1990 2.4TD - Steel Seal HG repair product - bacon&eggs
Afternoon all. My 1990 Volvo 940 2.4 TD (VAG lump) has statred to blow its head gasket. Its pressurizing the coolant and forcing it out of the weekest part of the system - the radiator plastic end cap. I have also noticed a tinge of oil in the expansion tank. I am having to top up the coolant about once a week - so in travelling approx 180-200 miles a week I am having to top up about a pint of coolant. I really dont have the time to change a HG at this moment and to get a garage to do it would send the old girl to the scrapper (a shame as its in good nick for its age).

I have noticed this stuff today and have never heared of it. It only has one stockist in Wales and lucky for me its in the city where I live. Have any of you used this product because at £30 a bottle I dont just want to take a chance on if it may work.

link - www.steelseal.co.uk/index.asp

Many thanks in advance.

How about I put the year & engine details in the subject header, seeing as you've not bothered!

Edited by Webmaster on 28/03/2008 at 16:59

Steel Seal HG repair product - Screwloose

Most of those "magic potions" only succeed in clogging the radiator solid - and ruining everything else exposed to coolant.

Try one if the high-tech radseals first; that could well be a head cracked behind a pre-chamber and those will sometimes seal up.
1990 2.4TD - Steel Seal HG repair product - bacon&eggs
How about I put the year & engine details in the subject header seeing as you've not bothered!

Thank you for adding that. The question is not about the car itself but the wizard in a bottle treatment so I assumed that adding the YOM and engine size were not that important to the thread title. After all this stuff can be put in any type of car or engine.

But rules are rules so I apologize for failing to add the info.

I think that its going to be a new head gasket. The bottle costs 2/3 of the price of a new gasket.

Edited by bacon&eggs on 29/03/2008 at 11:09

1990 2.4TD - Steel Seal HG repair product - marty1979
Have you looked at this stuff? www.kalimex.co.uk/section.html?secpath=01.04.&pgid...7 Saved me a few times and if you search around on the net you'll see that it's done wonders for others too. Of course I see it as a temporary fix until the proper job can be done, but some have been running their cars with this for months/years after the first signs on gasket failure with no ill effects.

Edited by marty1979 on 29/03/2008 at 14:06