1997 2.0 ti - hole in exhaust, now won't rev much - loulawson
My rover 620ti recently blew its mid section of exhaust, and near at near enough the same time, my engine will not go above 2800rpm in any gear including idle. It basically cuts out to below the threshhold before it started to drop off in revs. Does the fact my exhaust have a hole in it affect teh engines rpm range, as in is there any type of sensors that link into exhaust emmissions to the engine management system? I would like some advice, before i take it into a garage for a hefty bill. Could it be the fuel filter, if so where is it located?
Regards.

{subject header made less vague}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 26/03/2008 at 18:31

1997 rover 2.0 ti - Screwloose
lou

Is the exhaust or cat blocked? When revved; are the gases from the tailpipe sluggish and very hot?

If you completely remove the oxygen sensor; does that help it rev?
1997 rover 2.0 ti - loulawson
where is the oxygen sensor located mate?
lou

In the exhaust at the base of the manifold.
Is it easy to remove and will this have an adverse affect on anything else? If it is not this do you know where the fuel filter is located, possibly a fuel starvation problem??

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 26/03/2008 at 18:51

The point of taking it out, is to leave a hole for the gases to escape and see if that makes a difference. The filter is on the bulkhead.

It sounds as though you would be better off taking this to a garage.
not really investigated the engine yet, i will give it all of fri afternoon, as i am not at work. I am an engineer working on huge marine diesels, so an engine is an engine to me, but now i know where to start it will save me time.

Regards
1997 rover 2.0 ti - yorkiebar
Im curious why you suspect fuel filter?

If you cant undo the sensor, can you undo the exhaust in front of cat? See if it revs freely then?
I suspect the fuel filter, as when an engine increases in load (revs) the demand for fuel is greater, therefore if the filtration is poor, the flow ultimately to engine is poor and the engine will begin to hunt, and fall off in power, however i did not realise a breakdown of the cat would have this effect on the engine performance.
I will be investigating the appreciated advice tomorrow as i can not see anything now! What bulkhead is he on about ref fuel filter, between engine bay and cabin?
lou

You've been working on ships too long - cars don't really need to be watertight and only have the one. Our friends across the pond call it a firewall.
Screwloose

Funny i like it, maybe i have!

So in your opinion, you suspect the exhaust/cat system is at fault. I will try what you suggest, i still can not site this fuel filter though!

Cheers

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 26/03/2008 at 23:19

lou

I'm probably invoking the Curse of Murray Walker here; but petrol filters rarely suddenly clog in the UK - the fuel is too clean. Unlike ships; no black, bacterial, goo.

The filter should be on the bulkhead, driver's side. Little round, black, metal, thing. [Unless it's not the original type.] Follow the hose back from the fuel rail.

Combined with known exhaust problems; a car that won't rev always makes me think cat blockage.