1.8 GL Auto cutting out but ticks over fine. - fingers mclean
Hi Guys...
I need your help..My Golf is starting and running fine.. ticks over fine..once i put my foot down to drive away it dies..Its almost as if there is no air or a breathing problem ..I have changed the dizzy cap all the serviceable parts checked the timing everything's fine..If you sit in the car and blip the throttle its barks and almost dies but as soon as you leave it it ticks over great!!! I would say I'am pulling my hair out but that went year's ago!! any advise please fellas??
Thanks Ali

Shouting amended in the subject line and the year is ?

Edited by Pugugly on 03/04/2008 at 21:57

1.8 GL Auto cutting out but ticks over fine. - maltrap
have you changed the fuel filter?
1.8 GL Auto cutting out but ticks over fine. - fingers mclean
Yes changed that...I had a mate say it could be the cat thats choking the engine as if let running the exhaust fumes get really hot and the rear of the car..what do you fellas think any ideas??
1.8 GL Auto cutting out but ticks over fine. - piston power
You could try removing the cat does it rev then? it may be blocked or collapsed.
1.8 GL Auto cutting out but ticks over fine. - VR6
I had similar symptoms to you last year on my Mk3 VR6.

My problem turned out to be corroded wiring into the MAF. As I blipped the throttle the engine would move causing the wires into the MAF to move causing a stall.
1.8 GL Auto cutting out but ticks over fine. - Screwloose
fingers

A quick check for a blocked cat is to unscrew the oxygen sensor, leave a hole for the gases to escape and try it.

It will be a bit loud.....