HDI 90 engine falters at steady speed - AllanN
Hi Guys
I have had a 406 estate for the last 5 years. It has a HDI 90 engine which has done high mileage.
To date the engine has been totally reliable and apart from a new clutch, cam shaft pulley and fuel lift pump in the tank I have not needed to have any work done to it, just regular servicing
4 or 5 times over the last few weeks however, there has been a little falter in the drive whilst at steady speeds - it feels a bit like hitting a hidden flood in the road then picking up again.
It first started a couple of weeks ago when I was in a 50 zone and holding it steady on 50 it faltered for a second then picked up again.
It has done it a couple of times since but under the same circumstances. Holding at about 60/62 steady and there is a little falter then pick up. Tonight on the way home the same thing so I watched the counter carefully and the the revs never faltered. It doesn't feel like it cuts out then jump starts, its a smooth operation.
It has never happened (yet) during acceleration
I plan to change the air and fuel filters to see if that helps but if that fails , does anyone have any other ideas?
As its intermittent would a diagnostics check see the fault?
Any guidance would help
Cheers
Allan

Edited by Pugugly on 02/04/2008 at 20:46

HDI engine falters at steady speed - Screwloose
Allan

That could be fun to find. A code-read is the place to start - if there is one; faults need to occur for a set period before being recorded.

Maybe a comparative leak-off test to see if one injector is failing?

Using any water?
HDI engine falters at steady speed - sinbad558
change the filters first and see what happens from there.
HDI engine falters at steady speed - AllanN
Hi
Not using any water at all - the oil is clear
Will try changing the filters first o see if that has any effect

Thanks
Allan
HDI engine falters at steady speed - happytorque
Change the air filter. I had this on my HDI a couple of years ago; new filter cured it instantly.