the problem!! Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated..

Edited by Pugugly on 07/10/2008 at 21:22

2000 1.8 Focus 1.8tddi 2000: Flashing Glow Plug Li - Diet
Had the same sympton in a 1.4i Petrol Focus a few years ago, Only time they could pick up the error code is when it happenedon the road and i got RAC out.

I had an engine warning light come up,
It was found to be a problem with the injectors, two or three were replaced under warranty,

2000 1.8 Focus 1.8tddi 2000: Flashing Glow Plug Li - Screwloose
LeedsDNA

Maybe your local garage's scanner isn't up to reading all the code memories. If the light was flashing, there should be one in there somewhere.

Cam, crank or pump-speed sensor signals would be my first check - why didn't they continue looking; there's a lot more to diagnostics than just reading codes.

Only a gut instinct; but if it's running OK, trade it in today.
2000 1.8 Focus 1.8tddi 2000: Flashing Glow Plug Li - Leedsdna
Garage is very good and reliable. They had cleared all the error codes last week so when it happened again they would know what need fixing. Unfortunately nothing has shown up. Looked on some forums about the problem and one suggestions that changing the Camshaft position sensor had resolved his problem, but when I rung me local ford garage up they said that my model/year of focus doesn't have it fitted!!

As this is doing my head in, trading the car in is what I am going to do.
2000 1.8 Focus 1.8tddi 2000: Flashing Glow Plug Li - Screwloose

The cam position sensor is integral with the injection pump on these - and that's the reason for my slightly pessimistic feeling on this one.

I've a hunch that the pump is breaking up internally and the debris is fouling the sensor.

What codes did they find and clear? Wasn't P1174 was it?
Not sure will have a look at invoice and get back to you on that as its a home..
cheers
No error codes logged on my invoice...
I have had enough now so am going to be trading it in soon once I get my registration doc through from DVLA.. Thanks for advice..
2000 1.8 Focus 1.8tddi 2000: Flashing Glow Plug Li - AndyT
The fault effect of the engine dropping to idle on these, is quite often caused by a faulty throttle pedal ass'y. Although I haven't heard of the other side effects along with that.
2000 1.8 Focus 1.8tddi 2000: Flashing Glow Plug Li - paulontour
I had the same problem on my Mondeo tdci after I had the dual mass flywheel and clutch changed. The glow plug light kept coming on and stopped the engine. The problem was metal shavings from the starter ring that was accumilating on the magnetic crank sensor. Once the sensor was cleaned problem solved.
2000 1.8 Focus 1.8tddi 2000: Flashing Glow Plug Li - salf
I had this problem. Would go along nicely then nothing, lost all engine power, quick off/on and it worked!

Throttle position sensor was diagnosed and a new accelerator fitted. cured the problem!

As a total novice to cars, i had no idea there was a computer thingy at the top of the accelerator, and it was this that broke.

Hope this helps!
2000 1.8 Focus 1.8tddi 2000: Flashing Glow Plug Li - dtownsend80
just had the same problem a diagnostic brought up the accelerator pedal (APP) sensor. only just had the pedal and sensor changed at cost of £120, but after bout 100 miles so far seems to be running fine, i wouldnt take it to ford though as their quote for a diagnostic was £90 and had to wait a week, quick glance through yell.com first garage called was £40and could fit me in first thing morning after. the repair at ford was going to roughly be £150 so shop around, the repair is also quick got car back within 2 hours includin another test drive and diagnostic check to make sure that the problem was rectified, hope this helps