South Americans trash air-con - Clanger
Yes, it's true, in a bid to distract footy fans from supporting our chaps by turning our cars into saunas, Brazilian extremists have apparently sabotaged the air-con on my 1992 Citroen BX.

The car last had working air-con last autumn; since then it has been laid up. I say working, but it used to cool the system below freezing so that there was no air-flow through the heater vents if it was left on for more than 20 mins. On 2 occasions, it switched on by itself. I knew the air-con was working by hearing the radiator/condenser fans come on at low speed and feeling the engine revs dip as the compressor kicked in.

Now, whatever the position of the air-con switch, the condenser fans are running, but the compressor is not and, tragically, no cold air comes out of the heater vents. It may be that the system is empty and needs recharging, but doen't that mean that it will be filled with refrigerant the system wasn't designed for? Are there any simple checks I could make before I give it to the local air-con man for a wallet-slimming experience? Dave N, can you make sense of this?

Darcy.

Sudden prayers make God jump.
South Americans trash air-con - Dave N
Well Darcy, knowing Citroen electrics, it could easily be someting electronic. From your notes, it looks like the evaporator thermostat has already gone awol, judging by the fact that the air got real cold, then the airflow stopped. All the condensation is freezing solid on the evaporator. This thermostat is probably buried in the heater box. It also does the compressor no good to be working like this.

Having said that, it's also at the age when something has rotted through and let out all that precious R12 Freon. Being R12, it should be easy to spot the telltale oily residue somewhere on the system. Gently depress one of the service valves and see if anything comes out. Don't stand directly over it, or use your finger, as if it does have a lot of pressure you'll get frostbite. If all you get is a little puff (not a poof) or a short burst, then it's empty.

Must confess, I've never seen a BX with a/c, and not sure I'd even take on a BX job if it came my way!

Regards changing refrigerants, take a look at www.autoair.co.uk/r12.htm for more info. Cost of repair and changeover, together with any other problems that may present themselves, could be quite high though. All parts would probably have to come from main dealer, as aftermarket suppliers only cover the more popular models.
South Americans trash air-con - Clanger
Dave N

Thanks for your wise words. I'll check out the local man to see if he reaches for his valium or his appointment book. I know the air-con makes the car an odd-ball, but it's a nice drive.

Darcy.

Sudden prayers make God jump.