2004 DSE - annoying creak! - naik72
My 54 plate DSE has developed a rather annoying creak/vibration eminating from the parcel shelf over very poor services and hard acceleration. I have stuffed a cloth in between the shelf and the rear window which does seem to eliminate the problem for a day or two and then its back, is there anything more permenant that could be done?

thanks

{year added to you know where - as per the 3 separate requests}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 30/03/2008 at 15:41

2004 DSE - annoying creak! - ex-Triumph man
Sounds as though it could be in the area of the rear squab catches. Try releasing the seat catches (one either side in the boot) and pack discreet foam between the body and the seat. (Don't forget a good spray of WD40 at the same time). Check also that the seat release cables and rear speaker harnesses and clipped up correctly. Luggage can pull them out of their clips.
2004 DSE - annoying creak! - ex-Triumph man
Just had another thought. Does wet weather make any improvement. My line of thought is the rain could be keeping the suspension bushes lubricated. If so, get the WD40 out and don't forget to do the rear shocker top mountings as well.
thank you ex triumph man for taking the trouble for thinking about this, i am convinced this is not an external issue, it is definetly an interior problem. It just feels like somthing is loose inside (parcel shelf?) i am not technically minded at all(you may have alreday gathered) so i am about as advanced as stuffing a cloth to remedy the sitaution!!!! really annoying as i have not had the car 2 weeks!!! apart from this the car is sublime
2004 DSE - annoying creak! - TheOilBurner
I would have thought it is something simple like loose speakers.

The S60 doesn't have a parcel shelf like you might think of it. It's solid metal under the rear window, covered by fabric with speakers screwed in.

What might help is to sit in the back of the car and have someone else drive it, that should make it easier to work out exactly where it is coming from.
i think i have found the problem? i think the noise is eminating from the rear passenger door as when my wife pressed her hand on the wood trim, the rattle/creak stopped. The wood trim does not seem lose? so how can i sort this problem out?