Privacy glass. Why? - krs one
Having read the review of the Toyota Auris , it seems the top spec models come with the rear windows tinted as standard. Why do people want this? It ruins the look of the car and serves no purpose. I remember when it signified that you had a car that was imported from Japan. Anyone care to explain why this is becoming increasingly popular.
Privacy glass. Why? - welshlad
personally i think its a gimmick it used to be something special to have now manufacturers are using it as a 'styling' give it 6 months and everyone will be bored of it and manufacturers will stop incorporating it into designs.

BTW if the privacy glass comes as standard can you request not to have it?? just curious
Privacy glass. Why? - oldgit
Because a certain proportion of the population and that includes the motoring fraternity, are thick and lack taste - as simple as that.
Privacy glass. Why? - Pugugly
I have it in the Roomie (not through choice), far from being a fashion statement its actually a practical solution to a problem, it keeps the load area cooler in the sun, thus keeping dogs happy. It actually makes the Roomie look a little less Marmite, but I suppose if you don't get that you don't get the Roomie, and that doesn't worry me. And oh, thick, I'm certainly not !
Privacy glass. Why? - BobbyG
Have it as standard fit in my Altea, looks good, keeps the rear cool, and hides contents from prying eyes.
Privacy glass. Why? - Big Bad Dave
Some vehicles look far classier with it - Chrysler Voyager and Mercedes Vito, mpvs etc.etc. It gives them solidity and impact rather than looking like a big floppy, wobbly greenhouse.
Privacy glass. Why? - Vincent de Marco
Absolutely... Just look at those (photos taken all by myself):

www.fotosik.pl/pokaz_obrazek/pelny/4a5cd6785e01c8e...l

Edited by Vincent de Marco on 07/04/2008 at 21:54

Privacy glass. Why? - Alby Back
Interestingly one of the reasons it is sometimes specified is not to make a "fashion" statement but to attempt to conceal that which is being carried in the loadspace. I have to carry bulky work related kit on a daily basis but need both the loadspace of a van and the versatility of a car. I usually buy large estates as a result. One time I chose instead to have a Galaxy which came equipped with privacy glass. Great, I thought, better security. Irony is that this was the only car I have had broken into in the last 15 years ! The current crop of Mondeo estates leave everything visible and no one has ever touyched it even in dodgy inner city locations. I guess the low life think if you are hiding something it must be worth a few bob and if you leave everything in view in the back of a ....."patinated"......Mondeo estate it can't be worth much.
Oh and by the way, according to various, now very old, pieces of paper issued by a rather well known seat of learning, I don't seem to be totally thick either, but there you go ! Maybe I just lack taste.

Edited by shoespy on 06/04/2008 at 11:16

I can see the point if you are trying to hide work related stuff, but I've even seen it on a Maserati Quattroporte. IMO it looks awful.
Privacy glass. Why? - adverse camber
I can just about see the point on mpv's which have large expanses of glass and can thus get overheated without some extra shade. On anything else? naffness incarnate.
Privacy glass. Why? - T Lucas
I like it because it does hide things in the rear of the car and stops the sun glare into the rear of the car.Fashion?probably,makes me thick?well if you think so.
Privacy glass. Why? - Big Bad Dave
In many ways it's like colour, it's just not suited to every vehicle. Or maybe it would suit a silver or black Quattroporte but not a red one.
Privacy glass. Why? - Manatee
Don't have it, but absolutely no problem except on the front windows where it means one can't make eye contact with the driver. But I think it's illegal there anyway.
Privacy glass. Why? - davmal
Privacy glass. Why?

I think there is a clue in the question. It stops people poking their nose in where it is not wanted, much like curtains in the house and frosted glass in a bathroom.

Is that perhaps the real reason why you don't like it?
No, I'm not a voyeur. I just think it looks naff.
Privacy glass. Why? - gordonbennet
Its very good at what it does, and keeps chavs and others from having a casual nose about your rear end (oo er missus), i can understand the wariness some would feel as very often large black saloon cars are given the limo treatment and sometimes ferry around some extremely disturbing looking peole.

The pickup hardtop on ours came with the windows very tinted, same as the rear windows of the cab, i hope it doesn't look naff, but as a tasteless thicky i wouldn't know anyway, but mrs gb can throw all her junk and fur coats in the back without any knowing. mmm ladies who wear fur.....
Privacy glass. Why? - jc2
Because my car came with it;if I wanted it without,six weeks wait or two days on a car in stock.
Privacy glass. Why? - Roger Jones
Any measurements or estimates of the reduction in temperature?
Privacy glass. Why? - CheapNcheerfull
As said before keeps the back cooler, but with air con in most cars that doeas not count and stops the children from being roasted/glared when the sun shines
Privacy glass. Why? - Pica
I was led to believe that privacy glass is just coloured glass and does not reduce internal temperature or UV rays. On the other hand of you install metalised film tints this does in fact reflect sunlight and UV rays
Number_Cruncher will be along in a minute.
Privacy glass. Why? - Optimist
Why? Makes the car look as though it's owned by a very dodgy individual.

Having said that I believe that on the new Mondeo you can only have an automatic on a model that comes with privacy glass. Seems odd.
Privacy glass. Why? - doctorchris
This is also known as UKG, ugly kids glass.
No further eplanation required.
Privacy glass. Why? - Lud
As so often, I find myself wondering why people give a damn about this or anything else of the sort, whether in good taste or not. Lots of perfectly good cars are dodgy looking in one way or another. It's all part of life's rich tapestry, seems to me. Not a thing to waste emotion on.
VOR.
VOR... are you calling me a vile old rascal or something PU?
Privacy glass. Why? - Alby Back
I prefer "Venerable" . No real problem with the other two. ;-)
More along the lines of voice of reason !
Goodness.

Flattery will get you quite a long way with me.
As so often I find myself wondering why people give a damn about this or
anything else of the sort ... Not a thing to waste emotion on.

Why bother to post, then?
Why on earth not? Do you only post when you are carried away by strong and manly feeling?

Personally I do it as a form of idle chatter.
Do you only post when you are carried away by strong
and manly feeling?

Never on any other occasion or in any other circumstance.
Privacy glass. Why? - maltrap
plonkers have tinted glass in the hope that joe public will think there's someone famous (or infamous) behind it.
Privacy glass. Why? - Humpy
UV is stopped by glass, tinted or metallised or not.
Privacy glass. Why? - Clk Sec
>>Not a thing to waste emotion on.

Not my kind of topic, either. But this is a Motoring forum and it?s a subject some people are happy to discus.

Clk Sec
Privacy glass. Why? - BazzaBear {P}
Well, I never would have picked privacy glass myself. But my car came with it, and in actual fact it looks great against the red of the paintwork.

This doesn't look all that naff, does it?
i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd144/bazzabearalbum/A...g
Privacy glass. Why? - shanna
We bought a second hand car and by chance it came with privacy glass on the rear windows. Its fantastic when the kids are watching a DVD on the portable dvd player in the back - no sun shinining on the screens! And we don't need those annoying kids sunblinds on the rear windows. Both my children have eye conditions and have to wear hats in the sunshine so its worth its weight in gold to us. Would never have gone out and chosen a car for it though and now wouldn't be without it.
Privacy glass. Why? - Bilboman
No problem with rear SIDE windows, but tinted BACK windows - legal or otherwise - are something I find extremely annoying. They reduce forward vision to one car ahead, whereas normally I can see two or three cars ahead, high level brake lights coming on etc.
Imagine all the cars on the road with tinted or blocked out back windows - they all become vans. 30 million white van drivers on the roads- somebody help us.

Edited by Webmaster on 07/04/2008 at 13:55

Privacy glass. Why? - boxsterboy
Our VW T5 camper has this, and I realised this weekend as we were away camping (in the snow!) that it is actually very good at retained privacy for us in the van without drawing the curtains, whilst still enabling us to look out at what was going on in the rest of the snow covered camp site. But in a normal car, forget it!
I've just gone by two cars with "privacy glass" at the back: a Ford Fusion and a Mini One. Now I can just about see that someone sitting in the back of a Range Rover or a Chrysler Voyager might be famous enough to want to be hidden from the public. But is Jordan going to go round in a Ford Fusion?

It occurs to me that this may be the most uselesss accessory since go-faster stripes.
Privacy glass. Why? - Brian Tryzers
For me, it goes beyond useless. Being tall, I sit far enough back in the car to look behind the door pillar before changing lanes. Having darkened glass there means my eyes have to take the time to adjust before I can see what's there, so I spend less time looking where I'm going.

I've driven Toyota Versos with and without darkened glass, and if, as seems likely, we end up buying one, you can be sure it'll be without.
Privacy glass. Why? - J Bonington Jagworth
"This doesn't look all that naff, does it?"

Very nice, BB. Helps reduce snow blindness, too...

Edited by J Bonington Jagworth on 07/04/2008 at 22:16

Privacy glass. Why? - BazzaBear {P}
Thank you Jagworth, I'm glad someone realised I was fishing for compliments! ;)

That was taken up Mow Cop on Sunday afternoon. I live 3 miles from the castle, and there wasn't a trace of snow left, but up there it was a total white-out.

s221.photobucket.com/albums/dd144/bazzabearalbum/A...g
Privacy glass. Why? - The-Nark
You have to hide behind something when dealing obnoxious substances ;-))

dealing obnoxious substances

What, Marmite ?!
Privacy glass. Why? - madf
Nah
You've got it all wrong.
You need privacy glass so you can (shock horror, gasps of amazement) smoke in your own car
or:
be unseen with a lawyer in the backseat.
or
carry around half naked models.

I'm applying for a job with the latter...
Privacy glass. Why? - jbif

BMW call their glass "sun protection glass"

Ah. To protect the sun from the unbearable brightness of BMW owners, obviously.
Privacy glass. Why? - Pendlebury
I have it and I think it is a good idea - if you saw how ugly my kids are you would realise I need to protect the public from them......................

Only joking - they're just like me really ???

No - I do not have it but can see the benefit as it does keep the car cooler in the hot summer months and protects the little brats eyes as well from glare.
I do have the shades that are contoured to the window shapes and they work equally as well - it does look like I have privacy glass until I remove them in the darker wintery weather.
The description is wrong though and calling it privacy glass get's people all worked up over nothing like the 1st 2 posts on this thread. They don't really understand why people have it and because some numpty calls it privacy glass they get all bitter and twisted.
It's like the baby on board stickers - they are the type of people that get worked up about them as well.
Clealy their lives are so perfect they have nothing else to get excited about.

And oldgit is just being oldgit - we would not have him any other way.

Edited by Pendlebury on 07/04/2008 at 20:36

Privacy glass. Why? - malteser
Out here on the Costa del Sol, if it's a big FWD with blacked out windows we usually reckon it's to hide the ton of hashish just landed from Morocco!
Privacy glass. Why? - oilrag
I have it in the back of my van. It means I can get in there for a kip and curl up on a duvet and pillows without people noseying in.

Also if your jaw sags open and tongue hangs out, you don`t cause a panic in the car park as you can`t be seen.
Really frightened a pedestrian once like that when napping in a car.

Yawn........

Edited by oilrag on 07/04/2008 at 21:50

Pendlebury reckons "privacy glass" keeps the car cooler in the summer and stops the sun's rays getting into his kids' eyes.

A Ford sales-man told me much the same thing but aren't most windows already slightly tinted these days? Isn't the glass UV resistant?

I wouldn't have thought all those blokes in the rap videos with the fur coats and jewellery were such family men but, judging by their motors, they must be.

Privacy glass. Why? - gmac
I ride a bike and any car I see with tinted glass I automatically flick the main beam on because the chances are they have not seen me.
The number of times I've had to emergency stop with people carriers reversing out of parking spaces into the main road...and BMW / Mercedes with tints and the auto dim dip rear view mirrors and door mirrors , why not fit the correct photochromic glass which does the job properly or have blinds which can only be used in daylight, similar to tinted visors on bikes.
If you can afford 40k for a BMW, surely the proper adjustable glass wouldn't be too much of an overhead.
Unless, you are a mafia boss or have some serious light problem with your eyes, would you drive after dark with a pair of sunglasses on ?
Privacy glass. Why? - Armitage Shanks {p}
gmac -I wasn't aware that photochromic glass, unless controlled electrically, was available in sizes bigger than spectacle lenses. Also, even I think it is unreasonable, but aren't tinted visors illegal on motorcyle helmets?

Edited by Armitage Shanks {p} on 08/04/2008 at 09:26

Privacy glass. Why? - FotheringtonThomas
aren't tinted visors illegal on motorcyle helmets?

When used at "night" (AFAIR).
Privacy glass. Why? - gmac
Also even I think it is unreasonable but aren't tinted visors illegal
on motorcyle helmets?

I have a light tint visor which does not raise any eyebrows when chatting to the boys in blue. I guess a total black out lens might cause concern. My visor has "For Daylight Use Only" stamped on the side and an E mark so as long as I stick to those guidelines can't see a problem. As for the legal side of it, don't know would have to be my answer.

The photochromic glass is available from one of the major (French - not sure if I can name names) glass maufacturers for cars.
I have it in the back of my van.

Blimey. A van with privacy glass?

I thought they were made of tin all over, ideally even the back doors.

Privacy glass indeed. Oilrag you shock me. Some sort of Chelsea van is that then?

Tee hee.
Privacy glass. Why? - graham sherlock
That would be a F1 Obermeister then.. Clue; It's not Bernie.
Privacy glass. Why? - FotheringtonThomas
Anyone care to explain why this is becoming increasingly popular.

There are at least two explanations...

1) "Warthogs".
2) The desire to obstruct other drivers view of the road.

I tend to favour the "warthogs" answer, though.
Privacy glass. Why? - oilrag
"Privacy glass indeed. Oilrag you shock me. Some sort of Chelsea van is that then?"
Lud,
After the violet interior of the abomination (cool then;) I created in the 60`s I keep things standard.
But `privacy glass` in the rear window with metal side panels works just fine in the van. I did think of fitting side windows and having a tint done, but didn`t want my road image altering.

It gets a lot of courtesy on the road (let out etc) from other commercials of all sizes and wouldn`t want to lose that.

If it had privacy glass at the sides it would look like a car, as its a car based van. I have thought about it however to get over the bridge at Dartford for £1.

Last time though (last year heading up North ) I accidentally went through in the £1 car lane and i`m still wondering whether I will be `arrested` by the bridge security ANPR and forced to appear at Bow Street, if I go through again.........

regards

Warthog? - Armitage Shanks {p}
That will be J*de Goody then! Privacy glass compulsory to protect us!
Warthog? - rogue-trooper
I have privacy glass on the MPV to stop the kids, who are lashed into their chairs, from having the full force of the sun on them. On my estate car I don't have it and it does warm up very quickly in the sun.
Privacy glass. Why? - Roly93
In some ways I wish I'd got this on my A4 Avant as an option. I think on huge great 4x4's and other vehicles such as the Chrysler 300C it does shout "look at me I'm a drug dealer or wanabee minor celeb", however we drive to Southern France quite a bit and the heavily tinted glass would sheild the kids from the sun quite well.
I dont think it looks too bad on the A4 personally, but does look stupid on some cars.
Privacy glass. Why? - Badwolf
I was always under the impression that privacy glass was to aid one to remove extraneous nasal effluvium in a discreet manner. That's what I use it for anyway...

Cheers.
Privacy glass. Why? - Ben 10
Do you carry salt and pepper for this finger buffet!
Two hands on the wheel , please.
Privacy glass. Why? - Badwolf
Good grief, I don't eat it! I find the thrill of the hunt far more exciting than consuming the prey. Anyway, as most privacy glass is installed in the rear of vehicles I'd have a heck of a job driving from there ;-)

I'm not Clarkson, you know!

Cheers
I'm not really sure I want to continue this tasteless aspect of the thread, but I would never do as Badwolf does while driving.

Principally because I'm worried about being in a crash and being taken to hospital with my index finger firmly jammed up my nose.

I feel better now I've told someone that.
When I was about 14 and at school in Plymouth, a boy called Hudson was one day attempting to bite a piece off the end of a chocolate-covered toffee bar behind his desk lid. It was winter and the toffee had set hard. Unable to bite through it, Hudson gripped the bar firmly in his teeth and attempted to snap it by pushing hard with his right hand firmly grasping the bar. It resisted. He pushed harder, trembling slightly with the effort. When the bar finally broke, he punched himself violently in the nose.

I got into trouble for laughing. Obviously I couldn't say what at, and that made the trouble worse. Still makes me laugh today half a century later.