96 1.8 petrol exhaust emmision fault EML on - barry1076
hi,i have recently bought a 1996 1.8 petrol vectra,it has failed its mot on the exhaust seal at the front leaking gases,also told there in no middle box and cars emissions are too high,my engine management light is staying on and the engine revs are going up and down on idle. are these all normal symptoms for the exhaust fault or could there be another fault ?

Edited by Pugugly on 01/04/2008 at 19:50

96 1.8 petrol exhaust emmision fault EML on - Dynamic Dave
Easiest thing to do is have the fault code read out. Takes away all the guesswork.
Fortunately as your car has a petrol engine and was made before 1999/2000 you can do this yourself by means of a paperclip and the instructions from the following website.

www.topbuzz.co.uk/info/fault_codes/fault_codes.htm

As regard the idling, I suspect the idle speed control valve could do with a clean. See:-

tinyurl.com/28cwyh

thanks but do you think its could be a good possibility that it is the exhaust which is causing the engine management light ?
Could be. Fix the leak and see what happens.
96 1.8 petrol exhaust emmision fault EML on - SpamCan61 {P}
The erratic idle could be linked to the exhaust, or a sticky idle air control valve, a very common problem on many Vxs of this era. Let's see what the codes are and go from there.
it is going up on the ramp over the weekend,i will let you know the outcome,thanks again
just got the car back,the breather was all blocked and had to be cleaned . it passed its mot but the egm light is still on and the car is stuttering slightly thru acceleration,idle now seems ok and car does not cut out anymore,looks like i will have to get the diagnostics done,any ideas ?
looks like i will have to get the diagnostics done any ideas ?

Paperclip trick, as previously mentioned.