C-Class Diesel / Oil Smell - oscarc1
Hi,

I recently purchased a 04 reg merc c-class saloon c220 CDI diesel with 90k miles. Car runs fine but there is always a lingering smell of diesel / oil in the cabin and outside the car. Patriculalry if you put the blowers on full when starting the car. There are no apparent leaks and the engine looks clean underneath the bonnet with no oil spills apparent.

Anyone come across this b4 or know why?

C-Class Diesel / Oil Smell - gmac
The smell of diesel outside is probably due to this car being Euro3 so no DPF.
The smell of diesel inside the car could be down to diesel from forecourts on previous owners shoes ingrained in the carpet.
Have these all been cleaned ? Maybe a new set of over carpets may help ?
C-Class Diesel / Oil Smell - b308
Can't see how not having a DPF or Euro3 makes any difference - I've had many diesels over the years and none of them smelt of diesel inside or out except when filling up - I'd tend to think that there is some on the carpets, or possibly a small leak (poosibly of vapour rather than fuel) from the engine bay - get someone to chech out all the connection pipes from the tank to the engine (and the tank breather).
C-Class Diesel / Oil Smell - Bill Payer
You'll probably get a better response on one of the MB specific forums - ie forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/index.php

A quick search would seem to point towards an injector leak.
C-Class Diesel / Oil Smell - b308
Mmm - not a bad guess, then... :)

Edited by b308 on 02/04/2008 at 10:38

C-Class Diesel / Oil Smell - maltrap
i'd double check all the breather pipework, small split= big stink!