05 1.6 - Anyone experienced clutch problems ? - Martin1981
Evening all

My mate had to have a replacement clutch in his 2005 Focus 1.6 Zetec Climate a couple of months ago. The car had only 43k miles on it at the time of failure and to add to that the car has covered predominantly motorway miles. The clutch failed in the 'usual' way i.e. slippage when accelerating uphill, and cost £700 to replace.

Rarely have I heard of a clutch failing in any car at 43k miles, unless it's constantly been driven erratically. Most cars I have come across have covered well in excess of 100k on the original clutch. My old Peugeot 309 1.9D was still on its original clutch at 150k and my current 306 1.9TD covered 172k on its original clutch. My mate's 1998 Passat TDi is also approaching 150k on its original clutch and my boss's BMW M5 has just had a clutch replacement at 120k.

And as if he hasn't suffered enough already, he called me on Sunday to say that he is now having problems engaging gears and the car seems to be well down on power. He has it booked in tomorrow to see if they can diagnose the problem.

Have any other Focus (2004-2007) owners experienced these problems? Two of my work colleagues have the same car with similar mileage and have had no problems whatsoever. Maybe he has just been unlucky- (his family have never had much luck with cars)!

Would be interested to hear of any Focus owners with these symptoms.

Martin

Edited by Pugugly on 15/04/2008 at 21:19