Citroen Synergie Brake Discs - Boozeyp
I have just had to replace front brake discs along with pads (first time for both) at the 25000 mile service. They were coroded, scored and slightl out of true. Seems exceedingly short life span for discs.

Anyone had a similar experience?

Jon P
Citroen Synergie Brake Discs - Clanger
Mine lasted 'til 66K miles, but they're easy enough to change. 25K miles and corrosion suggests the brakes aren't being used enough. Do you ever travel 7 up, with roofbox, tow a caravan, or all 3?

Ulp!

PS the back brake drums are easy too - you don't have to take the wheel bearing off :-)

Darcy.

Sudden prayers make God jump.
Citroen Synergie Brake Discs - David Lacey
Xantia front discs didn't seem to last much more than 20K on heavily used fleet Xantia TD's

MG-Rover Questions? Click on www.mg-rover.org
It travels with 7 up frequently but no box or caravan. Interesting point about frequency of use. It is used sporadically. Are you saying that leaving the vehicle standing for days at a time allows corrosion to get a grip?

Thanks for the clue

Jon P

Citroen Synergie Brake Discs - M.M
Jon,

I think you're getting round to the problem. My question was going to be had the car been in extended storage before you bought it.

Did a dealer change the discs or did you see those faults yourself? Your discs were about halfway through their life by normal standards so they could well have been showing the faults you mention in a small way. Then the decision to change can be something of a personal one, if you were running on a budget they may well have gone another 25K.

David
Suspicion was raised when the brakes started slight juddering some 9 months ago. Then when winter tyres were being fitted, the mechanic pointed out very hot discs and he suspected binding calipers. He execised the breaks to ensure they were free. I kept an eye on this until the vehicle returned to UK but there was no further signs of binding or over heating.

Took car to dealers for service on return which is when the discs were flagged as being worn, scored and corroded. I agreed to them being replaced (I saw no option, did not want to compromise 3 year warranty) but asked for the old parts to be retained for inspection. Sadly the mechanic did not read the note on the service sheet, and discs were sent for scrape before I went to collect the car.

Finally, I am interested in your storage comment. I bought the car in a hurry when I decided not to keep the company 806. It was bought new at a significant discount from a main Citroen dealer as one of five Synergies that were "free allocation" or similar words. It was explained as five cars that Citroen had in the UK not against orders that were available first come first served on their dealer network.

This raises the question had the cars been sitting around for a while which might allowed corrosion to set in
Citroen Synergie Brake Discs - M.M
Jon,

If they started to judder and replacing them has cured that fault then the garage was acting in your best interests.

HJ often comments you ought to budget a set of brake discs and a battery if buying a car that has been long term stored.

My explanation would be.....

Anything that changes the physical state of a particular section around a brake disc can allow uneven wear. This will lead to the thickness variation that causes judder.

This problem can be caused when a vehicle is long term stored with the pads held in the same place on the disc for ages. It matters not if the disc rusts everywhere else and the bit behind the pads stays good, or that the rest stays good and the bit behind the pad rusts. In time (thousands of miles later) you will notice a judder due to the differential wear.

The same thing can happen if you are in the habit of braking very hard then leaving the vehicle with the pads in the same position. The heat soak from the pads will slightly affect the disc material and, in time, this will lead to judder.

Loads of cars I see have sort of "imprints" of the pad shape at various positions around the disc. This is due to the effects I describe above and often leads to judder.

David W