EU says bus drivers can't drive 31+ miles at once - movilogo
Story here

tinyurl.com/3ywftf

"Passengers are having to change bus partway through their journeys to comply with an EU directive.

The legislation stops drivers clocking up more than 31 miles behind the wheel without a rest.

If a journey is any longer, the driver must pull over and wait for a replacement. "

EU says bus drivers can't drive 31+ miles at once - hxj

Of course you forgot the important bit -

it only applies to drivers who do not get 4 days off including at least one 45 hour break on average once a fortnight, for example 2 off 5 on 1 off 5 on 1 off 5 on 2 off etc

the 50 km limit applies as the is no need to apply the EU limit to journeys below that limit.

EU says bus drivers can't drive 31+ miles at once - Bagpuss
Usual misrepresentation from the Mail regarding anything to do with the EU. Basically, according to this legislation, drivers on routes longer than 50km are not allowed to work more than 9 hours a day without a 45 minute break. Sounds eminently sensible to me.
EU says bus drivers can't drive 31+ miles at once - Round The Bend
Cure for high blood pressure = avoid reading the Daily Mail.

Edited by Round The Bend on 26/03/2008 at 10:17

EU says bus drivers can't drive 31+ miles at once - qxman {p}
These anti-EU stories that some papers run really are pathetic. The trouble is that there are a lot of thick people who take these articles at face value.

Remember all the fuss about the Airbus 380 being late an over-budget? Airbus got a good hammering in many of the papers because they are a European company. Well it seems that the new Boeing 787 is running late (18 months +), over-budget and many parts are having to be re-engineered. Not many papers reporting it though.
EU says bus drivers can't drive 31+ miles at once - jc2
I see Boeing are also suffering electrical problems-just like the Airbus!
EU says bus drivers can't drive 31+ miles at once - madf
I'm afraid you are all wrong about the Daily Mail.
It tells the truth all the time.
Trouble is: it's not the whole truth and you don't know which 50% it has omitted in order to get a good story.

It's as bad as:
The Sun
The Mirror
The Guardian
The Times
The DailyTelegraph
The Independent

plus any others daily or weekly newspapers I have omitted in the interests of brevity.

Anyone who believes fully in anything any newspaper says would also believe Tony Blair told the truth about WMD. That includes about 500 MPs at the time of going to war:-(

Edited by madf on 26/03/2008 at 14:50

EU says bus drivers can't drive 31+ miles at once - Stuartli
>>"..would also believe Tony Blair told the truth about WMD">>

...or that Gordon Brown tells the truth about present day inflation or quietly forgets, when mentioning inflation figures of up to 15 per cent in the early 1990s, that inflation under Labour in 1976 peaked at 26.9 per cent and that the Government had to borrow £2.3bn from the IMF to bail itself out as a result.

Or that Harold Wilson said that the devaluation of the pound would not hit people's pockets.

Edited by Stuartli on 26/03/2008 at 15:00

EU says bus drivers can't drive 31+ miles at once - uk_in_usa
The problem in this case is the bus companies refuse to fit tachographs because of the expense.

Coaches all have them, hence they have no problem.

I'm no supporter of the EU but there are plenty of valid reasons to have a go at it, this is not one of them!