1998 - lower Wishbones Fitted - Galaxy
My brother has just had the Lower Wishbones replaced after an advisory at a recent MOT test. Genuine Ford parts were fitted and he was charged for this work, including VAT, £378.00.

This sounds rather a lot of money to me, but I'd be interested to hear what others believe this job should cost.

Many Thanks

Edited by Webmaster on 03/04/2008 at 00:18

1998 - lower Wishbones Fitted - DP
What was the parts/labour breakdown?

"Officially", removing the nearside arm requires disconnection of all the engine mounts, and the engine/gearbox to be raised to allow one of the arm mounting bolts to clear the gearbox as it is removed. The accepted alternative in the trade seems to be to lift the bolt out as far as it will go, cut the head off it and knock it out the bottom, then fit a new bolt "upside down". The potential danger with this is that if the nut comes undone, the bolt can drop out under gravity. That said, does this ever happen?? I'm not so sure. I've also heard that the exposed thread sticking through the nut can foul the gearbox, but only in some cases.

Genuine Ford arms are about £60 a side with pattern ones about half that. To do it properly I would guess 3 hrs labour, so the price is about right. On the other hand, I would have done it myself the "bodgit and leggit" way using pattern arms for £50. But that's just me! :-)

Cheers
DP
The arms cost about £75.00 + VAT each, the labour was £180.00. I don't know the number of hours that equates to, I'm afraid it wasn't given.

I am aware of the two different methods of fitting the nearside arm. I've had a look at the car and this job was done by cutting the head off the old bolt and fitting the new one from below, so there wasn't any extra labour for undoing the subframe and raising the engine/gearbox.

I'm not sure of what the hourly garage rate is today. If it's £60.00+VAT then, for a 3 hour job, perhaps it's just about right. Just seemed rather a lot of money to me, that's all!

1998 - lower Wishbones Fitted - DP
Can't see it taking 3 hrs if they cut the bolt. I did the bottom arms on a Fiesta in 40 mins a side and that was for the first time, and on axle stands on a driveway with a limited-ish toolkit.

Even allowing an hour to cut the head off a bolt.....

Was this a main dealer?

Cheers
DP
Was this a main dealer?

No, it was an independent. I think a main dealer would have been cheaper!

Can't believe even they would have charged £378.00.

Edited by Galaxy on 03/04/2008 at 16:34

1998 - lower Wishbones Fitted - Alby Back
Galaxy - Just an idea, but why not get a couple of quotes for the same job from other local garages? Might give you a handle on the price. In fairness it was at least 4 years ago but I seem to think the same job (for one side only) on my wife's Mk ll was £78 at my local indy.
1998 - lower Wishbones Fitted - tonyrees68
sounds very expensive to me i had the wishbones done on my mondeo V reg with a full service and MOT by SMS in Slough also had the front disks replaced with the pads and it came to £440 all in ive used this garage for the last 8 years and always good service they are not cheap cowboys
regards tony