1994 Diesel 1905 Engine overheated - jim234
Drove the car to work and as pulling into parking bay at the works noticed engine sniffy with overheating smells. No lights came on. Cooling system had lost all coolant through leak. Engine will not start though does turns over. What is likely wrong will it ever go again.
Regards
Jim

{year found via a forum search. Easier if you'd put it in in the first place}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 29/03/2008 at 15:23

1994 Diesel 1905 Engine overheated - Peter.N.
Is the engine turning over faster then usual? if so could be loss of compression due to no oil on the bores, or, cambelt failure, although I cant see how overheating would cause it. Did not the temperature gauge give any warning of the over heating. Could be head gasket failure or even a cracked head, you only generally get one chance with a 1.9 XUD.
1994 Diesel 1905 Engine overheated - jim234
I think it does turn over a bit faster than usual.
Does not appear to have the compression it used to though not entirely sure.
Could it be the glow plugs ?
Regards
Jim
1994 Diesel 1905 Engine overheated - RichardW
If you've run an XUD with no water in it, and now it won't start you have cooked the head gasket at the very least - most likely the head is warped and scrap. You will probably find trouble getting another head, easiest route would be to drop in another engine - but if the car is not A1, I'd just bin it and buy another one!
1994 Diesel 1905 Engine overheated - Martin1981
Unfortunately, it doesn't take a lot to destroy the head gasket on these engines, so if it has lost all its water then it's highly probable that the damage has been done. As the car is 14 years old, repair costs are likely to exceed the value of the car, especially if it has relatively high mileage. 306 diesels of this age can be bought for next to nothing nowadays.

Martin