`Ultra Violet`more `punch` in petrol - oilrag
`Ultra Violet` Tests the Agila and finds the 1.2 petrol engine "more punchy" than the 1.3 diesel, which has a 76NM torque advantage, delivered at 2,650 less revs.. How`s that then?;)

tinyurl.com/64w4sm

Regards
`Ultra Violet`more `punch` in petrol - Baskerville
More to the point, is there any editorial oversight on this stuff? I think not:

"For me, I would start with a head turning exterior to annoy the neighbours. I do not want the car to be too big thus being accused of damaging our dooming environment. I love metallic paint as it is cleans up well and vibrant colours are a must."

I am reminded of undergraduate essays in the lower second range.
`Ultra Violet`more `punch` in petrol - FotheringtonThomas
I am reminded of undergraduate essays in the lower second range.

Should be vastly above average for the population at large, then - although now, who knows.
>>although now, who knows.

You'd be amazed at how low the average is. But undergraduates haven't changed much in the last 20 years, even if it might seem that way. I suspect they haven't changed much in the last 40; they were always less competent than they are twenty years after graduation. Writers need editors, however good they are. The piece in question is shocking:

"The interior would have to be spacious with lots of oddments to store safely, personal effects."

What?
`Ultra Violet`more `punch` in petrol - Manatee
I hate to jump on a bandwagon, but I think you're being kind awarding a 2.2 Baskers.

I stopped counting solecisms after three paragraphs. It's not a case of being picky or clever - I actually trip over these things, lose the thread and eventually lose interest, even when the underlying content is more useful than here.

Funny how one only notices good writing when it's not there.

It's free though ;-)
Well, there are high 2.2s and low 2.2s. I don't think this is verging on good. I think HJ should look to his reputation and take great care.
`Ultra Violet`more `punch` in petrol - FotheringtonThomas
`Ultra Violet` Tests the Agila and finds the 1.2 petrol engine "more punchy" than the
1.3 diesel

The 1.2's quicker[1], and more powerful. Perhaps that's it.

[1] But not, apparently, faster - the 1.3 diesel does 130MPH??
`Ultra Violet`more `punch` in petrol - madf
Anyone who expects a motoring journalist to be conversant with facts, English and spelling, grammar and punctuation is deluded.

(well after George Bishop died anyway:-(
`Ultra Violet`more `punch` in petrol - L'escargot
`Ultra Violet` Tests the Agila and finds the 1.2 petrol engine "more punchy" than the
1.3 diesel .............

How`s
that then?;)

All other things being equal, acceleration is proportional to the torque at the driving wheels not the engine output torque. Since diesels invariably have a higher overall gearing than petrols, it's possible for the torque at the driving wheels to be less for a diesel than for a petrol. (Most diesel freaks either don't know this or conveniently ignore it!)
`Ultra Violet`more `punch` in petrol - nortones2
But not in practice because yer gas engine only comes into play above 4000, a region my wife thinks is risky. Anyway, sounds rather like a dry test to me: indoors, lap top, with brochure and paint chart.
Get What Car? magazine (or whatever) and compare acceleration times. According to the Ford brochure my 03/03 2 litre petrol Focus is quicker 0-62 than the equivalent 1.8 TDCi.
But not in practice because yer gas engine only comes into play above 4000 ..........

Get What Car? magazine (or whatever) and compare acceleration times. In practice (according to the relevant Ford brochure) my 03/03 2.0 petrol Focus is quicker 0-62 mph (9.3 secs) than the equivalent 1.8 TDCi (10.7 secs).

Sorry ~ I tried editing out (deleting) the first sentence but, as usual, I got an error message.
`Ultra Violet`more `punch` in petrol - nortones2
0-60 times are completely irrelevant, but that's all What Car gives, which is a reflection of its usefulness. Take Autocar: it tests the Fiesta ST (148 hp) and the Fiesta 1.6 Tdci (89 bhp) in top gear. ST: 9.2 50-70. Lowly old underpowered diesel: 9.1. The true reflection of torque, which is the issue, is in-gear acceleration. Not ultimate acceleration which will only be achieved a few times before the transmission fails. I'll bet you personally have never achieved a 0-62 in anything like 9.3 seconds, because it requires a harsh approach, repeated until there is no more improvement to be had, on a car that you don't have to fix:)