2002 2.0 GTi - Trouble starting and something blew - Turts
I have a VW Golf GTi 2002reg aprox 58000 miles and had cam belt changed. The car is regularly serviced but it has recently taken a few seconds to start once the key is turned and occasionaly made a strange noise (squeal) when it fired up.

I mentioned this to my VW garage at the last service in Jan but they said they couldn't find a problem so I continued to use the car even though it wouldnt fire first time when the key was turned.

This morning I turned the key and as it was trying to turn over (couple of seconds) something under the bonet blew with a small poof and white smoke comimg out from under the hood. A bit like a small magnesium flare had been lit.

Does anyone have any idea what this could be as I'd like to have some idea before I spend hundreds of pounds at a garage to discover the problem.

I admit my knowledge of cars is limited but could it be the alternator or maybe a turbo that blew?

Any ideas much appreciated.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 27/03/2008 at 18:40

2002 2.0 GTi - Trouble starting and something blew - Screwloose
Turts

The most likely cause would be a corroded main cable connexion. Does it still turn over?
2002 2.0 GTi - Trouble starting and something blew - Red Baron
Certainly sounds like something arced. Was there a smell with it, perhaps as if someone was doing soem welding?

Arcing happens when a very small gap opens between two metal surfaces that should be continuous. Screwlooses corrosion can have this effect. This gap is called open circuit and nothing happens (your car did not start first time). But, when you apply a high enough current (as when starting the car or literally burning through the corrosion layer) the car may eventually start. The puff of smoke is created when somethin has got so hot that it vapourizes. Maybe the corrosion has been burnt off, or it could just be oil or grease preventing a good connection between the metal surfaces.

I would get the thick cables to the starter, alternator, battery, earthed chassis checked.
2002 2.0 GTi - Trouble starting and something blew - Turts
It does turn over if you turn the key but I've only tried it for a couple of seconds as I was worried that I may do more damage so havn't tested to see if it will start yet.