Stopped & searched. & how to address an officer? - Mapmaker
Driving along Birdcage Walk into Parliament Square on Saturday morning, I was pulled over. "Just doing random s44 Terrorism Act 2000 searches, Sir". "Good morning, officer" quoth I, cheerily.

"Blimey, Sir, that's a bit polite, addressing me as officer".

Leaving aside for one moment the outrageousness of a free subject of Her Majesty's being stopped and searched for no reason whatsoever, how else does one address a policeman?

Incidentally they didn't find any bombs in my car.
Stopped & searched. & how to address an officer? - Lud
In most of my recent conversations with the police I don't remember feeling the need to call them anything. It's probably more usual these days not to address them as 'officer' and some might suspect satirical or other intent (not in your case though I'm sure Mm, it's all in the manner).

It would be interesting to know though whether, if you had pronounced it 'oshifer', the bomb man would have whipped out a breathalyser and changed his tune.
Stopped & searched. & how to address an officer? - Baskerville
free subject of Her Majesty's

And that's the point at which your argument fell apart. How can you be a subject of someone and free?

I suspect 'Wotcha Copper!' might not have gone down badly.

Stopped & searched. & how to address an officer? - Big Bad Dave
With the same respect I reserve for everyone I'm meeting for the first time - big smile and a hello. Never ever had a negative experience with a plod on duty. The last time I was stopped, I shook his hand before getting back in the car (just a force of habit with me) and he looked a bit surprised. If I encounter someone who probably spends most of his day taking verbal abuse I make an extra effort to be polite. I save my most poisonous venom and contempt for people who really deserve it - supermarket staff.
Stopped & searched. & how to address an officer? - cockle {P}
If I encounter someone who probably spends most of his day taking verbal abuse I
make an extra effort to be polite. I save my most poisonous venom and contempt
for people who really deserve it - supermarket staff.

Eh?

Exactly what have supermarket staff done to deserve your ire.
My son works as a fishmonger in one of our local supermarkets and he certainly falls into your first category of someone who spends most of his day taking verbal abuse, obviously from people who feels he deserves their contempt for having the temerity to work in a service industry. I would certainly have walked away from his job by now.

Personally I always try to treat everyone with the same respect as I would wish to be treated until they give me cause otherwise. I would suggest a circumspect thing to do to anyone who has within their power the opportunity to make your life difficult or who is about to serve your food, be it in a supermarket, a restaurant, the local chippy or McDonalds.
Stopped & searched. & how to address an officer? - Pugugly
You should try my line of work.
Stopped & searched. & how to address an officer? - mjm
Is it really that bad being a mod on this site, then,PU :)
Stopped & searched. & how to address an officer? - Martin Devon
You should try my line of work.

What, Sorting us lot out, raising belligerent Springer Spaniels, driving fast cars, shooting and generally 'aving a Jolly. I'll tell you young man...........................!!

VBR..........Martin
Stopped & searched. & how to address an officer? - Armitage Shanks {p}
It may be rough PU but the wages aren't bad!
"Exactly what have supermarket staff done to deserve your ire."

My minimum weekly spend in supermarkets is a hundred quid, absolute minimum, each and every week of the year. Thats half as much again as my mortgage, twice what I'd lay out on a car and it's the same as I pay for a private play school.

So for my five grand (plus) a year, it would nice if I could at least get a trolley each and every time I arrived at the entrance and not have to wait ten minutes holding a three year old and five year old while the trolley boy gets his act together. I mean if your only task in life is to collect errant trolleys from around the car park and deliver them back to front of shop, how useless do you have to be to be useless at it? Of course I shouldn't rant at them that's clearly isn't the right approach and achieves little. I should hit them in the face with a shovel. If that's how they make me feel before I've even entered the shop, imagine how I feel by the time I've found a checkout where someone is actually working?
Shop online. I do it for the weekly shop, in my line of work I tend to "meet" clients, some of which would actually slap you in the face with a shovel for the price of a tab. (bleak but true)

On the plus side a kid I dealt with 10 years ago plus (no longer a kid then) who had been written off by everyone collects trolleys at the local Tesco. He is no longer in the 10 charges or less queue at the local Mags. In fairness he works hard there and always spits when he sees me (for some odd reason)
I secretly enjoy being angry Pug.

In all seriousness my biggest gripe is that in Poland supermarkets charge the same as they do in London, fresh produce is a bit cheaper but many things are much more expensive. Yet they pay the staff less than 200 quid a month so every week for them is like a Christmas week. It's a retailers dream come true. It would be nothing for them to pay for 10 extra till girls, it's just meanness in the extreme, the checkouts are chaotic. Brits simply wouldn't stand for it, they just wouldn't.

Stand by my point about the trolleys though and Asda, Walthamstow used to be the worst culprit. One time there was only a handful of people in the shop but the trolleys had gone already I got so angry that security came over and starting man-handling me so I went to sit in the car for twenty minutes to calm down. On my way back up in the lift I rode with a trolley boy who had a handful of trolleys. I smiled and said to him "they're like rocking horse poo around here" and he said "I know I thought I'd better go and collect some cos apparently some idiot a-hole of a customer just caused a terrible scene". I said "Some people really are awful aren't they".

Next week, rows of gleaming new trolleys - so hats off to them.
Stopped & searched. & how to address an officer? - ForumNeedsModerating
being stopped and searched for no reason whatsoever,

The reason is, of course, the provisions & intentions of the TA 2000. Probably applied because of the sensitive location & type/age of vehicle - maybe they wondered what reason you had to be there if you didn't immediately strike them as being a local resident?

I usually 'come across' in dress/manner/car-type as being slightly posh (although I'm not particularly..) & rarely attract a second glance from the Police in the 'I wonder what he's up to' stakes. My last 'pull' was in 1988 in Cambridge in the early morning , driving my black XJ6, in leather jacket, shades(!) & 5-day stubble - so definitely 'worth a look' in the parlance.
Stopped & searched. & how to address an officer? - hcm
If you've got 28 days (or is 42?) to spare you could reply in a variety of suspicious accents or make a 'tick tock' sound while he's looking in your car. It is rather worrying that we find ourselves in the position of being stopped like this. I must read '1984' again.
Stopped & searched. & how to address an officer? - Hamsafar
It's best to make sure you don't stand still, and flail your arms about while talking in a loud voice and interrupting and sucking your teeth. I've seen it on Roadwars, Traffic Cops etc...
I must read '1984' again.

Come come Uncle, surely a civil approach for a brisk search for security or crime-fighting reasons hardly amounts to totalitarianism? It can be a bit of a nuisance if you're in a hurry or have a body in the boot, I agree, but otherwise where's the harm? One certainly wouldn't want suicide bombers driving freely about (even if they can really).
Stopped & searched. & how to address an officer? - Fullchat
"Your Highness" is just fine. :-). Seriously, anything goes as long as the interaction is pleasant. Speak as you would wish to be spoken to yourself. I have been called 'Sir' by some well mannered individuals but it doesn't feel right.
Now I could give you you a list some names we would rather not be called!!
One certainly wouldn't want suicide bombers driving freely about (even if they can really).

I can say without the shadow of a doubt, they can't. ;)
Stopped & searched. & how to address an officer? - Robin Reliant
I got stopped last week for the first time in years. An unmarked Volvo pulled me for a routine check and gave me a form which said that Dyfed Powys Police were targeting people from outside the area (which I am not, but my numberplate is) as they were experiencing a high level of travelling thieves.

After establishing my details, they just had a quick check of the tyres, and reminding me that one of the fronts was "Almost interesting".

I must get it changed this week.
Stopped & searched. & how to address an officer? - GroovyMucker
I think "officer" is unusual.

Why not "Inspector"? Then when they demur, reply, "I'm sure it's only a matter of time."

;-)
Call 'em all Sonny, as they look about twelve some of them!

My dear old Dad was a PC in the Met' yonks ago and I grew up with these great blokes and had respect for them and they for me even as a child and then a young man. To my dismay about Eighteen years ago I walked into a local Police station and before I even had uttered one word a tieless copper said to me, "Yes Mate". Oh! no I said, I am Sir. His face was a picture. Priceless. No brain and even less humour.

How times have changed (for the worse)

Best reg's ....MD
Stopped & searched. & how to address an officer? - ifithelps
>> After establishing my details they just had a quick check of the tyres and reminding
me that one of the fronts was "Almost interesting".

One of the fronts, Robin Reliant?

Surely you mean all of them.
Stopped & searched. & how to address an officer? - lakelad
They were once constables or sergeants. Why are they now are all officers ? The Army has officers and men. Is it still OK to say "good morning Constable" ? Perhaps one of the boys in blue could enlighten us.
There are still Constables and Sergeants. They are not employees in the usual sense of the word but "Sworn Officers" swearing loyalty to the Crown and not HMG. Old fashioned, but be thankful its like that.
Stopped & searched. & how to address an officer? - Niallster
I call them all officer and am the model of politeness and respect.

What I say when they let me go on my way to myself out of their earshot is another thing...
I call them all officer and am the model of politeness and respect.
What I say when they let me go on my way to myself out of
their earshot is another thing...

'appens a lot then my son? tell us more!

VBR...........MD
Stopped & searched. & how to address an officer? - David Horn
"I say, old bean. For what reason has my progress been impeded on this fine sunny morning?"
Stopped & searched. & how to address an officer? - Alby Back
Right Bud, in deference to your uniform you have precisely 2 minutes of my time starting now, suggest you don't waste it. What can I do for you?

In my dreams ;-)
If he's wearing hand made Alt-Bergs he's pukka.

Edited by Pugugly on 02/04/2008 at 22:43

In that instance he'd get 3 minutes...............
Stopped & searched. & how to address an officer? - Manatee
What is the point of random checks for terrorists? It might deter me from drink driving but the prospect of a random search is not going to deter anyone who's ready to die for a cause, and random pulls must be the least efficient way of actually catching them.
Stopped & searched. & how to address an officer? - Robin Reliant
I doubt if random stops are quite as randon as they seem. Plod must develop a good nose for something that doesn't quite seem to fit.
Stopped & searched. & how to address an officer? - Cliff Pope
I doubt if random stops are quite as randon as they seem. Plod must develop
a good nose for something that doesn't quite seem to fit.

Exactly. "Random" stops, whether looking for drunks or terrorists, would be a nonsense. It would imply deliberately stopping say every 1 in 10 without any regard for whether the mororists or the cars looked suspicious. A little old lady with a hearing aid would be stopped because she happened to be number 80, but a car full of blokes in balaclavas with a missile launcher on the roof would be passed because they were number 81.

As for addressing policemen, they used to be addressed as constable, sergeant, or inspector. (Remember that old classic line in films when the phone goes - "It's for you, inspector"?) Only inspectors or above were officers.
"Random"

I guess I was stopped because I met their ideal profile of white and professional. Provided they stop enough of us, then that keeps up the quota for stopping snipand those who wear ear rings in their noses when they need to.

As they were stopping virtually every single car, they were obviously in desperate need of massaging their stats.

I thought "good afterable consternoon" might not go down too well...

Edited by Pugugly on 03/04/2008 at 20:09

Stopped & searched. & how to address an officer? - zookeeper
the authorities are using the terrorist exuse to keep the un washed masses in check using fear tactics , slowing eroding our civil liberties , they aint looking for terrorists they are looking for an easy £68-80 and 3 points
Stopped & searched. & how to address an officer? - jbif
exuse to keep the un washed masses in check using fear tactics , slowing eroding our civil liberties ,

In which case, they should speed up the process. I cannot stand you unwashed masses roaming around unchecked.
they aint looking for terrorists they are looking for an easy £68-80 and 3 points

I thought the unwashed masses never pay up (as proven countless times on Road Wars, and Traffic Cops), it is only the fine upstanding middle-class white professionals like Mapmaker in their Mondeos who pay up.
;-)

Edited by jbif on 03/04/2008 at 13:10

Vectra, value negative.
Stopped & searched. & how to address an officer? - Snakey
I would be interested in the percentage of these random harassments that actually caught someone that could be an offender under the terrorism act?
Vectra, value negative.

Negative? How does that work then? No scrap value? I thought the days when you had to pay to scrap a car had gone.
Or did you mean "negligible"?

Stopped & searched. & how to address an officer? - Bilboman
"Officer" is absolutely standard in the USA, but I agree with earlier posts that Inspector, Sergeant or Constable are appropriate salutations (after a quick check of epaulettes for pips, stripes or number). Many years ago, a schoolmate of mine received an extremely hard stare when he addressed a PC as "Constable" with a rather-too-heavy emphasis on the first syllable (Whoops, almost tripped the censor there!) There is always the odd chance of greeting/being greeted by a higher ranking officer, even a Chief Constable - (the late Michael Todd would often go out on night patrol with PCs, being a "hands-on" copper in the best sense of the phrase. He arrested three car thieves out on patrol one night IIRC.)
Referring to Pugugly's comment earlier, it is only in England and Wales that police officers swear an oath of allegiance to the Queen ("Our Sovereign lady the Queen" for British Transport Police).
Stopped & searched. & how to address an officer? - J Bonington Jagworth
"Good morning, officer"

Clearly the right thing to say. I'm not sure I could trust myself not to say 'ossifer' though, which would not be so good...
A daring fellow of my youthful acquaintance, used to address police officers as 'Constable', but with the merest hesitation between the 1st & 2nd syllables(!)
The same stout fellow (for indeed he was..) would often attract a barman's attention with an exuberant, "Excuse me bar steward...!"
Stopped & searched. & how to address an officer? - 007
>>>The Army has officers and men<<<

This reminded me of a TV sketch, many years ago.

Dick Emery was playing the part of a senior army officer and was showing a VIP around
the regiments barracks.

The VIP was so impressed by the way in which 'Colonel' Emery addressed each of his officers by name, that he enquired "What do you call your privates?".

Answer...."Tom, Dick and Harry" :o)
Stopped & searched. & how to address an officer? - Orson {P}
Constable, officer, yes, mate - however you want really. Most of us seem to expect the "Wot yoo want, 'kin' pig?" so someone who isn't automatically rude is nice!
As for the Terrorism stops - you'd be surprised how much ordinary crime these pick up - uninsured, drunk/drugged drivers, the odd wanted person etc. Stand there and wait, and eventually it will come to you!

O
You a police officer, Orson?

The great thing about living in a free state is that one does not have to submit to being stopped randomly by a police officer wanting to check our papers. If you want to return to 1940s Germany, then do. I resent being stopped randomly for the purposes of terrorist checks, when the apparent real reason is picking up "ordinary crime".

You may not like the fact that a policeman cannot stop one of HM's free subjects just because he wants to. If you do not like that fact, then campaign to change the law and introduce a totalitarian regime. Until that point... terrorism checks are for spotting terrorists.
One can't help enjoying your point Mapmaker, but are we really all that free, and have we ever been (since the advent of systematic policing I mean)? Plod has never hesitated to stop and question me on one pretext or another ever since I can remember, and I am not a notable miscreant or very obvious villain. If you live a full life in this town for forty or fifty years it's going to happen more than once, I can guarantee it.

It happens much more to the young of course, because of their shifty and suspicious air, Kevin-the-teenager attitude and the general probability that they are more likely than the middle-aged to be up to a bit of malarkey. I didn't like it at all when I was small, especially when plod was dumb and nasty as any general category can be sometimes. But I can't say I've minded much for years now. And plod has behaved better towards me since I reached apparent years of wisdom. Funny that.
I have just put Mapmaker's writings on this forum to the Warmtouch" test as explained here:

www.theregister.co.uk/2008/04/01/warmtouch_brings_.../

The results, which I have sent to MI5 :- "a person who feels like a victim" - Mapmaker lives alone or is still at home with his parents.

Edited by jbif on 04/04/2008 at 19:59

Interesting viewpoint from one of many British bobbies now working in Calgary, Canada:
"Every day on my way to work I pass children going to school, and they always wave to me," ... "In the UK, kids might wave, but not using all of their fingers."
"Often when you stop (criminals), they admit there are warrants out for their arrest. They say 'yes sir' and 'no sir', even when you're arresting them"
Full story here: www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/mar/25/canada
You may not like the fact that a policeman cannot stop one of HM's free subjects just because he wants to. ..and so on...

So you admit we are free then? If so, the free citizen cannot really complain about measures (or policing policies) that aim to maintain that happy state, surely? The irony of what you say is that if it we were in a true police state, the police would know already you weren't a terrorist or ne'erdowell - in a way, their 'imperfect' detection is testament & proof against your assertion or imaginings.
I resent being stopped randomly for the purposes of terrorist checks when the apparent real reason is picking up "ordinary crime".

Why?

I'm sure you're not a criminal, so you've nothing to fear. And every law-abiding citizen surely has a duty to help the police in any way he can, whether that's to stop terrorism or to stop ordinary crime.

Don't understand.
And, developing the "duty" theme further, if we fail to assist, then there opens up a division between the police and us. They cease to be our servants and we create an antagonism between us and them. Whereas if we assist in any way possible (I can remember giving a tow start to a couple of police whose car had broken down, maybe 20 years ago - dunno what elf and safety would do about that now) then we reinforce the point that they are there to police *our* society, according to *our* wishes.

Just random thoughts.

Edited by GroovyMucker on 05/04/2008 at 11:48

UK 2008 bears no-relation to 1940s Germany - read a little book called "Defying Hitler" by
Sebastian Pretzel and you may learn something.
Stopped & searched. & how to address an officer? - Mad Maxy
How to address police officers is obvious from TV detective progs where all the non-plod say things like "Well inspector..." or "If that were so, Detective Chief Superintendent...". (Yeah, right. These folk normally have plummy accents too.)

The other way round, plod always seem to introduce themselves along the lines of "I'm DI Smith, this is DS Jones." (Eh?)
" Thought those T5's were supposed to be pretty quick? Must be a rumour 'cos it's taken you ten miles to catch me up, or is it just that you are a bit out of your depth with a powerful motor laddie ? "

"Now what can I do for you today officer ?"

:-0)
Stopped & searched. & how to address an officer? - Fullchat
"Good morning/afternoon sir. You do not have to say anything but it may harm.................etc".

You see politeness costs nothing!
I dealt with a lad who T boned a fully marked up Jam Butty parked across the road. Moped rider (who by now was laid on the Tarmac) "Were you trying to stop me ?" Officer "looks like I did expletive stop you". Both gave the same account in Court, I asked the Officer to recall his exact words in Court and he did in all their glory, the only reason I did was that the Bench's average age was in the 60s and I wanted to see their faces. There was a lot of sniggering that day.

Edited by Pugugly on 06/04/2008 at 01:25

Stopped & searched. & how to address an officer? - J Bonington Jagworth
"not a criminal, so you've nothing to fear"

Isn't that the argument for ID cards? Given the problems of wrongful arrest (even DNA's not 100%) and HMG's difficulty in keeping any form of data secure, I'd say there's plenty to worry about.
If we want to live in a country where we can be stopped randomly just to see what crimes we are committing, then we can vote for it.

Currently we do not live in such a country. Random stops and searches are currently purely legal for Terrorism purposes. Fair enough, that's what the law says; I don't much like it, but it's the law.

The law does *not* allow an officer to stop an individual just because he feels like it. Until it does then other laws, introduced for other purposes, should not be used in that manner.

I was *very* glad that the officer did not open the glove box, where he would have found a four-inch long sharp kitchen knife (complete with remains of crumbs and butter from the last impromptu picnic). I have now removed this from the car.

Paranoid? Probably not.

>>
The law does *not* allow an officer to stop an individual just because he feels
like it.

The law may not allow it, but the officer's superiors allow it, and so do we.
Stopped & searched. & how to address an officer? - L'escargot
Sir or Ma'am (depending on whether the police officer is male or female) are titles given from respect. tinyurl.com/57d7o8
When my father was at Officer Training School in the 1960s, the commanding officer made things abundantly clear to the future officers/gentlemen/holders of a Queen's Commission.
"YOU will address me as SIR and I will address all of you gentlemen as SIR...But I will not mean it".
Probably an NCO, not the actual CO Bilboman...

'Mr Prince Harry, sir, you are a horrible little man...' etc., etc.
Stopped & searched. & how to address an officer? - scouseford
The law may not allow it but the officer's superiors allow it and so do
we.

>>
'We' being who?
Er, the population scouseford, as it is called... Us, knowImean? Those shoved from pillar to post by the gestapo (as some see it) or occasionally, fairly civilly if they are over 25 and sober, pulled for one reason or another by the old bill.
Stopped & searched. & how to address an officer? - scouseford
Understood!
Stopped & searched. & how to address an officer? - Orson {P}
Afraid I am, Mapmaker.
No need to be paranoid, and quite take some of your points, even though I may not agree with them all. This government in particular seems to have taken the UK from being a country where essentially everything was allowed if it was not forbidden to being a place where everything is forbidden if it is not specifically permitted. You personally may or may not have voted for them, but enough people did. If you (and I mean you as in society) don't like it, vote for someone else.
As far as Terrorism checks go - it's actually quite a lot of hassle to set one up. It needs to be a specific area and authorised for a Terrorism check. I have no idea where they are, though there are a lot in London. It essentially gives police the "random" stop power that we do not have for anything else. In reality though, as others have said, if police want to stop you, there are a number of powers that can be used to do so in a non-random way. It has always been so - back to the "sus" laws and further back during the 20's, 30's and especially the war years. Things aren't really any worse now in that sense than they were then. It is simply public perception that makes it so - added to the fact that we have to be more accountable now, and that means being more formal/filling out bits of paper etc. The traditional "mind how you go" is now a form called a GEN164 that takes (apparently) 7 minutes to fill out.
You will not get a Terrorism check set up to allow you to trawl for other non-terrorist crime.